Side hustle

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Caballo21, Jul 20, 2021 at 2:32 PM.

1. Caballo21

Caballo21 Rookie

Jul 20, 2021 at 2:32 PM

Do you have a side/summer hustle? What do you do?

I'm currently grading online for a testing service and it is just about killing me, lol. I also just found out they pay teachers in another state $7 per hour more than me?! I've also tutored a bunch in the past, worked at major league baseball games, worked in a restaurant for years.

3. Guitart

Guitart Companion

Jul 20, 2021 at 9:19 PM

I work for a day or two, this year a week, teaching kids at an art museum. Easy money.
    Last year classes were cancelled so I accepted a studio recording gig. I played guitar on an album for a friend. When I say album I mean album. In addition to making CD's he also made LP's for the retro lovers of music on vinyl.
    It's artsy indie rock with some classical pieces: https://nraakors.bandcamp.com/album/hoppel-poppel

Caballo21 likes this.
  4. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Jul 21, 2021 at 3:56 PM

Wow, you sound just like me! I, too, am scoring tests remotely, so I feel your pain there. I get paid pretty decently though, especially since I've been there off-and-on for six years. Call me a glutton for punishment.
    I've done the tutoring thing and made good money from it.

My current side gig is working at a rec. center. The pay is barely over minimum, but the perks of being a city employee is that it counts towards state retirement just like teaching does. Also it's secretly satisfying to be able to kick out parents who yell at me or the refs. I know a lot of teachers who try to work the town's summer kid programs because it's a natural fit and the extra retirement boost is worth it.

Caballo21 likes this.
  5. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Jul 22, 2021 at 5:06 PM

I write and photograph for travel magazines. It comes with nice perks, free upgrades to first class flights, free lodging and restaurants, free gear (for example, if it's for a motorcycle magazine, we get free riding suits, helmets, etc.) and free car or motorcycle for the summer.

Of course last summer was a bust. When it works, I don't really make any money, but get to live and travel in Europe for 5 weeks for free.

Caballo21 likes this.