Sick :(

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by amaran20, Apr 14, 2010.

1. amaran20

amaran20 Rookie

Apr 14, 2010

I got home from school yesterday with a slight sore throat. Now it's 3 am here in Florida and I can't sleep because I feel like my throat is on fire :(

Do any of you new teachers feel like you've been sick much more than usual this first year of teaching? I used to consider myself fairly healthy, but I've already had Bronchitis, the stomach bug and numerous colds. I hope none of you out there share my predicament!

3. lsho

lsho Rookie

Apr 14, 2010

I feel ya! I think it is due to us being first years and being around all these kids all day, everyday. Other teachers in my building said they were miserable the first year or 2 due to illness but after that, they were never sick. The immune system builds up some pretty killer defenses apperantly.

The worst is that I can't bring myself to call in sick most times. During our summer new teacher meeting they kind of put the fear of God into us about using sick days. Basically don't do it...ever. I freaked out when I used a sick day earlier in the semester (I just could not get out of bed) but my principal said its not that serious. We have 8 so we can use them when we need. That made me feel better.

Take tons of vitamins. REST REST REST. And drink lots of water. It has helped me a ton. Good luck!! (and feel better!)

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 14, 2010

Yeah, I remember being sick my first year. I don't think I took any sick days, but I probably should have.

With exposure to so many students comes exposure to many germs. Just do whatever you can to minimize the chances that you'll get super sick.
    • Use hand sanitizer
    • Keep your own supplies to yourself; have a set of stuff for students to use (Kleenex, stapler, etc.)
    • Take a multivitamin daily
    • Take a Vitamin C supplement daily
    • Drink plenty of water
    • Get plenty of sleep

5. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Apr 14, 2010

Amen, Cassie753, about having your own supplies! I used to get tons of colds, until I realized that I was using the kid's pencils to help them when I was walking around the room. I also figured out I was getting germs from things such as staplers and tape dispensors. Now I have a set of supplies for my own use, and a seperate set for the kids, and the colds have been cut way back. My school has installed hand sanitizer stations for the kids around the school, and they are used. I also keep a small spray bottle of isopropyl alcohol on my desk, and use a quick spray before and after I correct papers. Seems to have really made a difference!

6. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 14, 2010

I tend to get sick the first year in any new school. This year I am doing pretty well keeping the illnesses away. It is my third year at the same school. I take emergent C, coconut oil pills (to fight stomach bugs), cayanne fruit pills (fight colds).

7. MissSkippyjonJones

MissSkippyjonJones Comrade

Apr 14, 2010

I was sick all the time last year! Then I was off for about 6 months, was totally healthy, went back to teaching and now I'm sick once a month again!

8. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Apr 14, 2010

I was sick the entire month of January and into February. It was the gift that just kept giving. I ended up taking off two days. I think the issue was more that is just never went away. Once I had it I couldn't shake it.

9. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Apr 16, 2010

My first year teaching I was sick MANY times and it finally got to me mid-March and April with I ended up with a very long and horrible lung and sinus infection. My fever was up to 106*F and I still went into school to teach.

Wash your hands as often as you can--- I know we love hand sanitizers but please remember your hands are CLEANER when you wash them for at least 20 seconds with soap and water. You can actually mess up the good bacteria on your hands by using the sanitizer too much. Don't touch your face. Take vitamins (I take a women's multi, Vitamin B Complex, Vitamin C, St John's Wort (for emotional health), Royal Jelly (great for energy))--- I know science doesn't really support vitamins but I feel better with them. Getting enough sleep is important-- your body may be going through major schedule changes and might not be able to deal with it. Too much stress can also weaken our immune systems. So there's plenty of reasons why we get sick the first year of teaching.

This is my second year and my illnesses have drastically gone down. No major illnesses--- I've had bad allergies but that's my whole life.