Sick of Administrators LYING!!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by rookieABC123, Jul 21, 2008.

1. rookieABC123

rookieABC123 Comrade

Jul 21, 2008

I am so sick of people lying to my face! This whole thing of finding a teaching position is really starting to be a joke!! I am seriously considering moving into something different. The system is so corrupt it literally makes me want to puke! I go on an interview, made it to the second round. They tell me I won't hear anything for two weeks because it won't get approved until the Aug. board meeting. What a joke! I just read in today's paper that they hired a spec. ed. teacher (they only had one opening) at the July 18 board meeting. What is up with these people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    I did find out that starting salary is a lot worse than I thought there. I'd make more money at McD's. Boy, that is sad.

3. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 21, 2008

McD's has some pretty decent benefits!! I'm not kidding either. My next door neighbor is a manager for McD's and makes enough that the wifey can stay home with the little ones. He says it can get pretty icky with all the grease though.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2008

I'm sorry about your experience, rookie.

Not all administrators are bad. Hang in there, and I'm sure the right job will open up for you. Are you able to relocate? That might help your chances of landing a job.

5. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Jul 21, 2008

Sorry about your situation. I have ran across some Administrators that lied to me. I wanted to teach at my daughters school. Before I became a teacher i volunteered no pay for three years after classes to help teachers.. I heard nothing but good from what I was doing. Did I get hired there no. She gave the job to someone else and promised me the job. But, I have to say I am grateful I have the job I have now. I would not change this job for anything. I am glad that she did what she did. Things will look up.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2008

EEEK- having served on my district's hiring committee, I know how messages from those who are interviewing could be misconstrued. Even if we kind of know during an interview that a person just isn't going to be 'the one', we handle the interview professionally, positively and encouragingly...The principal always gives a timeline of where we are in the interviewing process. Sometimes candidates are not our first choice but are kind of 'waitlisted' in case the first choice for some reason doesn't accept the job or is not approved by the board...that's what causes the time delay in non-chosen candidates finding out they 'didn't get the job'... You should ALWAYS get a call or note regarding the outcome of the process though...

In the event that this happens again (I hope it doesn't!!), would you consider a note to the admnistrators along the lines of..."I wanted to thank you again for interviewing me for XXX position. I enjoyed discussing XXXX (philosophies, curriculum, etc) with you. I felt that my education and skills would be a great match for your district however I recently read online that the XXX position was filled by another candidate. Please keep me in mind for any upcoming openings in your school. Thank you." Kind of sends the message that you found out on your own, that you are disappointed but leaves the door open for future possibilities...:blush:

7. rookieABC123

rookieABC123 Comrade

Jul 21, 2008

No, what I would rather say is thank you for wasting my precious time that could've be spent doing something else besides getting all dressed up and driving all that way for a wasted interview. Thank you for getting me all stressed out and nervous for nothing. Thank you (again) for another disappointment and let down. Thank you for not having the common courtesy to be honest with people telling them that a decision won't be made for a couple of weeks when in fact it has already been made. Please DO NOT EVER consider me for another position at your school. I don't want to work for someone that is as unprofessional as you!!! Oh, by the way isn't that false advertisement to advertise a position and intervew people when you know d*** well the position is filled.Maybe I shoud sue you....yeah that's it. I could easily sue for all the S*** you have put me through for the past weeks....waiting and hoping.

Sorry......I have to get this all out. I appreciate your advice. What you said was true, but I am tired of kissing butt. It hasn't gotten me anywhere yet!!:tired:

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2008

I understand your frustration. In my district we must post openings but we are not required to interview for them if they are filled 'in house'...An interview is never a waste of time- it gives you the opportunity to hone your interviewing skills, make connections, learn about different districts and philosophies...You need to 'snap out of it' and think more positively- you don't want to go on any interviews in your current frame of mind...

9. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Jul 21, 2008

I agree with czacza-----Think positive.....I know that it is hard to do--I went through this last summer and I have a family of 5 no one in my family was working and I had to do something...I went to interview after interview and nothing happened...I kept calling one principal and she would not answer the phone....I got so upset with her!! I just kept praying and talking to my church family about it and I finally got a job and it is wonderful!!! ROOKIE--pray about it and relax it will come when u least expect it....don't give up!

10. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jul 21, 2008

Many times a District will have "courtesy" interviews for all those who applied, because by law they have to post a position, even tho they have known all along who they will be hiring to fill a position. It's not right, but I have heard most if not all Districts do this. Just hang in there and tell yourself you are being saved for a better job down the road! August tends to be a big hiring month because many teachers decide at the last minute to either find another job or not to return.

11. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 21, 2008

No interview is a waste of time. You gain experience in interviewing, you learn about the district (both positive and negative.). I'm sorry you are frustrated, but truly, this is all part of the job-search process. If you are stressing over this, what are you going to do when you get a teaching job and something REALLY stressful happens?

12. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 21, 2008

Perhaps you only know of one spec ed position, but the one that has been filled is a different one. It seems unusual that they would specifically mention the August meeting, when you read about a July meeting.

13. USCgrad

USCgrad Companion

Jul 21, 2008

i agree...the interview itself was practice for the next one!

and be thankful that you got that far! i have applied and applied and applied and heard NADA...nothing...zilch.....from anybody.

14. rookieABC123

rookieABC123 Comrade

Jul 22, 2008

I agree. I am grateful for have gotten the interview. I do need the practice. However, I think the system is very messed up. It is way too political. Do these people really care who they get to teach our children or are they hiring someone because they know someone. I know for sure in high paying districts the latter is the case. Sorry for being so harsh...I just think that if we want our schools to change it has to start at the top!! I know of no other profession that would treat people so unprofessionally.

15. USCgrad

USCgrad Companion

Jul 22, 2008

i think that sort of thing happens IN EVERY OTHER profession...it just may not be as outright....

i graduated in 1992 with a business degree and very very quickly found out that I needed to know more people....graduated again in 08 and have learned the same.....

it sucks and it certainly needs to change...it is NOT EOE....and it is definitely not what is always best for the students but it is reality.

16. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Jul 22, 2008

I agree that this most recent board meeting could have been for a different position you did not know about. Also, consider that several administrators may be interviewing for the same positions. If one person got her interviewee in time to make it to the July board meeting, then, well, the other administrator, and you, are out of luck--at least until August.

I understand your frustration, but a lot goes into the hiring process. Believe me, no administrator wants to interview someone "for pretend." That would be a waste of OUR time, when we have lots of other things to be doing.

Don't get your hopes down yet. I suggest a note along the lines that a previous poster mentioned:

"Dear Admin.,

Thank you for taking the time to interview me on XX. I enjoyed meeting with you and think I am a good match for the X position because of XYZ. I read in Y that a SPED postion was recently approved at the July 18 board meeting. Could you tell me if this is the position for which I interviewed? I would still like to be considered for the position, but will need to consider other opportunities if it has already been filled.

Sincerely,

Candidate Y"

You'll never know if you don't ask.

17. emmyblemmy

emmyblemmy Companion

Jul 22, 2008

Don't apologize for getting out your frustrations- that's part of why this board is here. :2cents:

However, you do now need to keep your head up and attitude up, because it will show on the next interview if you do not. I completely understand your frustration, heck, I relocated due to the same experiences you've had. But you will find the place that is right for you- there is plenty of time left- just keep your chin up.

18. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2008

I'm so sorry that this is happening to you but hang in there! The right job, in the right school is RIGHT around the corner!

19. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jul 22, 2008

I interviewed once for a position that the interview committee knew was going to go to teacher who had been released from another position, but I guess they needed to interview others before the job was offered to that teacher again. I only knew this because a grad school prof. also taught at the school part time and told me they already knew who they were going to put in the position before they interviewed anyone. I got my prof's voice mail after the interview. If I had gotten it sooner, I would not have even bothered. But, I eventually got a position at another school.

20. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 22, 2008

Rookie,
    I'm as old as dirt, and I can tell you MOST professions do this. Most do it far more than the teaching profession. Fair or not, it is the way of the world.