sight word center

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by love2teach, Oct 19, 2006.

1. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Oct 19, 2006

Does anyone have a sight word center? I am looking for ideas.....

first grade :)

3. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Oct 19, 2006

I have the students play concentration with sight words. I pair up students that know the words and the ones that are still learning them. Xerox copy two sets of words and put in a folder. I have sets of words for different levels of sight words.

4. countrygal

countrygal Rookie

Oct 19, 2006

I have a sight word powerpoint for my kids. It has two words on each page. Pair a high student with a lower one. You can how fast the slides change. The students love trying to see how quickly they can read it. Also, I have sight word flashcards. Each child practices the flashcards in their folder. Then, they have to read a decodable book or poem that uses the sight words they have just read. They highlight the sight words too.

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 19, 2006

I spy a word on the word wall that means.....

Crossword puzzles

Cryptograms (they tend to fill in the rest of the word when they recognize part of it)

They can work in a small group and play word bingo

You can make a file folder game (look like chutes and ladders or something) and change out the index cards in the middle of the board frequently. The cards can have vocabulary comprehension questions, be asked to spell stuff, etc and if they get it right then they advance so many spaces on the board).

Ask them to categorize the words (by theme, word families, singular/plural, present/past tense etc depending on what skill you are working on)

Ask them to put things in ABC order.

Have them pick 5 words, write 5 sentences and draw 5 pictures that show what those 5 words mean.

At Easter time I wrote words on sentence strips and cut each letter up. I put the mixed up individual words in the plastic egg. I put a sticker on the egg and corresponding stickers on thier worksheet. They had to tell me what word was in the egg.

small scale scavenger hunt (write those clues using sight words)

Have them make their own index card weekly and punch holes and put them on a ring to keep a ongoing vocabulary study ring.

6. CBean

CBean Rookie

Oct 19, 2006

Here is a link to some fun sight word games:
    http://www.teachers.net/lessons/posts/485.html
    I really like Bang! from this list.

Also, I motivate students using Rainbow Words. You can see it at www.RainbowWords.com but here's what it basically is:

You choose the words you want to teach and then break them up into 6 groups, one for each color of the rainbow. You post a big rainbow on a bulletin board and then post words on each color arc as you introduce them (usually a few per week). The students have to learn all 6 words in the purple arc and then they get to color in the purple arc on their own paper and they get a little award certificate or pencil. Then they learn words that are posted on the blue arc, green, and so on so it's a great motivational tool - not quite as boring as memorizing lists on paper. Each arc is successively bigger, so each arc holds more words and is more challenging.

I send lists home to the parents and give them activities they can do with their children to make it fun. The kids love it because they feel special when they "pass" a color. Some of them gets really serious about getting to the final red arc and just practice, practice, practice. It's also great because I can see who is stuck on the purple arc (I, a, the, in, it, was) and who is zooming through and on red before everyone else.

It's on www.rainbowwords.com

Good Luck!

7. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Oct 19, 2006

I have sight word bingo. The kids love it. They all have their little bingo cards and one kids always gets to be the caller. They help each other find the words on the cards.

8. herins

herins Companion

Oct 21, 2006

I have them write the five words on a piece of construction paper. They then decorate each word with a different craft material (tissue paper, yarn, sequins, etc.) I think I actually photocopied the words for them to glue on...

They write the five words with coloured chalk on black construction paper (normal sized printing, written many times). Tedious, but they actually love it!)

Cutting out letters from magazines to make the five words. If they have extra time they can find the letters for their name too.

I photocopied letters onto construction paper and cut them out into 1 inch squares. They search for the letters and spell the words, gluing them onto paper.

Memory, crossword puzzles and Bingo games (use the 5 new words and other word wall words)

9. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Oct 21, 2006

I wrote the sight words on a Twister game and also on the spinner, so the person spinning has to call out the word for the players to place their hand/foot on. They love it. I also have a picnic basket of play food and the words for them written on paper plates and they have to match them up-it's not sight words, but it gets them sounding out the food words.