sick of being sick!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by kingsworker, Oct 5, 2004.

1. kingsworker

kingsworker Companion

Oct 5, 2004

Does anyone else seem to catch EVERYTHING that your students bring in??? Just this past weekend I've had a stomach bug AND a sore throat! I've been miserable! And to think, fall is just beginning! AUGGHHHH!!! hehehehe! Just needed to vent a little. :p The only plus side to it is that since I've all but lost my voice, my students have to be extra quiet in order to hear me. Otherwise, I get to blow my whistle and they hate that!

3. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Oct 5, 2004

I know you must feel awful but why cant you buy a sharper image ionizer and send the bill to the insurance company? Sharper image even comes with a blue bulb to kill MOLD!

I honestly ALWAYS catch a cold three to five days BEFORE my period!

4. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 5, 2004

I am never, ever sick...really! Either that or I am sick all the time and don't know the difference! Seriously, I wash my hands all day long, keep a window cracked even when it is cold outside, clean the bathroom twice daily and disinfect it (it's in my room), same with the sink, drink tons of juice at work, and move so fast that the germs can't get me! Oh, I drink coffee and I try to laugh alot all day long ( ha ) now that can be a real challenge! Oh, and eat chocolate ... it cures everything.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 5, 2004

Did you ever see that commercial on TV for some quick remedy for colds (can't remember what it's called) but you take it when you go on a plane or in other germ ridden recycled air type spaces to ward off colds. It was invented by a teacher who was tired of getting sick all the time!! She was on Oprah recently. They said teachers are great inventors (neccessity is the mother of invention afterall!!) :)

6. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 5, 2004

I finally had to go to an ENT last year. I got tired of being sick all of the time. I would get a sinus infection and 4-6 weeks later, I was sick again. I got tired of it. Come to find out, I am allergic to mold and guess what we found in my classroom... MOLD... in the cabinets. Well, my wonderful aides cleaned the cabinets out since I couldn't do it... doctor's orders to stay away from it... and sprayed it down with this mold preventing spray with a 2 year coat. It worked! Of course the kids still come with green snot noses but they can't blame in on the mold in the classroom. I did have one spell right before school started when I went to clean out my closet... found mold in the bottom of one side and I HAD to be the one to clean it out... no one else was there. I got a sinus infection but that is the only one I've had since FEBRUARY when I started taking allergy shots for mold and got put back on zyrtec and added singulair tablet and Qvar inhaler... still got that monthly medicine bill, but at least it is for being WELL and NOT SICK! :) As for the stomach viruses and such, KNOCK ON WOOD, I've not gotten it, THANK GOODNESS especially since I was going thru my first year after gastric bypass. I don't know what a stomach virus would do to a "new" stomach... I guess it would have reaked havoc.

I've heard of that cold preventative stuff... I've seen the commercials. I've not seen it in stores, but then again, I really haven't looked. I can't think of the name of it either... I can see the commercial in my mind! ColdEase? no that doesn't sound right... I don't know.

Lori

7. kingsworker

kingsworker Companion

Oct 6, 2004

AHA! My favorite saying is....money talks, but chocolate sings!!! :p Of course, if chocolate really was a cure all, I'd NEVER be sick!!! hehehe! Thanks everyone, I mostly just needed to vent after being so miserable! :love:

8. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Oct 6, 2004

I think it's called Airborne. I am definitely going to invest in some. I get everything my kids bring. I take Vitamin C supplement, regular vitamans, Lysol my room and desks...doesn't matter...I'm gonna get sick! :crosseyed

9. ayims

ayims Guest

Oct 6, 2004

Be preventative- use hand sanitizers!

This year I have had all the students bring in 1 bottle of handsanitizer.
    Some are placed around the room (others stored for future use) and the children are told to use them if they sneeze or cough or before snack. (Of course the proper way to use is modelled for them.) The kids call it the
    'slippery soap' and all of them have used it with their parents before. Regular soap and water is still a must after using the toilet - the hand sanitizers are not as effective for this.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 6, 2004

It is called Airborne- It's at drugstore.com I'd like to try it!! (Just heard flu shots are limited this year- any preventative measure is worth it!!)

11. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Oct 7, 2004

An activity I use in my Project WET workshops and do with my kids every year is great for showing them how germs spread. We talk about what sneezes are then I ask them to do a fake sneeze. They all sneeze into their hands. I do my "sneeze" with a spray bottle filled with water then I start shaking hands and having them shake hands. Everyone ends up with water in their hands. (This always grosses out my girls!) This lets them see how they spread germs that way.
    To show them how important it is that they cover their mouth while they cough I start "coughing" and just squirting away with the bottle. It's a simple lesson, but really effective in keeping them more clean and aware.

12. Cocoa

Cocoa New Member

Oct 10, 2004

OMG, that is such a great idea!!! I am a new teacher and new to this board and so far, I have been sick three times! Finally, I broke down and bought echinacea and I swear, I feel so much better!!!

13. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Oct 10, 2004

I saw something on TV about the airborn remedy. It was made by a teacher who was sick of being sick. When I first started teaching 4 years ago I caught everything and had a bad case of bronchitis (sp??). Now I make sure I wash my hands. I have only been out of school sick once that was from a 24 virus that had me sick as a dog!

14. diggerdeb

diggerdeb Comrade

Oct 10, 2004

To show the children how germs spread-"cough germs of white baby powder" Then shaking hands, touching tables, picking up pencils will visiblely show the kiddos how quickly germs can spread to everything.

It doesn't take much powder to go a long way:)

15. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Oct 10, 2004

It helps a little bit if you keep a bottle of antiseptic hand wash by your box of kleenex. If they take a kleenex, they have to use the hand wash. (the kind that doesn't have to be rinsed off) If your students are young, you'll have to make sure they don't drink it.

16. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 10, 2004

In our hygiene classes we have learned that hand washing is the single most important preventative thing you can do to limit your sick time. I wash my hands so much during the day(and tell my kids to)...that my soap bottle has to be filled daily! It is worth it. I am never sick. Haven't had a cold in years...

17. kingsworker

kingsworker Companion

Oct 12, 2004

All I know is thank GOD for the flu shot!!! A doctor that goes to our church (which is where the school is located) is reserving enough flu shots for our entire staff. It's really not a miracle to get that many even with the shortage... we only have 7 full time staff members! But still I'm glad to know we'll be getting one without having to pay!!! :)

18. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 12, 2004

I don't get the flu shot... I remember one winter, mom, dad and my brother got it... they all got sick and I didn't... GO FIGURE!

Lori

19. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 12, 2004

Lori,
    Same here...my husband got sicker than a dog the year he got the flu shot and most everyone at work who gets the shot gets the flu. Many will argue this (not me) , but I am just saying what I have observed. There are 3 of us at work who never get it. My mom is 85, with heart problems and never gets it. Just the thought of it makes me sick! Lori, we must be related...or from another planet.

20. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Oct 13, 2004

I feel like a walking info mercial but let this testimonial be a reminder again that you CAN do SOMETHING to help keep you well that doesnt require 'shots or meds'! I posted earlier about air machines....

Sharper Image has a refurbished store on EBAY. Its legit and the mold/air ionizers are 175. If you think of it over the course of ten months, you are paying 18 dollars a month to maintain the healthiest environment. You walk into the room and the air does smell differently. Its not like a plug in airfreshner made by 'glade' this is an industrial size machine that with the mold bulb looks like a huge bug zapper on the porch in the summer time!

I DONT have one at work but have SEVERAL in my home in the bedrooms being used. We had the oreck air purifiers and RETURNED them. We are so happy with the sharper image ones.

21. kingsworker

kingsworker Companion

Oct 13, 2004

I would like to try the air purifiers, especially for my home. We have an old house with a coal furnace, and we're in the middle of remodeling, so we have dry wall dust everywhere! :) I'm still thinking of getting the flu shot. I have known people who've gotten sick with up, but I know a lot that didn't, too. I think it would be good for me. I don't have the greatest immune system it seems. I've always been the one to catch EVERYTHING, since I was a child. I've had a mild case of the flu one time, and I don't think I could handle a full-fledged case! (I'm kind of a wimp sometimes-hehe!)

