Sick with the Flu

Discussion in 'General Education' started by SeñoritaM, Jan 9, 2013.

1. SeñoritaM

SeñoritaM Rookie

Jan 9, 2013

Hello all!

I should probably be in bed resting right now, but I'm freaking out and decided to come on this trusty forum for some advice and words of comfort haha.

Here's the situation:

I am a second year teacher, and had been scheduled to be observed by our Superintendent tomorrow. After much panicking and preparation, I finally felt ready.

Anyway, last night I started to feel a bit of a tickle in my throat, but didn't think much of it. I went into school today and felt fine, aside from feeling unusually tired.

Anyway, on my drive home from school this afternoon, I started to feel extremely light-headed/dizzy (I considered pulling over at one point, it was bad!). Upon getting home, I started getting the chills and decided to lay down. An hour later, I took my temp and it was 101.3!

After a long period of denial, I caved and called my P to call out sick for tomorrow (my first ever sick day in two years of teaching! I feel beyond guilty. I didn't want to do it!) and she said she'd call the Superintendent for me to let him know I won't be there tomorrow.

Anyway, now I have a series of concerns and questions (I am a HUGE worry-wart, I know!).

Firstly, I'm scared that they're gonna think I'm playing hooky to avoid my observation or something, which makes me super paranoid.

Second, this is only my 2nd time ever having someone sub for me (the first was for a PD conference I went to) and (because I have a class working on a super important project and another class that's having a movie/party tomorrow), I couldn't use my normal emergency plans, so I had to frantically type-up a special sub plan and email it to a work friend who's gonna print it out and find the handouts in my office for me (and get them ready for the sub). I feel guilty for putting her out like that, and super afraid that my plans are too confusing or something is going to go wrong. I get a sick feeling in my stomach thinking of something bad happening with the sub (either crazy kids or an awful sub or both!). I felt like this when I went to the conference too (but at least I knew about that a good month in advance and had plenty of time to prepare!). I have a really hard time trusting someone else with my kiddos! Bad, I know :eek:

AND, I really really really do not want to have to take Friday off of work as well, but I'm afraid that I have the Flu (hence my thread title), which is supposed to be contagious for several days. I'm willing to go in tomorrow afternoon after school and make the preparations for my sub stuff myself, but I really just want to be able to go in myself and teach on Friday.

So... I guess I need to turn this into a question haha. Basically, I'm looking for words of encouragement as well as some input about whether I should attempt going in on Friday or not.

Okay, I'm done freaking out and am gonna go lay down for a while before checking for responses :lol: I apologize for posting a giant freak-out thread but I am totally panicking and feeling like crap (physically and mentally!)

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 9, 2013

Don't expend any more energy on this. You're sick. You need to rest. Make yourself some tea, put on your comfy jammies and go to bed. DO NOT go to school until you have been fever free for at least 24 hours and you feel rested enough to get through a day. Your sub will make the best of the plans you left. Your colleagues will find the needed materials or fill in with other activities. Your Supe will understand.

Feel better.:love:

4. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jan 9, 2013

You've got to take care of #1, 'cause if you don't then you will get worse, and your time off would extend.
    I hope you will feel a lot better, AFTER you take the day or longer off.
    Work will be there when you get there, so relax and take care of yourself.
    Rebel1

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 9, 2013

I left work a little early (about 35 minutes before the bell rang) on Monday (my assistant principal had to cover my class). Let's just say I had some things to take care of in the bathroom.

Anyway, I called a friend of mine on Monday night to see if she could sub on Tuesday. She agreed, so I typed up my plans and got to school at 6am to set out everything for her (even though my plans were already written, it took me about 45 minutes to set out all the necessary supplies/materials).

I ended up staying home again today (my fever finally subsided, but I've still had to make trips to the bathroom).

Overall, I'm feeling better and plan to be back tomorrow. If I end up feeling ill, though, I'm leaving!

The main reason I'm going in tomorrow is that I have mandatory PD on Friday, so there'll be yet another sub! Bleh! :rolleyes:

All I know is that I hope this stomach bug stays away from my kiddos! It's horrible! :help:

6. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jan 9, 2013

I have to agree with czacza...

This week I have been out sick all week. I have had to put together plans as well, and they have not been my usual type of plans. I've essentially written in them my apologies but I am sick. When I was subbing, I got used to dealing with these. Other subs can deal too. It's not the end of the world. You're sick, so just spend your energy on getting better.

Now if I could get my wife to do the same thing, it would all be perfect.

7. Harmony2

Harmony2 Companion

Jan 9, 2013

They are dropping like flies in our school; we had three go home with fevers and cough today in my class alone. My husband is an Md and he said this is one of the worst flu seasons he has seen in years. Of course I did not get my flu shot. :eek: I have the sniffles but I am hoping it stays that way.

I guess in my long winded way I am trying to tell you that it is definitely going around and you need to relax and get better and not stress about missing because you are sick. If you are really super concerned consider going to the doctors and getting a note to cover your absence.

Drink a lot of fluids and let your body heal...

8. Math

Math Cohort

Jan 9, 2013

Your health is important. So just take care of yourself.

9. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jan 9, 2013

One of my Mom's called me a little while ago to tell me her daughter tested positive for the flu this morning. It must have a rapid onset because her daughter was fine last night when I saw her at the basketball game. Since we came back on Tuesday I have sick kids but nothing serious I thought. Mostly coughing and snotty noses. I am really hoping that she was not in the contagious state on Tuesday, but ever since i got the call I have been feeling a tickle in my throat, and a headache so I'm thinking I should probably get some sub plans ready.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 9, 2013

Just got my flu shot yesterday...my bout with the stomach yuck over the weekend got me motivated to get the shot...my arm is just a bit tender, but I'm glad I got it.:)