sick of being sick!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by kingsworker, Oct 5, 2004.

1. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Oct 24, 2004

My mom has often wondered... with zero tolerance being so strict, how come HS color guards are allowed to use rifles and sabres (swords)? Don't those come dangerously close to looking like weapons or actually being replicas of them?
    :D :p

2. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Oct 25, 2004

[JOKE]:D I simply cannot believe that you teachers are so misinformed about actual nutrition. I mean, breaking a brownie in half will remove calories? Diet coke balances out anything else you eat with it? Advocating pizza, oreos, beer, and cheesecake? And you people are teaching our kids??? What a sad, sad world.[/JOKE]

I couldn't resist. (Those that get this joke know where it's coming from. If you don't get it, don't worry. :D)

Here is my 5 step plan for staying healthy:

1. Visit the A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums regularly to vent, get support, and relieve stress. :D
    2. Visit A to Z Teacher Stuff to find free lesson plans, printables, tips, and resources to make teaching easier--thus, relieving stress.
    3. Visit the A to Z Teacher Stuff Store to buy needed theme units, printable emergent reader books, workbooks, and other resources that you can download immediately. Avoid waiting for items to ship, and eliminate driving all over town trying to find resources in a teacher store. (Thus, relieving stress.)
    4. Start exercising. Visit the A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums to find support in sticking to your plan! Start out slow. Remember, a 5 minute walk is better than coming home and plopping down all evening, even though that's all you can think about. Exercise relieves stress and you gain more energy.
    5. Watch what you eat. Visit the A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums to find support and ideas for eating right. See comfort foods for what they are! They make you feel good for a moment, and leave you feeling even hungrier later. Avoid those foods. Check out scientifically researched diets that focus on regulating your blood sugar. These are not just for losing weight. They are for eating healthy and feeling better, thus relieving stress. (Examples: South Beach Diet, The New Glucose Revolution Not focused on "low carbs," but "good carbs")
    6. (Okay, so it's a 6 step program now.) Have hand sanitizer readily available in the room. Use it often, and encourage your students to use it as needed. It is required before eating and after blowing nose, etc.

Now for my 5 step program for getting sick:

1. Be a teacher
    2. Breathe the same air as 20+ youngsters in a confined area
    3. Don't ever wash your hands, or use hand sanitizer
    4. Don't eat breakfast
    5. Eat the school lunch
    6. (Okay, so this isn't a 5 step program either) Get into a brawl with a parent. (See thread on "another surprising news story")
    7. Spend all of your free time doing lesson plans
    8. Never leave school less than 1 hour after you are allowed to go home. Don't designate any night to leave as soon as you are allowed to leave.
    9. Have a negative attitude.
    10. Don't sleep at least 7 hours a night.
    11. Oh, and never, ever, whatever you do, visit A to Z Teacher Stuff

All this said, I was trying to be somewhat funny, yet serious at the same time. If I just came across as absolutely crazy, I apologize. :) I didn't get much sleep last night. My luck will be that someone only reads #11 and never visits A to Z Teacher Stuff, without realizing it is listed under "5 step program for getting sick"

3. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Oct 25, 2004

I wonder what the statistics are for secondary teachers? I taught seven 40-45 minute classes daily, of between 32-38 students each, every day for 26 years. That's a lot of individualized phlegm blowing in the wind. I'd do the math but it makes my brain hurt.

4. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Oct 25, 2004

P.S. Your post is hilarious. I wonder how many people will take offense? Oh, like we care. THOSE people are no fun anyway. Mother Nature thins the herd. HA ha ha hahahahahahahaha.

5. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Oct 25, 2004

:D Ok, I think it is time to say...step away from the keyboard! :D
    As for the math on your individual phlegm count...*shudder* I'll leave that up to you! Of course for elementary teachers you have to add the clothing margin...you know, they're sick, they don't feel good, they want to snuggle, then you find "stuff" on your shirt... :eek:

6. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 25, 2004

Do you have any idea how many times a 4 or 5 year old has sneezed directly into my mouth? Goes to show ya, I should keep my trap shut.

7. cmbogner

cmbogner Rookie

Oct 25, 2004

I'm sitting here, with a Kleenex in my hand, laughing my arse off!! If that isn't a cure for flying phlegm, I'm not sure what is.

Another added note...did you know that a sneeze actually lingers in the air for a whole 1/2 hour? YUCK!

New buzz in the drug department though...our pharmacist says that all of their workers use a mouth spray called Zicam as a preventative as well as cold remedy. I've used it twice tonight and am already feeling better. Hmmm...how many sicks days left?

8. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Oct 25, 2004

I used to wipe down my desks with Lysol, between classes. I don't know if it helped or not, but it made ME feel better. Also, even though my immune system is very much weakened by muscular dystrophy, I seldom get sick. I think it's the Echinacea I take every day. My doctor says it just might be. Then again, it could also be the famous Placebo Effect at work. But if it works, who cares?

