Sick Teachers...

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by ms_chandler, Oct 12, 2006.

1. ms_chandler

ms_chandler Comrade

Oct 12, 2006

Just wondering what y'all thought.

Of course, we all get sick because of being around so many sick kids. I've had a few sinus infections already, and we just started Second Quarter. I've been nasty sick this week, but nothing uncontrollable. I've been coughing (away from my 7th graders), congested, and losing my voice once in awhile.

My principal has a strict attendance policy for teachers. At each faculty meeting, he reads how many teachers took days off and how many days were taken off. I'd rather not be teaching sick, but, if I had taken off all these days, I would've already used up my sick days FOR THE ENTIRE YEAR. I know that germs are everywhere, and I know that my principal wants me there. Unless I'm dying, or unless my principal makes me leave, I will teach.

A teacher today (that I know fairly well) made a comment to me today. I saw a student of mine going to the nurse. It was my off period. I asked her if she was okay. She said she didn't feel well. I said, Honey, I know the feeling. I hope you feel better. The other teacher commented, Maybe she caught it from you. I said, We all catch things from each other. The students are probably the ones that made me sick, but I'm not mad at them. I told her how strict the principal is about teacher attendance. She told me that we also need to be worried about student attendance. I was a little offended by that. I told her that our principal is aware of the fact that I'm sick because we talk often. Until he sends me home, I'm not going home if I am able to teach.

I hate to think that I'm getting other people sick, but the reality is that it's everywhere. I don't even think I'm contagious because I have severe sinus problems. Everytime the weather changes, I get sick. I just thought this was kind of rude. I don't want to be on my principal's bad side and take days off because he doesn't think it's necessary.

Sorry this was so long. I just needed to explain. What do y'all think?

3. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Oct 12, 2006

I'm with you. I'm sick for the second time this school year and we've only been in school about 6 weeks. I've been very congested all week and have been losing my voice on and off like you. I've always gone to work sick. Honestly, the only things that keep me home are serious stomach bugs or if I have a high fever. I've taught with almost no voice, eating cough drops and blowing my nose every 5 minutes, and with pounding headaches. It's my job to be there. I disinfect my classroom as much as possible, keep windows cracked and keep a bottle of hand sanitizer on my deks that I use (and encourage the student to use) often. The germs are everywhere. The teachers and students are going to pass it back and forth and there's really nothing anyone can do about it. Many times you can pass the germs to others before you even have any symptoms so staying home wouldn't help anyway! haha

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 12, 2006

You should go home. Everyone that is sick should stay home. The ugly truth though is we often can't. The kids have to be taught. The things to do are endless. Assessments have to be made. And it sounds like your Principal wants teachers there more than he wants a healthy school. It's unfortunate that anyone has to make that choice, but people everyday make it. The parents make it when they send kids to school sick (because they can't afford the time off either). People make it in order to get the job done, to please their boss, and to meet quota. Gosh, those germy bugs cost too much!

5. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Oct 12, 2006

If I'm not running fever or throwing up, I try and go, just because we are so horribly short on subs. It ends up being a video, worksheet day, but I'm there in the room with them. Of course I have 5th graders, they still like the teacher :) so they help when I'm sick. I know with Jr. High it's a different creature. So I realize now I've double talked, answered the question both ways, and not really said anything, so I'm going to leave it for the upper grade teachers!

6. ms_chandler

ms_chandler Comrade

Oct 12, 2006

I teach 7th grade, and the kids are pretty much all good. I am young (just turned 25) and have more control than some older teachers do. I really don't mind being there sick. I LOVE my principal and respect him 100%. If he thinks I should be there, and I think I should be there, there's no problem. But, that comment from another teacher bugged me (no pun intended). I was just wondering who else that that way.

7. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Oct 12, 2006

If it is a sinus infection you are not contagious, just miserable.

