Sigh..boiled milk over onto gas stove top & now it won't light..help?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by LMichele, Nov 5, 2012.

1. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Nov 5, 2012

I tried a second attempt to make a chair latte this morning using a liquid chai mix & milk. For the second time in two days, it boiled over. Yesterday my the burner lit up fine, today it hasn't.

It's a gas stove that uses an electric pilot light (I think?) I can hear it clicking when I turn it on, but it won't light. I've been reading to light it using a match & letting whatever is in there melt down and clear out..does anyone have experience with this?

3. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Nov 5, 2012

Make sure you clean out all the pieces and put them back exactly as they go. If I don't put the burner parts exactly back, it won't light - especially the part that fits over the igniter and the part that goes on top of it.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 5, 2012

It's probably a bit clogged. Id take apart the burner...remove the disk at top and the ring...soak in hot soapy water, use a brush to scrub. Rinse and dry....you might need to light the first few time with a match or one of those clicker lighter things would be even better.

5. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Nov 5, 2012

I took off the cover & the small disk. That wouldn't be what is clogged though, correct?

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 5, 2012

Clean everything really well with hot soapy water. I cook a lot, and I am notorious for boiling over potatoes, Lima beans, and milk. I've cleaned my stove burners plenty of times.

The clicking is an electric igniter. Most likely the holes for the gas are clogged, so you aren't getting enough gas to ignite. I've also been able to use a long-handled lighter and manually light the stove and let the gas burn off the stuff on the burner.

Clean around the part where the gas comes out.

7. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Nov 5, 2012

It's my mom's stove, so that's what I told her to do. She let it go on for a few seconds before trying it again and it wouldn't light. Should we try for a bit longer?

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 5, 2012

Do the other burners light?