9. LucyLane

LucyLane Rookie

Oct 25, 2004

drink plenty of water and wash hands frequently :) I'm all for drinking water, and I encourage the children to drink plenty, of course I model this by constantly carrying a cup of water around. One of the little ones even commented "my lips are getting chapped, I really need more water huh." they are so cute. I think it helps alot, especially when I feel a cold coming on. I agree with all the handwashing/santizing advice, one of the first things we learn in the fall is proper handwashing.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2004
  10. omiof5

omiof5 Rookie

Oct 26, 2004

Hey, I figure that any time I can fool my body into healing itself, I'm ahead of the game. I LOVE placebos -- how the heck do you spell the plural of placebo, anyway? :D

11. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Oct 26, 2004

Ummm...sugar pills? :D

12. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Oct 26, 2004

Placebo. Placeboes.
    Nouns that end in "o" form their plural by adding 'es,' UNLESS the word has something to do with the arts, in which case its plural is formed by simply adding 's.'

Piano. Pianos. Alto. Altos. Solo. Solos. Piccolo. Piccolos. (ARTS)
    Potato. Potatoes. Silo. Siloes. Placebo. Placeboes. (plain old words)

I love grammar. Can ya tell?

13. kingsworker

kingsworker Companion

Oct 27, 2004

Jane, if you weren't so doggone funny, I'd want to choke you right now. I HATE grammar!!! :) (and spelling) hehe!
    Amanda, I LOVED your post!!! Too funny! I have had a horrible week and needed the laughs!
    Grammy, you'll like this one... today, one of my 2nd graders was going to the public library with the K-1 teacher. She had loaded all 8 kids on the van, in their booster seats, when the little girl ("Ann") says, "I just puked in my hand". After the teacher moves a few kids out of the way the little girl gets out of the van and SHAKES her hand off. Puke goes EVERYWHERE!!!! (Even in one little boy's eye!!!) GAG!!!! "Ann" had coughed so much that she made herself throw up! I'm just glad she wasn' in my room at the time. I don't think I could've handled it this week! :)

14. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 27, 2004

HHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!! Puke flying everywhere! Yes, Yes I can relate to that!!!!

15. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 27, 2004

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww pukers!!!! GAG!! I'm sorry, but I'm the weak stomached one in my room. If someone starts puking, the aides have to clean it up otherwise we would have my puke to clean up, too. I go and call the parents... COME GET YOUR KID! THEY ARE PUKING TO HIGH HEAVEN... lol

Lori

16. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Oct 27, 2004

I don't know about you all, but EVERY time a kid has puked in my room (at least twice a year), it has always been on the carpet. There's a 9x12 rug in the back for group lessons, and rest is tile. All that tile, but they'd always throw up on the carpet.

17. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 27, 2004

Yes, they love to do it on the carpet...and on their shoes...your shoes...
    We don't have aides, stuck with the fun all by ourselves! Yes, we call the parents right away, too. It's funny how little kids don't know when they have to throw up. They can be sitting there coloring and out it flies!

18. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Oct 27, 2004

OK... we have a number of kids who are still being toilet-trained (and NOT just our little guys... we have 11 and 14-yr-olds who are still in diapers, YUCK!)... you know, kids are so smart... they know if they "go" they get to leave whatever they're doing because we aren't allowed to NOT change them, and even if we were, we SO don't want to smell it... yeah, these kids are prety smart... but you gotta love the kids who have EVERY opportunity to use the bathroom, to request a need to go, to just open the door and LEAVE and hope you follow... but NO! They go RIGHT THERE! ON THE CARPET! ON THEIR PANTS! and IN THEIR SHOES!!!!! And GRIN! or, worse, LAUGH!!!!

Things you hear around our school that you wouldn't expect to hear elsewhere: "ok, push your pee out!"

It's so funny... when I was little, I so desperately wanted to see what a guy's bathroom looked like... now, i spend WAY more time in there than I ever wanted to!

ok... /rambling

AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! :)

19. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 27, 2004

That's about it...pee and poop are common words where I work. Yup, that's what we get paid for...pee and poop patrol!

20. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 28, 2004

THE THREE P's in education... pee, poop and puke.

21. kingsworker

kingsworker Companion

Oct 28, 2004

The preschool at our school has a table right outside the bathroom for changing diapers. Unfortunately for us, the bathroom is right across the hall. My fourth and fifth graders are almost to the point that anyone shorter than them is perfectly okay for them to see running down the hall with no pants on being chased by a teacher. It's amazing what we teachers, and even the students, begin to see as normal behavior! :) There's one little boy who, when he has to go, will start stripping down on his way out of the room. THe funny part was that most of them were wearing overalls for Dress Like a Farmer Day. Do you know how many preschoolers can operate overalls?!?! NONE! :) Lot's of little "moons" out today! heheh! (I'll have to remeber the 3-P's! Cute!)

22. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 28, 2004

That's so funny, the three P's! This is so cute. We took the kids outside to play today. When we came in , this one little guy kept sticking his hand in his coat pocket. The other teacher in my room thought he was hiding candy so she stuck her hand in his pocket and found it was full of worms form the playground! I thought that was such typical little boy behavior. I wrote it down to put into his portfolio. I took him outside and we let the worms go back to the earth where they would be happy!

23. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Oct 28, 2004

Hey Lori, I have a weak stomach too. I can't smell it or see it or I get sick as well. I have to call the cleaning guy and the someone takes the child to the nurse.
    I can deal with pee and poop just not puke.

24. cmbogner

cmbogner Rookie

Oct 28, 2004

We counted today the number of times our janitor was paged to the office to clean up puke...9 times. Poor guy, he should get a bonus for every pile he cleans up!!

25. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 28, 2004

I can deal with pee and puke...just not poop.
    There is something desperately wrong with us.