Side hustle

Discussion in 'General Education' started by otterpop, Dec 31, 2019.

1. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Dec 31, 2019

I really hate the term side hustle but it sums up my question just fine. Is anyone doing anything that’s making them extra money aside from tutoring?

I’m not into multilevel marketing type things... no interest in selling fitness shakes or makeup or leggings (no offense intended, it’s just not for me).

mrsf70 and Tired Teacher like this.
  3. chocolatefix2020

chocolatefix2020 Rookie

Dec 31, 2019

I sometimes Uber. It was a great supplemental income. Passengers love and very compassionate knowing their Uber driver is a teacher. You set your own hours and work whenever you want. I’d leave work 4:30 and Uber maybe until 6 or 7pm a few nights a week.

otterpop, Tired Teacher and whizkid like this.
  4. whizkid

whizkid Devotee

Dec 31, 2019

Why? That's what it is.......a side hustle! Lol

5. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Dec 31, 2019

I never thought of it that way before, but I do make extra money. A lot of people here travel a lot and make a ton of $. Some are retired and others are actually young couples who have decided not to have kids.
    Their pets are their kids and they spend a lot of their money and time with their babies. They know I LOVE small dogs and cats.( My last pet died a few yrs ago and I decided not to get another.) I like big pets too, but do not take them.
    If they can't take them w/ them, I have a small "puppy/ cat hotel". It is a tiny house that I can hang out, play, and sleep even. I have enough land too around it.
    So far, no1 has complained about 300 a week for the small dogs and 250 for a kitty. The limit I have put on it though is I'll only take 1 at a time. Then I can sufficiently spoil them rotten. The only way I'll take 2 is if they are from the same family and it is summer. I have more time then. It is fun and very easy because I like animals a lot. The only part I do not like to do is watch medically fragile pets. I only do it for 1 lady because she is a friend of my family.
    PS I love her baby, but I hate giving animals pills. Plus, I always worry a bit if she'd ever forgive me if her baby died on me.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  6. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Dec 31, 2019

I sell some of my better stuff on TPT. Pays a bill or two. Do a bit of transcript stuff.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  7. whizkid

whizkid Devotee

Dec 31, 2019

I heard about that from a coworker. Is it difficult work?

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 31, 2019

People have said I should do Cricut work, but I like my free time more than making the extra money. Fortunately, I don’t need the extra income.

A few people I know work retail jobs. It is especially nice for the people who are trying to make a teaching wardrobe. They get good discounts from places they work.

Backroads likes this.
  9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 31, 2019

We always need a pet sitter when we travel. That’s a good job. I’d love to keep dogs, but our dogs wouldn’t like it.

YoungTeacherGuy likes this.
  10. Aces

Aces Habitué

Dec 31, 2019

Uber/Lyft is a great way for a bit out extra income.

Guitart and otterpop like this.
  11. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Dec 31, 2019

I get about $0.47 a month from things that sell on TPT. Not quite paying bills. ;)

12. Pisces

Pisces Rookie

Dec 31, 2019

13. Kevin Berry

Kevin Berry New Member

Dec 31, 2019

Thanks Pisces! Yes I may have a side hustle opportunity for any teachers interested in running coding camps over the summer, you can comment there or email me directly!

14. Guitart

Guitart Companion

Dec 31, 2019

I have played in a rock band for years. We play live at bars/clubs and private & public events. My share is $100-150 a night. If we are actively scheduling, we play a couple nights a month. My career as an art teacher is a blast and being a weekend rock star, getting paid to rip on the guitar, is the cherry on my life's sundae!

15. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Jan 1, 2020

Sounds fun!!! :)

16. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jan 1, 2020

That’s awesome. And a good chunk of change too for doing something you really enjoy!

17. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jan 1, 2020

I have a teacher friend who works at Starbucks and really enjoys it because it's so different from teaching. She actually got a higher paying teaching job and kept a few of her Starbucks shifts just because she enjoyed it so much. They have some good perks for employees and at least around here there tend to be more adults working there vs. teens. Personally, I get wanting something totally different from teaching, but I just can't get behind working for $11-12 per hour even if the job is easier. It just seems like not a good use of my time to make that little money.

If you're crafty, you could also consider selling on Etsy. I have some friends who make some extra money that way.

MrTempest, Tired Teacher and otterpop like this.
  18. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Jan 1, 2020

I don't know about Etsy, but I am going to look it up. I am not crafty on a lot of things, but I am pretty good at 1 that sells pretty well at times. I stopped making them about 5 yrs ago when I decided it took up too much space and I was getting out of hand blowing too much $ to make them beautiful. ( I quit paying attention to cost of supplies.)
    They made wonderful gifts for almost every holiday and I could whip them out in a day. I ended up leaving a bunch on consignment near the end and basically broke even. Once I am retired, I might get back into it and have more time and discipline to watch my costs. I am so glad you brought that up!

Backroads likes this.
  19. MrTempest

MrTempest Companion

Jan 9, 2020

I sell on Amazon. Make more than I do teaching.

Tired Teacher and Backroads like this.
  20. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 9, 2020

What do you sell? Some of us here may want to buy.

