Sickle Cell Anemia

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Annie227, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Annie227

Annie227 Companion

Aug 6, 2007

What has been your experience working with students with sickle-cell anemia? I will have 1 in my 3rd grade class this year. My only experience was with a high school senior and she managed it pretty well herself. I have worked with a whole slew of other ailments, but this one will be new territory for me and looking for advice (in addition to the nurse & doctors notes in the file).

3. kiraj

kiraj Companion

Aug 6, 2007

Does she have an IEP or 504 plan? If he does, she may have a safety support plan that you will be given so you will know what you need to do. I don't have any experience myself.

4. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 6, 2007

I worked with a little girl who had sickle cell a few years ago. She was 8 or 9 so was around 3rd grade age (I don't remember her age exactly). This was at an after school/summer program that I worked with her and the only time I ever saw a problem is when we would go to the beach in the summer. We would have to be sure she wrapped up in her towel right out of the water otherwise she'd get too cold and her limbs would become really sore. She also had frequent doctor's visits because of her pain. There were never any major situations where I needed to take action, though.

5. Annie227

Annie227 Companion

Aug 6, 2007

She does not have an IEP (and from her records it looks like she's a smart kid). So despite frequent absences, it doesn't appear to impact her learning yet. I know that she has to drink a lot of water and stay hydrated.