Sight Words for Grade 2/3

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by JMG11, Aug 22, 2009.

1. JMG11

JMG11 Rookie

Aug 22, 2009

I'm not new to teaching, but this will be the first year I am teaching my own classroom (not prep coverage or small groups) and is also the first time I will be starting at the beginning of the year.

That being said, I'm unsure of where to start with my sight word/word wall practice. Are there specific words to focus on for each grade? Do I review grade 1 words? Do I re-teach words? Do I teach both grades the same words?

I was thinking of reviewing grade 1 sight words the first week through flash card games and seeing which words the majority were familiar with and going from there.

Also, I don't have a mandated spelling program and am not sure what I should use... does anyone have a good resource for a combined grade?

Thanks in advance!

3. dunwool

dunwool Rookie

Sep 2, 2009

I don't have a mandated spelling program but our HM reading curriculum has some words that are suggested. After looking them over I decided that I didn't like them at all so I came up with my own list. I used a combination of some spelling books I have in my room and dolch lists and other lists online that I searched under Google. I do 10 words and 2 challenge words per week. The kids like that because they can challenge themselves. My students need phonics help this year desperately so the "create your own spelling adventure" has really been nice. If you PM me I can email you my list that I created for the year to take a look at. I am a third only class but it might help.

4. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Sep 12, 2009

I love spectrum spelling. It teaches children the rules about spelling so that they actually apply them in their writing. Once the kids have a spelling test we add the words to our word wall and they are no longer allowed to write them incorrectly when they have our word wall resource. I think it is important to teach the rules of spelling so that kids have some kind of clue HOW to spell words correctly and do not rely on their memories. It also gets kids out of the habit of sounding out every single word and making them think about spelling things correctly when you add an accountability factor. Hope this helps!