Sigh

Discussion in 'General Education' started by yearroundteach, Oct 26, 2011.

1. yearroundteach

yearroundteach Companion

Oct 26, 2011

This is more of a vent than anything else. I am not really looking for advice but if someone has some type of insight that will make my life easier please don't let me stop you from sharing.

I am just so tired of this school year. I started out the year with a vow to be positive in every situation and to see the bright side of things. But now a couple months into the school year I just don't have it in me. There are just too many things "wrong" that I'm having a hard time seeing what is "right". There is no time in my day with the new Common Core. I feel like all I do is shove info down the students' throats and then assess. Then there are the students themselves. I have never had a group like this. There are some students who are absolutely amazing :thumb: but like I said above, they just get lost amidst those with issues. Nearly 80% of my class just doesn't care. They do not read directions, do not apply skills/strategies I work one on one with them to develop, rush through work, etc. I have never given up on a child in all my years of teaching but boy are some of these students making it tempting to just say "Fine. If you don't care then I don't care. Fail all your work if that is what you'd like to do". I then have 2 special ed students on top of that who need my assistance nearly 100% of the time and I just don't have that to give. Add in my friend that I posted about a few weeks ago that I feel could possibly have auditory processing issues or something similar and I feel like I'm about to lose it at any second. Add to that that my school is just not being run very efficiently, fairly, or logically and it just makes everyday miserable.

Well thank you for letting me vent. :dizzy: It probably didn't do much good as far as fixing it but I just needed to say (type) it all out loud to someone other than my husband (who I am sure is very tired of it by now).

3. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Oct 26, 2011

Sounds exactly like my classes!!!!!!

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 26, 2011

I also vowed to have that positive attitude, but too many stupid situations popped up too soon. :) Seriously, I did enter the year with a great mindset determined to maintain that, but I was just faking it before long...and I don't like doing that.

5. yearroundteach

yearroundteach Companion

Oct 26, 2011

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I was able to sustain the positivity and good mood for awhile on the thought "it will get better". The kids will get it together more, admin will start making better decisions, you'll figure out how to manage more content, etc. But before long I saw it just wasn't getting better and the positive attitude wained day by day. I have never been good at pretending so I didn't even try to fake it. Everyone would've seen through me in a second. My face is too expressive especially when I feel like this :mad: and :( and :rolleyes: for good measure.

6. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Oct 26, 2011

I tried to fake it and have a positive attitude too, and I ended up having a major breakdown. I have to accept that I really hate my job but also that I have to work at it at least until the end of the year. My dilemma is always working 24 hours a day to do the job the way it should be done, or work a reasonable number of hours a day and never feel like I am doing the best job I can do. I just had to accept that the school decides my work load, and if they are willing to accept my teaching with the course load I have and 45 minutes of planning, then so be it.

I vent when BF gets home from work for a little bit if I need to, and on here as well, and then I move on.

7. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 26, 2011

It is hard to stay upbeat all the time. I sure can't. One thing you might try though is to grab a drink, a comfort snack and just relax on your couch and start putting down things on paper that you like and naming what IS going well. It might start out slow but soon you might be surprised at the things that come rolling out. Sometimes we need these reminders to ourselves to keep going. Don't try to put expectations on this exercise and no buts. Just let it flow. Even if you only get a few things out the first time, it will likely jiggle something else later.