Sight Word Activities?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by aen05, Sep 20, 2010.

1. aen05

aen05 Rookie

Sep 20, 2010

Anyone have any fun games or a way to make sight words exciting? My team leader gives me a list of 10 words each week and my kids have a test on them every Friday and I want to make learning the words more exciting for them. Thank you :)

3. treysmom

treysmom Comrade

Sep 20, 2010

Have you checked out making learning fun? Click on activities & go to the "s" you will find some sight word activities

4. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Sep 20, 2010

Already?? Do all your students have their letters and sounds mastered? It seems early and my kids still need to learn 60 words this year.

Anyway, I digress...
    We play memory with the words, hide something under one and the kids name the words until they find the right one, put them all in a bucket and draw them out and collect them until they get one that says "crash" and they have to put them back, we spell them out, write them and read them, highlight them in our books and use them in our writing.

5. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 21, 2010

Just out of curiosity, how many of the kids actually learn and retain all 10 words? That seems like a lot...We do 1 word a week.

6. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Sep 21, 2010

I totally agree. 10 words is ALOT. We also only do 1 word per week.

7. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Sep 21, 2010

10 words a week!!?? I don't even get through 10 words a month! My goodness, that is rough.

8. treehugger

treehugger Rookie

Sep 21, 2010

we do about 2 a week, sometimes one. 10 is a lot!

I like to play "word wall race" with my students-I split them into teams and we use the white board-I call out a sight word they have already learned, and they must write it correctly on the white board-they can use the word wall for help. The first to get it gets a point for their team-they love it! I mostly use it so that they learn how to use the word wall for help when they need to write a word, but it works to help them recognize it too because they need to recognize it on the word wall in order to write it. However I don't play this until after there are quite a bit of words up there. We also play this games with letters in the beginning of the year, and sometimes numbers or number words too.

Another game my students love is word wall clown, which is like hangman but instead of a hanging man, I draw a clown. More k-friendly I think!

9. newkteacherfl

newkteacherfl Companion

Sep 22, 2010

My kinders have started sight words already, as well. However, we have 5 words per week, and the students have to pass their list with 100% before they can get the new list. If they miss a word, they have the same list the following week. Last week was our first week doing it, and 12 out of my 17 students passed the first list (I, see, a, big, little). However, I have a very advanced class, with only a handful that have not mastered their letters and sounds. I also have 5 students that were retained in k last year, so they are ready to learn words.

10. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 22, 2010

I did some interventions with K last year... they start sight words about halfway through the first trimester, and do 3 a week. When I was practicing sight words with them, one of their favorite things to do was play bingo with their words.

Or, I'd hide them inside plastic Easter eggs, they had to open the eggs and read the words.

11. prissy1

prissy1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2010

We play sight word basketball. The kids are split into two even groups. They sit in two lines. The first two start off. I show a word, the first to read it gets a point for their team. That student also gets to shoot a ball into a basket. If they make it their team gets two more points. THEY LOVE IT.(We do it with letters and numbers)

12. MNTeacher

MNTeacher Rookie

Oct 12, 2010

Here are a couple of my favorite sites to visit. I made a lot of these games over the summer.

http://www.theschoolbell.com/Links/Dolch/Contents.html

http://www.kellyskindergarten.com/

I also put the words on a blank game board (found on the first link). They shake the dice...say they get a 3...they have to read the next 3 words. If they can't read the second word, they stop at the word before it. Then it's the next players turn. They can't advance until they can read the word. I don't overwhelm them with all new words. I use both words they know and new ones.

Hope this was helpful!

13. SophieLou

SophieLou Rookie

Oct 12, 2010

Hubbards Cupboard has some really good sight word booklets!! Good luck!!

14. grassyknoll

grassyknoll New Member

Oct 13, 2010

One of my friends uses Sight Words with Samson. Its an online program, and she says her kids love it. She is claims it is a great teacher, taking advantage of repetition and reinforcement. Hope that helps!

15. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Oct 13, 2010

We play Roll a Word. I write the words on blocks. The children have a chart with the words on them and they roll the block. They read the word then color in a spot on the chart. The word that reaches the top first is the "winner." They love doing this and seeing which word is the winner.

16. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Oct 14, 2010

My kids keep word card bags. Every time we learn a new word they get a card to put in their bag. We then play games with the cards. A simple game that they love is "kids vs teacher." I have the kids spread their cards out in front of them. I then call out a word and start a timer (usually around 10-15 seconds depending on how many cards we have)and they have to have their card up in the air before the timer goes off. If everyone in the whole class has the word up in the air in time then the kids get a point. If even one kid doesn't have it up in time then the teacher gets the point. The lower kids of course look to see what cards the other kids are holding up which is fine with me. The kids always win which they thinnk is funny, but I tell them that I like to lose because that means they know their words.