Rule of thumb: If you have a fever over 100, and or throwing up, and or diarrhea, STAY HOME. otherwise, go to work. Wash your hands often, carry the wet wipes and USE them everywhere, and often.

8. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Oct 12, 2006

We have difficulty getting subs, too, so we work when sick. I always feel guilty when I have to take off. I usually do not miss more than 1 or 2 days a year. But it helps that I am pretty healthy.

However, we had have ALOT of bugs go through the school already this year, and have had alot of kids sick. We had round 1 about the second week of school, that was horrible coughs. Round 2 was vomiting, and now are starting round 3 of colds, strep throat. We have only been in school 1 month! I know preschoolers come down with everything, but this year it has started very early, and has been continuous. Is it like this anywhere else? It does not bode well for the year.

9. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Oct 12, 2006

Same here. I think from the first week something has been spreading. We have troubles getting subs too. We had to make a list dividing our class amongst the other same grade level teachers so on days when we were not able to get a sub the kids would be divided and go to the other teachers for the day. It is crazy. I teach half day and have been told getting a sub for half a day is nearly impossible.

Take your vitamins.

10. Tigers

Tigers Habitué

Oct 12, 2006

I agree that you should go ahead and teach with a sinus infection, though be careful if it is getting worse see the doctor. The comment was a little funky, if she has a problem with policy you are not the one with whom to take it. Though when frustrated, especially with admin, it is sometimes hard to productively address those frustrations. I caught something last June that sent me up to 105.2 yes that is not a typo 105.2 needless to say I was not working that day.

11. AussieAP

AussieAP Rookie

Oct 13, 2006

Just a question ..... in the US - who is responsible for obtaining a "sub" when you are sick? also, are the "subs" responsible for organising the day, and how much sick leave are you entitled to?
    ................ just asking out of curiosity and "coz" here in Oz I don't know

12. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Oct 13, 2006

Aussie,
    It depends on who sets the rules for sick leave and the process for obtaining a sub. In my district here in northern Illinois, we get 15 sick days a year (which can be accumulated), 2 personal days, and 1 emergency personal day. When we need a sub, we call a central phone number for our school district and the sub caller arranges our subs. We are quite lucky in our district. I know other people aren't so lucky.

13. ctopher

ctopher Comrade

Oct 13, 2006

Are you serious?! Your principal read how many teachers took days off during your meetings? Does he think you're children? Teachers are adults and should be treated so. If they choose to use a sick day or personal day it's their business! We have them in our contracts for a reason. The principal announcing them would never fly at my school. The union reps would be on that FAST!

14. ms_chandler

ms_chandler Comrade

Oct 13, 2006

Yes, he does!

I actually don't mind. His point is to show teacher attendance VS. student attendance. At our last meeting, student attendance was better than teacher attendance by a tiny bit... but still....

Thanks for the support. It seems like y'all agree with me. I mean, there's not much I can do here. Even if I would've taken off all those days I've had a sinus infection, I would've already used up all of my sick days in 1st QUARTER ALONE!

I am getting better, but everyone's sick around here. It just got cold this morning, so sinuses are going CRAZY! :eek:

15. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Oct 13, 2006

Aussie, in my parish we get 10 sick days and 2 personal (2 of our sick days can be used as personal as well). At my school, if we are going to be out we usually call the secretary so that she can get a sub (although with new asst principal, she may expect us to call her, she hasn't said). If we haven't left seperate plans, the subs are supposed to follow our lesson plans for the day, at least as much as possible. I'll usually run up there and put something together, I worked as a sub and going in to nothing is so hard. I've been up there before with a WalMart bag in one hand to throw up in, while I'm stacking stuff with the other. We are supposed to keep a sub folder with the basics and I have one of those, all the information about the day, the kids, a picture page for each class, etc. I also have a very generic set of busy work that they can do. I don't know that the others have that.

