Sick of.....

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by txmomteacher2, Feb 19, 2016.

1. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Feb 19, 2016

I have had about enough of the I want, I need, Can I have's that seem to be going around my class. I want a drink, I need a drink Can I have a drink? We get drinks several times a day but while I am teaching NO you may not get a drink. I need to use the bathroom and I have to go BAD. I want to go the bathroom and I have to go BAD! Can I use the bathroom and I really really really have to go. You can go to the bathroom anytime I am not teaching unless you just went 5 minutes ago and you are trying to get out of work that you don't want to do.I want a tissue can I get one? I need a tissue can I get one, Can I have a tissue? Yes you can have a tissue if there is snot hanging out of your nose. Yes you can have a tissue if I have heard you suck your snot up your nose a million times and I am sick of hearing it. Yes you can have a tissue if you sneezed. No you can not have a tissue if you are only asking because someone else just asked and you just want to be just like them. And no you may not have a tissue just because you have boogers in your nose. We all have boogers!!!!!!! That is all!

artbrarian and Backroads like this.
  3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 19, 2016

arrrgh.
    Might be time to revisit expectations, procedures and rules. I put a tissue box in the middle of each table cluster as well as a container of wipes. I have a hand signal for using the bathroom because I don't want to talk about bathroom with anyone. They know not to show the signal when I'm teaching. If they do, I ignore.:p My colleague has the following mantra "Reading doesn't make you pee" when kids ask to use the facilities during independent reading time!:rofl:

4. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Feb 19, 2016

If I'm working with a student or a group of students during Daily 5, do not come ask me a question nor form a queue to ask me a question barring an emergency. If you require a bathroom visit or a drink, we have a hand signal. (Though this may be due to transition from the sub who had her own little nuances in procedures).

And the sympathetic bladder syndrome.

I had a kid today, who had returned from the bathroom not ten minutes before, ask to go when another student went. He seemed genuinely amazed at the idea that another person's potty needs did not affect his.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 19, 2016

:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

6. suzy7677

suzy7677 Rookie

Feb 25, 2016

Sympathetic bladder syndrome, hahaha! That just made me have to go! :):):)

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
    Backroads likes this.
  7. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Feb 26, 2016

I confess, I stole it from another teacher's blog. Thought it brilliant and so apt.

8. artbrarian

artbrarian Rookie

Feb 26, 2016

Never fails, they wait till I'm in the middle of giving instruction to ask and then I have a pee epidemic in my room. And I know they all go potty before enrichment. Art time is not pee time! One hand up, then they all go up. The only grade I go easy on is K cause I've had accidents in past years and no thanks, I don't want to have to deal with that.

Backroads likes this.
  9. showmelady

showmelady Companion

Feb 27, 2016

I don't know about the drinks, but I DO know about the bathroom use issue. I personally know a kid who was made to "wait" a couple of times, although the child CLEARLY stated the need for a bathroom visit. And guess what? There was an "accident"!

Want a way to give a kid a nickname that they will NEVER live down!

Sorry, but I believe if a kid needs to go potty, they need to go potty!

I know ADULTS who need to go more than a few times a day!

bella84 likes this.
  10. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 27, 2016

There's a difference between asking a kid to wait three-five minutes and asking them to wait an hour or more. I don't tend to have much sympathy for a kid who tells me immediately after recess that they need to go to the bathroom. I do have sympathy for the kid with a clear "I have to pee" look in their eyes who is asking to go during a time I normally discourage bathroom use.

Backroads and bella84 like this.
  11. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Feb 27, 2016

I have sympathy for this person because I often don't feel the urge when I am actively engaged in an activity, particularly an interesting. Many times the urge doesn't hit until the down time afterwards. So, it makes perfect sense to me that a person may not realize they have to go until after their actively engaged time is over.

Backroads likes this.
  12. adeeb

adeeb Rookie

Feb 27, 2016

This thread brings back embarrassing memories as a student where I had some "accidents" (in the younger grades, of course). Sometimes it's pretty evident if they actually have to go or just want to get out of the classroom for a bit. As the year goes on it tends to be easier to make that determination since you know your students better. Like gr3teacher, I would let them go if they really have to go regardless of the timing, though I would also have sympathy for the student that has to go immediately after recess for the reasons a2z mentioned.

13. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 27, 2016

Fair enough, but I'd consider it to be pretty rare that an "emergency situation" (I'd say it's much more likely to be a "I've got to go, but it can wait a few minutes" situation) would arise then, and when it does, it's pretty easy to tell it on their faces.

Backroads likes this.
  14. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Feb 27, 2016

I used to get irritated with the right after recess requests until I found out that the recess aides didn't allow them to use the bathroom at recess. Then I started to allow it. It made sense to me that recess was a good time to, since that is when most adults would go, but I didn't take into consideration that these children didn't really have the authority to make that choice themselves.