22. jenniatek

jenniatek Companion

Oct 13, 2004

I just bought some of that Airborn stuff at Fred Meyer the other day. The type I got is a dissolving tablet that you dissolve into a bit of water every 3 hours when you feel a cold coming on or before you go on an airplane, or anywhere where there's a lot of germs floating around. I took it yesterday twice because I felt a little off and my kids have been sick, and I feel better today...maybe conicidence but I'm going to keep taking it. Kids can take it too.

23. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 13, 2004

orange juice, fresh air, wash hands, eat well...ha! I ate 4 brownies today...

24. kingsworker

kingsworker Companion

Oct 14, 2004

I'm with you Grammy, BROWNIES!!!! :) The problem with eating well is that I consider that stuff that tastes good! I have started a multi-vitamin, though, on the more serious side. But, yum, these doughnuts I'm having for breakfast sure are yummy! hehehe! Does it count that I'm at least drinking milk with them??? :D

25. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 14, 2004

milk

Yes, the milk cancels out all the sugar and calories...I had more brownies today. NO time to get sick...

26. kingsworker

kingsworker Companion

Oct 14, 2004

Also, if you eat it at church, the calories don't count! :)

27. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Oct 14, 2004

you do know, right, that calories are afraid of heights? So store stuff on top of the fridge... the calories get afraid and jump out...

Also... chocolate is really a vegetable, since it comes from a plant... ;)

28. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 14, 2004

Be Quick

And did you know that if you eat real fast, (like chocolate), that it doesn't count at all? I can gulp down a brownie and glass of milk in 30 seconds. :p

29. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Oct 14, 2004

The trick is to break it in half before you eat it...the calories escape! :D

30. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Oct 14, 2004

Anything you eat outside of your own home has no calories whatsoever. And if you eat it in a restaurant, it actually takes calories AWAY from your body.

31. kingsworker

kingsworker Companion

Oct 15, 2004

My favorite is the buffet. I figure all that walking to and from the buffet line burns most of the calories before I even get to eat my meal!!! The more trips I make, the more calories I burn! (Just came up with that off the top of my head. Maybe I do have a few brain cells working after this week! :) )

32. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 15, 2004

well, if you drink a diet coke with anything, it balances out the meal. Diet Coke and a Snickers? you break even! lol

33. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Oct 15, 2004

You're absolutely right about the diet coke. It turns that Big Mac into a rice cake, calorie-wise. Um, it's a math thing. Or maybe science. Whatever, it works for me. In my head, that is. Elsewhere, maybe not. . . .

34. kingsworker

kingsworker Companion

Oct 15, 2004

Who says we'll never use math in real life??? HA!

35. grobanite

grobanite Rookie

Oct 24, 2004

getting sick

I'm just a student teacher, and I've only "seriously" been in a classroom for, let's see.... 7 weeks.

I've had 4 colds.

:eek:

4 separate colds. I know this, because even though one trailed another, they all had a beginning, middle, and end to them. (funny how quickly one picks up "teacherisms" :D)

I've heard that a teacher's desk (or any desk at all for that matter) has more germs per square inch, than a public toilet seat. Eeeeeeeeeew! How disgusting!

I've also heard that you shouldn't put any kleenex box on your desk, but put it across the classroom, and you minimize germ contact that way. And of course, hand sanitizers are wonderful in a mysteriously unexplainable way. I can't figure how a dime-sized amount of smelly clear liquid is effective, but they do claim to "kill 99.9% of germs". Okay, then.

But I'm interested in this Airborne stuff. I haven't heard of it before. Obviously, I have a very weak immune system to develop and I think I need it.

Does anyone know if it's sold in Canada? Where can you buy it in our big beautiful country?

