Sick leave

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by ChristyF, Feb 9, 2007.

1. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Feb 9, 2007

I did a quick search because I thought there had been a thread on this, but didn't see it. How many sick days do you get each year? Our school board is making noises about cutting ours due to abuse. (Why they can't go after the ones who are abusing the system and leave the rest alone, I don't understand!) I'm just curious what the norm is out there. Thanks!

3. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Feb 9, 2007

We get 2 our first year, and 10 each year after that. They roll over to the next year if unused. Any personal days not used will roll over as sick days the next year. Any comp days that are not used do not roll over.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 9, 2007

10 per year, accummulated if not used.

5. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 9, 2007

When I started my first year we had 10 days and 2 personal!!! I guess why do they care how they are used???

6. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Feb 9, 2007

Well our personal days can be taken for whatever reason. We don't have to give a reason, just get it approved 2 days before the date we want to take off. The general terms apply: not the first or last few days during a grading period, not during testing week, etc...

7. djmondi

djmondi Comrade

Feb 9, 2007

10 per year. We get personal leave also, but I believe WE have to pay for a sub if we use it. Our sick leave rolls over each year.

8. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Feb 9, 2007

First 3 years - 10 sick days (all cummulative)
    4-10 years - 12 sick days (10 cummulative - lose 2)
    11-15 years - 15 sick days (12 cummulative - lose 3)
    16 - ... years - 20 sick days (15 cummulative - lose 5)

Personal Days - 3 (we do not pay for a sub)
    2 (deduct out of our paycheck to pay for sub)
    Total: 5 Personal Days

9. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 9, 2007

This year:
    15 sick days and 5 personal days.

Last year different school:
    12 sick days, 3 personal days.

And three schools ago
    10 sick days
    2 personal days (personal days could not be used to go to anything fun, so could not go to your kids, or brothers sporting event).

At all districts we don't have to pay for a sub. Loss personal days if not used. sick days roll over.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 9, 2007

I'm in a Catholic HS.

We don't get a set number. We're expected to be in when we're well and stay home when we're sick. I've never known anyone to abuse it or to get a hard time about it.

If you need a day off for a personal reason, you go to the principal and request it. Again, I've never been told no.

11. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Feb 9, 2007

We get 10 sick days and 2 personal days or is 3? I can't remember off the top of my head. But whatever we don't use are rolled over into the next year.
    According to our contract we can't take a personal day the day before a vacation or the day after it.

12. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Feb 9, 2007

Jaime, I was wondering, if you are out do you get a sub?

13. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 9, 2007

Yes. Just like a normal teacher would get a sub lol. The kids still need to have lessons. And it wouldn't be fair to make my aide try to teach all the lessons at once.

14. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 9, 2007

In our case the aides often become the sub by themselves for the entire day when the teacher is absent. If it is planned in advance, we are more likely to have a sub helping us. Sometimes this means the sub is the "aide" and sometimes it means the sub is the teacher. It depends on the team and what the comfort level is.

15. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 9, 2007

My aide is a teacher (with out the degree). She teaches in the one room while I am teaching in the other. Than we switch. Besides I don't think it is a good idea to have only one adult in the building.

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 9, 2007

I agree. In any sort of a crisis-- say a sick or hurt child-- you need one adult with the sick child and another with the rest of the kids.

17. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Feb 9, 2007

15 sick days and 3 personal days. The sick days accumulate to a max of, I think, 180 days.

18. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Feb 9, 2007

We get 1 sick day per month, or 9 each year. One can be used as a personal day. The only problem is there are no subs to be found, so taking a day off creates a hardship for the other staff person in the class room. And the supervisors make you feel Really guilty about being off. As a result, I have at least 75 sick days accumulated. Maybe I should take off until the end of the year! Doesn't that sound great?

19. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Feb 9, 2007

We get:

12 sick days
    5 emergency days
    1 personal (can roll over into the next year but can only have 2 a year...if you don't use one, it will not roll. In other words, you can never have more than 2 a year.)

20. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Feb 10, 2007

We have 15 personal / sick days. They don't differentiate between the two. None roll over to the next yerar. If you don't use it, you lose it.

21. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 10, 2007

I'm not in that situation, luckily. I can grab another aide down the hall if I got stuck while my teacher was out.

22. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 10, 2007

We get only 5 - for any use - and they roll over for only one year. I rarely take mine. One year I donated them to someone who was very ill. But, I really need to take some just for me. They don't pay us for them if they remain unused.

23. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 10, 2007

I dont' have sick days. I'm still contract. I don't get paid if I don't go to work. It sucks. I have to wait for someone to vacate a position. I'm second in line for my department for my position. Basically it is a state ran school. The state pays for so many state positions. Then the school gets money from elsewhere to pay for the contract positions as a temporary measure until that employee can become a state employee. I get no benefits etc even though I am full time. I do get college tuition reimbursement though. That's nice.

Christy---I would like to know how many you currently get and how many the admin would rather you have. What do they consider abusive?

24. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 10, 2007

I don't have a teacher down the hall. It is just me and my aide. We are the only two adults at the school all day. In the morning the cook is there but she is 70+ yrs old.

25. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Feb 10, 2007

We get 10 days per year (no difference between sick/personal). They roll over each year.

26. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Feb 11, 2007

I get five. They roll over to the next year if not used and will transfer to another district since they are state days.

27. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Feb 11, 2007

We have 10 total, right now 4 of those can be taken as personal. (Up until about 4 years ago it was 2 personal, but our super. and a group of teachers from the other side of the parish go skiing each year. They needed more than 2 days so they upped it to 4.) At the end of the year, any of our 6 sick days not used roll over, and 2 of our 4 personal days roll over if they aren't used.
    Our parish (like many others, I'm sure) have a bad habit of not dealing with the 2 or 3 people causing trouble, they make blanket decisions. I know one of our teachers was surely one of the causes. Her daughter's boyfriend was in a serious wreck. She took 7 or 8 days off to be with her daughter (who is 21 or 22) at the hospital. According to policy, after 5 consecutive days we have to have a doctor's excuse, but they took hers all as sick.
    I only miss if I am running fever or throwing up so losing some of the sick days doesn't really hurt me, but we are allowed to count sick days (if we have enough accumulated) as a year towards retirement. That's where the trouble is going to come in for many. I just wish they'd deal directly with the ones causing the trouble.

Thank you all for your responses. It was really interesting to see the spectrum out there!

28. musicbean

musicbean Rookie

Feb 11, 2007

sick days

We get 20 sick days each year which accumulate if not used. I think we also get a few personal/unpaid days, but I'm not sure how many that is. Most people I know just use a sick day.

29. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 11, 2007

That would be used as family leave here. Which is actually part of our sick days. But I think we can only take five days. Also I didn't mention we get (all three districts I have worked for) 5 bereavement days.
    I have used three in the past.

30. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Feb 11, 2007

The first school I worked in I think we got 5 sick days (private school), but noone really counted-If you were sick, you stayed home. I think I took more than 5 days in the end, and I never had pay deducted. No personal days officially, but if someone needed one, they got it-I went abroad over vacation, and missed I think 1 1/2 or 2 1/2 days, and there was no problem.

The second school, also a private school, we didn't get an official number, but again, if you were sick you took off, no problems. I always felt guilty though, because they were never able to get a sub, and my aide had to manage on her own, with a very difficult class.

This year, I'm working in a private place in someone's house, and again, there's no official number. We all just take off when we need to.

31. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Feb 11, 2007

I don't understand why a District gives sick days and then tells you how you can use them, that's what personal days are for! What does your District consider "abuse" and how do they monitor all the teachers in the district? I know there are some years I have taken off when all has been well and everyone has been healthy and there have been other years when my family, including myself, went from Strep., to bronchitis, to bilateral ear infections to pinkeye, so some years are just better than others!

32. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Feb 11, 2007

All of the schools, especially jr high and high are having trouble getting subs. I think that is part of the reason. Also, we have an almost completely new school board, they are looking at making changes. There's no official notice yet so I'm waiting for that.

33. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 11, 2007

True, but sometimes you know when someone is abusing things. When every sick day is a Monday or a Friday or right before/after a vacation. Or the day of an assembly or proctoring or something else unpleasant.

34. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 12, 2007

Or the day of an outdoor field trip and the weather is less-than-appealing.

35. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Feb 12, 2007

I actually had to be gone on a Field Day. I was so disappointed that I was missing it. Luckly, many parents and volunteers were going to be there. Some of them were our normal subs so it was easy to find someone that day.

36. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 12, 2007

It doesn't really matter if you are gone on Monday or Friday. You still used a day and you still are absent.

Christy, here's my question: If they reduce the number of days (which it doesn't look like are any more than the rest of the folks), how will that stop the people that are going over them?

37. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Feb 12, 2007

It won't. That's what they do, though, put a big bandaid on and hope for the best.

38. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 12, 2007

We get 10 sick days per year for a full-time position certified position. They roll over if unsued. We get one personal day per year. It used to be "use it or lose it", but now they roll over to sick days. We get two emergency days, and the don't roll over.

Anytime we use a day, we have to sign for it on our return or they hold our paycheck for the month.

Normally I don't miss many days for illness. Sometimes one or two. One year I was really sick and missed 45 days. Nobody said anything to me about it, but they did know that I was seriously ill.

We can also donate banked sick days to others.

39. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 12, 2007

I get 10, even for 1st year teachers.

40. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Feb 12, 2007

And now you know the rest of the story...

We had a faculty meeting today (an hour and a half with me with a huge headache, but that's beside the point!) What we are being told is that they are not trying to cut our sick days, but they are going to make it so that days can't be donated between teachers. Apparently some are selling their days. No official notice yet, it's all in committee, but we'll see where it goes from here.

41. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 12, 2007

Wow, "selling" is a LONG way from "donating"!!!

That's a real shame. Every so often, you read of someone facing a tragedy who gets by thanks to the donated sick days of his or her co-workers.