Also, I think we have to remember that children don't just naturally know when it is a "good" time to go. They have to be taught that going in the middle of a lesson isn't appropriate, except in the case of an emergency. They have to be taught that independent work or transition time is a better time to go. They have to be taught that they need to be aware of how much water they drink so as to not have to use the bathroom too many times throughout the day. I always make a point to teach them why it is or isn't a good time to go get a drink or use the bathroom when they ask... for the primary and some intermediate students anyway. I would hope that they've learned it by middle school.

15. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 27, 2016

I always envy teachers that have recess aides :(

a2z and bella84 like this.
  16. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Feb 27, 2016

They have to be taught to dehydrate themselves so they don't have to go. :)

Backroads likes this.
  17. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Feb 27, 2016

Right?!... according to many teachers... not to me! I never limit water or bathroom visits in my classroom. If you have to go, you have to go. I drink roughly 100 ounces of water throughout the day, most days, and use the bathroom many times as a result. I certainly don't expect my students to do anything less, unless by choice. I have, however, had to have a couple of conversations over the years in which I found that the students honestly didn't realize that drinking water really quickly and then refilling their bottle many times throughout the day would lead to going to the bathroom very frequently and, often, at inopportune times. I didn't intend for them to dehydrate themselves... just make the connection between drinking water and going to the bathroom and gain some awareness about it.

18. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Feb 27, 2016

I was just playing around which is why I put the smile. The truth is most students are really dehydrated (teachers too). It is worse in MS and HS because of the stringent rules about bathroom release and passing times.

19. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Feb 27, 2016

I know, I know. Just wanted to clarify that I wasn't advocating for that in case someone else thought that was what I actually meant. :)

20. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 27, 2016

I'm definitely dehydrated most days (On CLT days, I have a 4.5 hour block of time where using the bathroom is basically impossible), but my students aren't. I have a fountain in the room and kids keep water bottles, so they can get water whenever they want. The bathroom is a little more annoying... we're under renovation this year, and the started renovating our bathroom without thinking about the fact that it's the only one third and fourth grade can get to easily... but I do a class bathroom break, each student gets a freebie once in the morning and once in the afternoon, and they know they can always ask if it's a real emergency. I've found that students are usually pretty good about training their own bladders as long as they know the guidelines, and it's very seldom that I get asked at a bad time (and get a "no" answer to "can it wait three minutes?")

EDIT: And of the two accidents I've had in the last three years, one happened in PE, because the PE teachers refuse to let kids use the bathroom under any circumstances which totally makes sense when they are the only teachers that work with any 2-6 graders with a bathroom in their "classroom," and a girl running up to me on her way into the classroom from the bus. So far, so good :)

21. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Feb 27, 2016

How frustrating, gr3.

22. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Feb 27, 2016

With three recesses (15/30/15) and a lunch (30 - in class) spread out throughout the day, such that they spend a maximum of 90 minutes at a time with me, I stress to them that they should utilize those times as much as possible for the bathroom breaks. I pretty much say no (except for emergencies) within 5-10 minutes on either end, but am plenty lenient in the middle, so long as it isn't in the middle of instruction. Over the course of the day, there's probably 10-15 trips total out of the 24 students, and I'll remind those who tend to be the ones who consistently are going in the middle. That being said, I don't stress over it too much...it just isn't worth it, especially given I'd rather err on the side of caution than ever have even one time when a student has some kind of accident!

Backroads likes this.
  23. Mrs. Vakharia

Mrs. Vakharia New Member

Feb 27, 2016

Hey, I'm new at this and I'm unable to start a new thread. I get a message that says "Enter a valid message". Posted for help on FAQ but was wondering if I could get some help here.
    Thanks

24. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Feb 27, 2016

I rarely tell a kid he can't go to the bathroom/get a drink (They are actually the same hand signal in my room.) However, I do stagger it if I have five kids asking to go in quick succession.

I just find it funny how young kids really do tend to confuse their bathroom needs.

otterpop and mathmagic like this.
  25. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Feb 27, 2016

Or change their mind when you mention that they'll need to finish up the work when they get back and that they might miss a couple minutes of recess :p

Backroads likes this.
  26. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Feb 27, 2016

I'll have kids ask to get a drink and then accidentally head to the bathroom, or vice versa... when I ask, they say "oh, I forgot!" If you forgot you had to go to the bathroom, it obviously wasn't a very big need.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
    Backroads likes this.
  27. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 28, 2016

I agree. Revisit the expectations and make sure you have been clear on when they can have these things. My students may NOT get water or go to the bathroom during carpet time. So they don't even ask. If they need a tissue they can get up once from the carpet but must stay on the carpet with that tissue for the remainder of the time (they cannot even get back up to throw it away). During work time they can get up and drink from their water bottle without even asking.