16. Sanne

Sanne Rookie

Oct 13, 2006

I also tend to go when I'm sick. You feel really responsible although in Holland people aren't really difficult about taking sick days. We have a system where an inspector comes to visit you after 2 days of sickness. We don't have a maximum amount of sick days. Still, you don't just take a sick day easily. I always get sick during holidays! Perfect timing huh!

17. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Oct 13, 2006

Our first year we get 2 sick days, then 12 days a year after that. Our days do roll over to the next year if we don't use them.

I also try to go to school if I can. I frequently get sinus and ear infections, and just tough it out. Now if I'm too dizzy to drive, then I don't go. I leave a set of emergency sub plans just in case. My rule of thumb for calling for a sub isn't fever. It's usually: "Am I sick enough to get ready for a sub?" Getting ready for a sub takes so much work, that sometimes it's easier to just go and teach myself.

18. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 13, 2006

I'm on my second round of antibiotics for a sinus infection. Of course, I haven't taken a day off, but have wasted several weekends in bed. My kids have been dropping like flies. I hope this is the end of the beginning of the year illnesses.

19. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Oct 13, 2006

Our principal puts notices in our boxes circling when we were out and what it was for. He often puts comments on there. Last year I had 4-5 days in the entire year I HAD to go to these workshops that were required and I felt odd about the comments I got. I mean, the school MADE me go to these workshops-I didn't just sign up. I do agree, however, that teacher attendance is extremely important. We only get 10 sick days a year. To get our subs, we have to fill out an absence card and/or a professional assignment paper if going to a workshop. On the absence card we fill out what kind of day we want to take: personal, professional, sick, etc. and put it in our secretary's box. We can also write down the name of a sub we want if we know a specific one. On our direct deposit slips every month (which the only choice is to get direct deposit, which I prefer) they list how many of each day we have left.
    As far as being sick, I really hate it when someone says to me, after asking me if I'm feeling ok, "Well, don't get me sick!" No-I was going to purposely cough and sneeze on you. :rolleyes:

20. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Oct 15, 2006

A little remedy to help you out :D

Hey gals and guys,

I wanted to share a possible remedy with you that another teacher shared with me. I haven't had a problem with sinus infections or allergies since then.

To keep allergies at bay or even when you feel them coming on (we all know they like to end up being sinus infections) take an herbal product called ALJ. You take 2 pills as soon as you feel it coming on, if you don't feel better within 30 minutes, you take 2 more. You can do this 3 times a day. Works like a charm for me :D Even worked for my father in law who is allergic to cats...and we have 3 of them.

To help treat sinus infections: golden seal is a natural antiboitic. Fenugreek will take care of any "head" conjestion that you may have (eyes, ears, nose). Mullein will take care of any respitory symptoms that you may have due to allergies, i.e. coughing, swollen lymph nodes. Talk to an herbalist at any herbal store to find out how many to take and the dosage. P.S. DRINK LOTS, LOTS, LOTS OF WATER OR IT CAN'T CLEANSE YOUR BODY.

But I swear by ALJ. I used to take Zyrtec, but ALJ puts Zyrtec to shame, at least for me it does. I hope this helps some of you because I know all about sinus infections. I usually had anywhere from 6-9 of them in any given year, until my co-worker finally sat down to talk to me :)

21. daisyduck123

daisyduck123 Companion

Oct 15, 2006

That is ridiculous that your principal announces who was out sick & for many days!! My principal would never dream of doing that...I can't believe that is even allowed. If that's how the staff is treated, I'd be finding another place to teach. I feel for you. How horrible!

22. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Oct 16, 2006

We get five days a year. They can roll over if unused.

23. Music Doc

Music Doc Habitué

Oct 16, 2006

We get 10 days each year and they can be rolled over, I believe, up to a total of 200. I currently have somewhere in the neighborhood of 185.......maybe I should just take a year off!

I would definitely complain about a principal who is reading off the names of absent teachers.....sounds like someone is on a little bit of a power trip to me!