Sickies - I don't get it

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TeacherWhoRuns, Jan 21, 2015.

1. TeacherWhoRuns

TeacherWhoRuns Companion

Jan 21, 2015

Between first and kinder, I think we sent at least five kids home with fevers today. Others were coughing, saying their chests and heads hurt and just looked utterly miserable.

I will never understand why, at our school, parents keep kids home rather than walking to school on a rainy day, or take them out for family vacations, but send them when they're sick.

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 21, 2015

You are preaching to the choir on that all to common scenario!

4. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jan 21, 2015

My favorite is when the parent tells a child to "try to go to school, if you feel sick after a 1/2 hour tell your teacher and you can come home"...lol...they just stare at the clock for that 1/2 hour to be up.

5. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Jan 21, 2015

I had a student last year who had an AWFUL cough for about a week before she finally stayed home. It got to the point that every time she coughed, my CT and I just looked at each other and cringed because it was CONSTANT AND HORRIBLY GRATING.
    We finally told her that she was not allowed to come to school the next day until her cough was gone. Thankfully she did stay home the next couple days.

It really is baffling though. Like... they're absent because mom or dad overslept, but they're here all week with a high fever and sore throat. WHY.

6. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jan 21, 2015

Simple, it is about the parents, not the children.

7. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jan 21, 2015

What is worse is the SPE parents that some of us have to deal with. The little kids, the non-verbal, and so-on. Burns my butt when they send them to school. Preschool had a little boy get on the bus, looked pitiful. The bus aide said he felt hot. Gets to school... 101.something temp!!!! GAH!

I had one of my seniors (CP and in a wheelchair) coughing his head off. He couldn't even stop long enough to take a drink one time. The nurse called his mom. He had to translate. Mom didn't have a car. I told him that she needed to find someone to come get him because he was sick and he needed to stay at home at least the next day, too. She got an uncle to come get him. This was the Tuesday before Christmas break. He didn't come back the rest of the week.

8. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 21, 2015

Due to parents without transportation, I've had to drive sick kids home myself. One of the ill kiddos today had a temp of 100.9!

9. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 21, 2015

I had mom send child with pink eye ... Mom told me well I thought if it was pink eye you'd send her home ( we had no nurse at school). I thought it was pink eye secretary thought allergies... No child next day... Pink eye!

10. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jan 22, 2015

As a teacher, I don't really try to diagnose illnesses. Generally speaking, if a kid says he feels sick, I take him at his word.

Parents can be more discerning than that, but this "You're not that sick" mentality bugs me.

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 22, 2015

Because if its not convenient for the parents to keep them home then the kids are sent to school. There will always be some lame excuse.

12. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jan 23, 2015

I also hate when the parents send them and then tell me, "If she's still sick, just call me and I'll come and get her." I'm sorry, but there are 24 other children in the classroom, and I'm teaching all day. I don't have time to log into Power School, pull up your cell phone number, your husband's cell phone number, and then your work number to try to get in touch with someone to come and pick up a child that should have stayed home in the first place. I always send them right to the office.

The best one I ever heard was when I taught kindergarten, and a child was diagnosed with full-blown pneumonia, and back in school the next day. The mom brought her in and said, "She just didn't want to stay home. She was crying and everything, so I brought her." I sent her home immediately.

13. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 23, 2015

Pigeon...I hated that the mom thought it could be pink eye...so contagious...thanks for exposing my other students!! I had 9 cases that year & 2 students got it twice!!!

14. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Jan 23, 2015

Well, I figure the teachers have better immune systems than I do, since they're around sick children all day. So I send them in -- I don't want to catch what my children have!

:D

15. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jan 23, 2015

I hate when we send home a child with a high fever one afternoon, and then they're back the next morning. Ummm...we have a fever-free for 24 hours policy. And then, the kid usually says, "I had a fever this morning, but mom gave me some medicine and it's gone now."

16. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jan 23, 2015

In my experience, there also seems to be the faction of parents who just don't believe kids should miss school for educational reasons. Granted, these kids often do well in school, but if you're sick you need rest! Some Perfect Attendance award isn't worth the stress and infection!

17. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jan 23, 2015

:lol: I love when they say that, too. They're so honest.

Then you can tell when the medicine wears off after lunch.

18. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jan 23, 2015

Our school gives out these dumb perfect attendance awards and for some reason in our community these are like the grammys for some families. (Others keep their kids out to watch TV once a week) Anyway, I've had kids come to school so, so sick because they want (or their parent wants) the perfect attendance award. So dumb! I don't understand why we can't give awards for "excellent" attendance. Kids get sick. When they do they shouldn't come to school. As long as they're only absent for legitimate illnesses their attendance deserves to be celebrated.

19. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jan 26, 2015

I recall even as an elementary school thinking the Perfect Attendance awards were silly. Oh, there was the odd kid with a perfect immune system who literally waltzed into school everyday the model of health and wellness, but kids know who is coming to school all gross and germy.

On another note that is rather controversial, my parents did believe in a rare mental health day for us minor children. They were few and far between, but we could approach them and say "Mom, Dad, I really am not up for school today".

I am still not opposed to that concept.

20. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 26, 2015

I remember times when I was a kid that I was pretty sick but wanted to go to school so I wouldn't miss anything. I just really liked school. My parents were smart enough to say "NO" and make me stay home to get better. On the other end of the spectrum I have seen kids who's parents let them stay home with every sniffle or alleged stomachache/headache. They end up missing way too much school. I was a LTS for 3 months in a middle school and one girl came to class maybe 10 times when I was there. I called her mom and she said she just didn't feel up to go going to school (but not because of medical issues) :dizzy:

21. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 26, 2015

A mental health day is great as long as it's not abused. I take them all the time LOL

22. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jan 26, 2015

Now this is a really funny statement! :lol:

23. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 26, 2015

You dictated as a sub that she not come back?
    We have a school policy regarding staying home if fever and/or throwing up....some coughs, however annoying, are not indicative of something contagious. A more prudent call would be to have the nurse take the student's temp and call home regarding concerns.

24. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jan 26, 2015

This wasn't necessarily a sick one, nor was the student in my class, but a colleague had a student who rarely came to school. The truancy officers were involved and everything. The excuse was either she was sick or Mom had difficulty getting her to school. Mom did not trust the bus system or a neighbor. Of course, Mom also threw fits about her daughter's failing grades.

Another kid lived around the corner from the school, so in my mind he could have easily walked himself to school. I didn't bother assuming him absent until after lunch. Ridiculous.

25. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jan 26, 2015

I had a mom tell me this year that her daughter misses a lot of school because she has her period. She said it to me in a very condescending way. I said flat out to her that as women we can't use our period as an excuse to miss school or work two days a month and she needs to teach her daughter way to deal with it and move on. Hasn't happened since. It baffles me that a parent could let their child get away with that. When I was a kid you had to have a fever or vomit to stay home- and my mom had to actually see the vomit! haha

26. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jan 26, 2015

I thought of this thread today when one of my students told me this morning his sister is very sick but she came to school today because his mom had to go to school. I understand the mom was probably in a tough situation but now that kid has shared whatever illness it is she has with the entire class and there's a handful of other parents who might have to figure out what to do with their sick kid. Ugh!

But we have a snow day tomorrow so I guess that'll give them time to get better! And gosh their parents will have to figure out what to do with them!

27. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 26, 2015

If parents have school/work/whatever they need to plan ahead and have people they can call to stay with the sick child. Yes, that might mean having to PAY someone. Too bad!

28. Guitart

Guitart Companion

Jan 26, 2015

I think I know these parents..
    In my previous life I worked at a company that gave out bonuses (gift cards or $$) for yearly perfect attendance. I got sick all the time because I worked with a bunch of Walking Dead extras who cared more about their extra money than the health of others.
    When the economy got bad, this got cut. Like magic, people started calling in sick.

29. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jan 27, 2015

I had one this morning that fortunately never came to fruit. I may have mentioned "Tiger Mom" in another thread. Her kid has never been absent this year and I do think she is hoping for perfect attendance. Her sister is another teacher at the school and drives Kiddo. Aunt Teacher comes into my room asking for Kiddo's work for the day, explaining that he threw up in the car.

Kiddo's Mom actually told her to clean him up, change his clothes, and bring him back to school! Aunt Teacher was "no way" on this and we had a good laugh while I gathered up his work.

Really, I don't want someone who has been upchucking in my classroom that is still battling other flu symptoms.

30. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 27, 2015

Thank goodness for Aunt teacher!

31. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Jan 27, 2015

My CT and I (student teaching) agreed that she was sick enough to stay home and advised her to stay home so she could rest and get better; obviously if her parents had disagreed there was nothing we could really do, but she was barely functioning in class because her cough was so bad. We were sending her to get a drink every 10 minutes because she couldn't talk from coughing.
    It might not have been contagious by the time she stayed home -- but there was a variety of illnesses (sore throats, nausea, etc.) going through our room at the time and we really didn't want her spreading more germs everywhere.

32. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jan 28, 2015

This thread put a smile on my face :) Working in a private school, parents will pull their kids out for everything- extra long holidays, doctor appointments, etc but their child can be hacking up a lung or having to put their fevered head down against the cold tabletop and they're in school.

I'm so glad it's just not my school. I get that parents think we're "babysitters" sometimes, but it is totally unfair to my whole classroom to have to be exposed to those germs. I was super sick twice in my life before I was teaching, now I'm usually super sick twice a year. (It is better now that I literally refuse to allow my students to touch any of my stuff. I don't share my tissue box, hand sanitizer, desk area, or personal items (like my ducky collection). Everything else that I do share has to be wiped down or sprayed after the kids leave the classroom)

33. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 28, 2015

I grew up in one of those homes with absentee parents. I was bored to tears in high school so I usually took off one week per month and signed my mom's name to my excuses. I was a really good student and in those days schools didn't go after anyone for excess absences. Don't think anyone ever read my excuses because I came up with some pretty interesting illnesses!

I allowed my own children a day off once or twice each year just to give them a break. Some years they needed it, some years not so much.

34. TeacherWhoRuns

TeacherWhoRuns Companion

Jan 28, 2015

I never got to stay home either. I was one of those kids who got the perfect attendance awards every year. It seems like the colds were less vicious than they are these days, but maybe I'm just remembering trough kid eyes and not from an adult perspective.

The only time I ever remember going to the school nurse was in high school because of my period. I had awful ones back in HS, with cramps, stomach issues. They were the worst. I remember being in drama classes (of all things) and embarrassed to tell the male teacher what the problem was. He accused me of faking. I was in tears by the time he sent me to the nurse...very traumatic. I was the kid who never made waves and just tried to do what was expected. My mom actually came and picked me up that day.

I wish I could take two days off a month for it now!

35. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jan 28, 2015

Yeah it'd be one think if the kid came in doubled over in pain and had to go home. In her house it's more like, "mom my stomach hurts I don't want to go." And mom responds, "oh good I didn't feel like getting out of bed to take you to school anyway." ughhh