36. omiof5

omiof5 Rookie

Oct 24, 2004

The Stress Diet

Your posts reminded me of this old joke:

Stress Diet

BREAKFAST
    1/2 grapefruit
    1 slice whole wheat toast, dry
    8 oz nonfat milk

LUNCH
    4 oz. lean broiled chicken breast
    1 cup steamed spinach
    1 cup herb tea, unsweetened
    1 Oreo cookie

AFTERNOON SNACK
    Remaining Oreos in package
    2 pints chocolate chip ice cream
    1 jar hot fudge sauce
    Nuts, cherries, whipped cream

DINNER
    2 loaves garlic bread with cheese
    Large sausage/mushroom/cheese pizza
    4 cans or 1 large pitcher of beer
    3 large candy bars

BEDTIME SNACK
    Entire Sara Lee frozen cheesecake, unthawed

1. If you eat something without being seen, it has no calories.

2. If you drink a diet soda with a candy bar, the calories in the candy are cancelled.

3. If you're eating with a companion, calories need not be counted unless you eat more than the other person.

4. Food used for medicinal purposes NEVER counts; examples are chocolate, brandy, cheesecake.

5. Movie-related foods do not have calories because they are part of the entire entertainment package; examples are Milk Duds, buttered popcorn, Junior Mints, nachos, and hot dogs.

6. Cookie pieces contain no calories. (The breakage process results in calorie leakage.)

7. Food licked off knives and spoons has no calories if you are in the process of preparing a snack for someone else.

8. Foods that are the same color have equivalent calories; examples are spinach and pistachio ice cream or mushrooms and white chocolate. (Dark chocolate is a universal color and may be substituted for any other color.)

37. SleddingSister

SleddingSister Rookie

Oct 24, 2004

*emergen C : sold in vitamin world, gnc, and walmart..on vitamin aisle ...100 percent vitamin c..3x what you get in an orange..take when you feel a cold coming on..just mixes into water..yummy flavors...

*elderberry ...you can add to anything liquid..about 50 drops..i take on a daily basis..all year..boosts your immune system...as a preschool teacher..i think i had one cold last year....yo can buy itin the natural stores....it comes in a glass bottle...one bottle does me almost one year...i put mine in hot or iced tea...and then drink.it tastes like blackberry brandy..

*i was my hands with wet wipes..since we don't have a bathroom or sink in our classroom...(i take the children to the bathroom at transition points in the day)....the kids use wet wipes as well....(the children are not allowed to use hand sanitizer in the classroom-school rule-one parent complained..and it is now banned)

*vitamin c drops...found on the cough drop aisle in drug store...when you feel a cold coming on..or have a cold..just to much vitamin c makes me get direhea....so watch out..lol

38. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Oct 24, 2004

Buy the stinky strong-smelling hand sanitizer, for two reasons: you'll know it's being used, and they won't use it unnecessarily because it stinks. Flowery pretty smelling things get abused. Put the kleenex where you can see it easily, but where they face AWAY from the class to use it. Check it all the time. Older students are sometimes too embarassed to tell you the box is empty, even when they really need a kleenex. I used to keep cough drops in a bowl but now they're classified as a drug. (Remember, my students are older.) In fact, in my old school, CHAPSTICK is a drug. And so is that wax the kids use to keep their braces from digging into their gums. I think we're getting more than just a little bit absurd.

On a more serious note, brownie batter studded with pecans has no calories at all. The calories are added in the oven.

39. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Oct 24, 2004

I agree Jane, we are getting a little absurd. My 4th graders can't keep cough drops. Their mom can't just bring some by to keep in the office. The only thing the kids can take at school are medications that their doctor prescribes and comes sealed in a prescription bottle.

40. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 24, 2004

Jane, same with any cookie dough. Eat as much as you can before baking it. Seriously...and a great way to lose weight is to take a salad to school and eat it first...then eat the school food and the salad cancels out the grease.

41. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Oct 24, 2004

My college has only vending machines. Alas, I am forced to eat Snickers Bars for supper. Fortunately, since I am FORCED to eat them, they have no calories. Nothing in a vending machine has calories. The humiliation of being displayed, chosen, and purchased for coinage takes all the fat out of them. I'd take a salad from home, but those poor candy bars have enough to worry about without having to watch me choose something other than one of them. My goal is to free them all, before Christmas.