21. MrTempest

MrTempest Companion

Jan 10, 2020

Mostly resell electronics and home goods. I have been doing it for about four years now.

Backroads and Tired Teacher like this.
  22. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Jan 10, 2020

Teach me, please! ;)

23. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 13, 2020

I'm assuming he buys low priced items and sells them for a higher price on Amazon. For example, one item I see in HomeGoods sold for $3.99 but when you look at the same item on Amazon people are selling it for $9.99 or higher (plus shipping). If you find an in demand item that others have a hard time finding in stores you can sell it on Amazon.

24. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 13, 2020

Is it difficult to set up an account to sell? I have some things I'd like to sell but I don't want to spend a lot of time getting everything set up.

25. MrTempest

MrTempest Companion

Jan 13, 2020

Technically you if you have an amazon account you have an amazon seller account. Search for amazon seller central and log in with your amazon credentials. I have been doing it for a few years so some things may have changed. You should see an option to have a regular seller account or a professional seller account. The professional seller account is 39.99 a month has some additional options, but I would not suggest it yet. The nice thing is unlike ebay you can just list under the listing that is already made as opposed to making the listing each time like ebay. I will say a lot of items and categories may be locked (or what they call gated) so you may not be able to list all of your items. These requirements have increased over time as others have sold questionable things.

26. MrTempest

MrTempest Companion

Jan 13, 2020

Buy low and sell high, but there is more to it. I started with $500 and made a lot of mistakes at first. In 2018 I sold 300k worth of products. Amazon has not released the tax documents for 2019 yet. Of course, that is not all profit. And with all things there are cons, I usually have about $1,500 in returns every week which not only sucks because of the value, but also I have to deal with items.

27. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Jan 17, 2020

Thank you so much for the idea and explanation. I am retiring this yr and am still a bit uneasy about losing my income. I am seriously going to find out more about this idea. Any advice of mistakes not to make?

28. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Jan 19, 2020

$300,000 in gross revenue for fiscal 2018?!

What are your profits?!

29. MrTempest

MrTempest Companion

Jan 22, 2020

Around 55k. But that does not include the "bonus perks" like ebates, befrugal, ebay bucks or amazon bucks I get for spending money. Below are links and I'll be upfront saying I would get a referral bonus if you used them to sign up, but they are legit.

befrugal.com/rs/YMPXYZE/
    rakuten.com/r/LESSOB
    ebates cap.PNG

30. MrTempest

MrTempest Companion

Jan 22, 2020

The biggest mistake I made at first was investing in products I could not sell on Amazon. For instance, I bought a lot of movies and then realized I wasn't even allowed to sell them on amazon so I had to sell them on eBay and broke even, maybe a little loss.
    If selling on Amazon get to know the policies and FOLLOW them. They will ban your account and freeze your funds in a heartbeat. Also, know that on Amazon they bend over for the customer who is always, always right. Think about how easy they are with their returns and no one ever considers the person on the other end who has to eat the loss because you didn't like the coffee maker anymore after 29 days.

31. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Jan 24, 2020

Thanks so much for sharing these tips. I am seriously going to look into this next yr.

32. MrTempest

MrTempest Companion

Jan 27, 2020

Amazon just released my 2019 tax info

Attached Files:

33. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jan 27, 2020

Thank you for sharing this!

I’ve sold on amazon before. I made some money but not bunches and eventually dwindled out. This is impressive!

34. MrTempest

MrTempest Companion

Jan 29, 2020

The friend who got me into it works as a contractor on a base and his sales number has the decimal moved one place to the right. That said, I have some catching up to do.

35. Educat

Educat Rookie

Feb 8, 2020

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this, I do real estate part time, and I make great extra money :) Its very compatible with being a teacher, most people want to see apartments/houses in the evening, and our big season is in the spring/summer.

otterpop likes this.
  36. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Feb 9, 2020

I’ve thought about that as a different career but never as something that could be done concurrently with teaching... that gives me something to think about too.

37. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Feb 9, 2020

I am so happy that you are doing well and $55,000 profit is simply excellent. I think I’ll stick to tutoring because it is: 1) way less work (I have no idea how you keep up with all the overhead costs and with orders), and 2) it involves way less work on my part, haha!

Since you shared how much you make, I think it is only fair to share how much I make doing my tutoring side gig: for fiscal 2019, I made ~$110,000 before taxes and ~$80,000 after taxes (I charge $120/hour and tutor 6 days a week). From my admin job, I make $85,000/year gross, which amounts to $72,930 after taxes (I have a very good accountant, let’s just say, haha!). In total, I made $195,000 gross and ~$153,000 after taxes.

I spend about $10,000/year in gas since I commute to several cities away to tutor my rich clients, but it’s worth it because I make $100,000/year profit, on average.

This year, I am getting a new tutoring client and so my hours should increase a bit. I’m super excited because I am now considered upper class and can start living the life I’ve always dreamed. I even make as much as some of my doctor friends and they are astonished by that. I love it!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  38. Educat

Educat Rookie

Feb 9, 2020

Yes definitely do it! I recommend it! I know lots of teachers who do it part time and are doing great, my real estate boss said, "I don't know why more teachers aren't doing it" :0 It just really works with our schedule :)

futuremathsprof likes this.