Sight Words and Other Standards

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by MorahMe, Nov 28, 2010.

1. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Nov 28, 2010

A little background: This is my first year back in my current school after five years in other places. When I last taught here, there was no K curriculum, and they were happy with whatever I managed to teach with very few resources. I wasn't happy with the set-up, because I felt like the first grade teachers would always be disappointed by how little the girls knew coming in.

This year, they added in a reading curriculum, which I am VERY happy about. I don't have to try and think of ideas off the top of my head, and do all the research on my own. The program we are using is Beginning to Read, Write, and Listen from Macmillan/McGraw Hill. The program strongly discourage sight words, and recommends that you only expect the children to read and write words with the letters they have already learned.

Here's the problem. Last week, we had a massive faculty meeting, in fact, the first one since the start of the year. The principal introduced the National Core Standards, and basically told us to do the best we can to incorporate them into what we are already doing in class, and to come to her or her assistant with any questions.

Before I go to either of them (I can't locate my folder, and don't want to go to them without it. This long weekend really messed up my organization!) with my questions, I have some for all of you:

1. As I said, the program I'm using strongly discourages teaching sight words. One of the standards I was given is that the students should know basic sight words. Should I ignore what the program says, and start incorporating sight words into my curriculum, or continue as I've been doing until now?

2. If I add sight words to my curriculum, where is the best place to get a list of sight words? What's the best order to teach them?

:confused: :help:
    (More questions to come, as I continue to review the standards!)

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 28, 2010

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Nov 28, 2010

I don't think it can hurt to incorporate sight words into your curriculum. The standard here is 40 by the end of Kinder and they have to pass a 100 word High Frequency Word recognition test to go from 1st to 2nd Grade-so believe me, in addition to phonics we incorporate sight words.

I wouldn't expect them to be able to spell them because so many don't follow phonics rules, but incorporate them into activities, you bet!

5. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Nov 29, 2010

As part of our RTTT requirements for assessing K teachers, I now have to teach the preprimer and primer lists of Dolce sight words to my students. My value as a K teacher will be based on their ability to read these 93 words. Only about 25 are covered in our reading program so I will be adding a lot of activities including good old flash cards.

6. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Dec 17, 2010

We are expected to teach 75 sight words and the students must recognize 60 of them by June. When I teach a sight word, I do expect students to use it correctly, spelling included because it is a word they should know! I would look into surrounding districts. What words are they teaching? Start with those and then word with the words in your read aloud big books, guided reading (you do that right?) and the dolch lists.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 18, 2010

Morah, I believe you are referring to the Common Core Standards to which a majority of states have adopted. NJ has adopted them but then each district writes curriculum based on those standards. I am currently working on a committee to write our curriculum. It is a lengthy process. If your district has not yet written curriculum to align with the standards, you could collaborate with your grade level partners and articulate with the first grade teachers to establish baseline lists to use. You could start with the Dolch list...there are other such lists available online and in published resources.

8. letsteach

letsteach Comrade

Dec 18, 2010

I would definitely be teaching sightwords simultaneously with phonics. I teach sightwords that correspond to the phonics the children have learnt. The phonic program I use is Jolly Phonics and the first 6 letter sounds are s, a, t, i, p and n. From these 6 letters I teach: I, it, is, a, an, and as. The next 6 sounds are c/k, e, h, r and m. The next sight words are he, his, has, am, are, can, me, and basically any more that are on the Meow Magic list of 100 words that can be spelled using the letter sounds learnt so far. I change the order of teaching the phonics because by now the children need to know 'th' and 'ee' (for this, that, the, and see). When there are words that cannot be sounded out, eg, 'are', I become quite theatrical in how the word is trying to trick us. (The word lists is Meeow Magic are listed under different colours and as the children learn each list, they are presented with a certificate marking their achievement).

I do give the children sightword homework, they take a folder home with 4 words. The 4 words make sense, eg, I am at the, I can see a. Whilst it makes sense on initial reading, they have to be able to read the words randomly. (I copied this idea from a grade 1 teacher and it works brilliantly with my students). Once the children have completed 8 rows of words, they are then given spelling homework of the same sightwords. Starting at the first 2 rows (I am at the can see a), this then becomes revision and they use the look, copy, write and cover method.

If you email, I can send you details and copies of forms, explaining is rather tricky.