sick on vacation?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MissFroggy, Dec 16, 2007.

1. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Dec 16, 2007

How many of you get sick the minute the vacation starts? I swear I get a cold or the flu every year during at least one vacation. It's as if my body saves it all up for when I have my time off.

Anyone else?

3. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Dec 16, 2007

Last year was the first year that I did not get sick over winter break. I started taking meds last Sunday when my throat began feeling sore and I am feeling better; so far...

4. andi137

andi137 Companion

Dec 16, 2007

Over fall break I had strep throat and over Thanksgiving I got the stomach flu. I am hoping that I do not get sick over Christmas. I have been healthy as can be when we are in school.

5. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Dec 16, 2007

I usually get the flu on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day (2004, 2005). Last year I got the flu on New Years Eve. I can't wait to see what day I will get it this break!

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 16, 2007

Are ya'll trying to jinx it?

7. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Dec 16, 2007

That used to happen to me every year in college. December was so crazy with Christmas stuff and finals and all, that once I got home for the break, I was always knocked out cold for several days. We have four more days of school and yesterday I started feeling a cold coming on. I really have to be there every day this week with everything going on, so I started taking airborne and I'm praying that I stay well this week.

8. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Dec 16, 2007

If I don't, my dh does. He got that noro-virus (the cruise ship one) on Christmas Eve last year. He slept through Christmas day, and the only thing he ate was Pho (Vietnamese noodle soup).

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 16, 2007

It's happened to me before too, fortunately, not that often. I'm goin to have 3 wks off in another week & I better not start getting sick! :mad:

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 16, 2007

It happens to the best of us. I think for me at least it's like I get so stressed out in the days and weeks leading up to a big break that I end up making myself sick.

It helps to bulk up on the vitamin C and multivitamins in the weeks before something stressful, like the end of the grading term or something.

I found some Crystal Light stuff that you pour into a bottle of water that has some vitamin C. It's pomegranate flavored and one of the most delicious On-the-Go type things I've ever tasted.

11. dolphinswim

dolphinswim Companion

Dec 16, 2007

I love that pomegranate drink mix...

My DH says once my adrenalin slows down my body starts to feel the effects of all the stress and germs I deal with through the week. Almost every weekend I am drained and not feeling well unless I have something planned that keeps me going 90 to nothing! But never fail, each winter break brings a big cold! LOL

12. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Dec 16, 2007

Yup, last Christmas break I got a bad bad headcold the day before Christmas, and then the last week of school I got a really bad ear infection that would not go away and kept me up two nights from the pain. That's what I figured was that since the stress really built up my body just let me have it.

13. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Dec 16, 2007

That happened to me in college. I had a stomach virus right when summer break started one year, which happened to be my 21st birthday. I was puking my brains out on my birthday, and not from drinking. That was a miserable day. Then I had the same virus around Christmas the same year. It was horrible.

Luckily though, I haven't had anything like that, or a cold or flu, since I have started teaching (6 years - knock on wood!).

14. smile

smile Companion

Dec 18, 2007

This is the first time I got a minor cold on my first day of vacation! I think its good because I don't have to worry about getting a sub or getting the kids sick. What a way to spend my vacation..... sick!:eek:hmy: Well, at least I have two more weeks of my vacation!