"sick" day?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by LA/FLnewbie, May 19, 2009.

1. LA/FLnewbie

LA/FLnewbie Companion

May 19, 2009

How many of you have ever called in sick when you weren't so much "sick" as in major need of a "day"? I have been feeling crappy and started working on sub plans during my prep but now feel OK...I just really, really want a day to catch up on grading and sleep and to shed some of the awful stress I am feeling! What do you think -- is this a terrible thing to do?

I have only taken one sick day so far this year and no personal days...I feel such enormous guilt taking time off :unsure:

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 19, 2009

I think we've all used a mental health day!

4. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

May 19, 2009

Stress will equal sick soon enough if you don't take care of yourself. So, if it helps you :) think of it as a sickness prevention day :)

To answer your question, I have taken a "sick" day here and there throughout my 14 years. Most of us know that preparing for a sub is a royal pain in the butt, so that becomes my measuring stick of how badly I need a "sick" day :) If I need a day bad enough to prepare for a sub, then I take the day.

5. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

May 19, 2009

Take a day if you want!
    On a side note, I was at school really early my first year teaching getting sub plans ready for a mental health day. My plan was to sneak out before anyone came to work. I was wearing jeans and a t-shirt, but my hair was still wrapped up and I looked like a bum. I go into the school and the alarm makes a funny sound, but I don't think anything of it. A few minutes later I hear someone shouting from outside in the parking lot. My class was next to the door, so I peak out and I see the person drive away, so I keep working. A few minutes later the police show up. Someone broke into the school and ran off when I showed up and disarmed the alarm. I'm so fortunate that they were at the other side of the school and weren't breaking into one of the classes on my side. By the time I was allowed to go home the kids started to arrive. I still walked straight out the door and enjoyed my mental health day.

6. Lotte

Lotte Companion

May 20, 2009

Mental health is also health

A day off for mental health reasons is a day off to improve your health, to make sure you'll be able to keep up the good work.
    Mental health is also health! As long as you know it's really needed, I too think the preventive effect is important and that you shouldn't feel bad about it. (Off course up to a limit ;) )

7. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 20, 2009

I often take mental health days as well. I am hoping having Monday off will be enough because I really don't know when else I will be able to take off, but I NEED one!

8. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

May 20, 2009

I take mental health days as I feel the need. Sometimes we feel like we just can't go on without a day to get our minds right. My dh and I take a day off at the same time each spring. Enjoy your day off and do not feel guilty. You owe it to yourself.

9. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

May 20, 2009

I took 2 this year (I feel guilty for taking 2!)

I went to see an Obama Rally on one of the days, then a few months later I took another day to unpack after I moved.

I'm first year, so I don't have any personal days.

10. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

May 20, 2009

Honestly, I've never taken a "sick" day just because I needed a break. I don't necessarily think it's wrong, and I know people do it a lot, but I just haven't. What I have done is scheduled dr's appts and then used a sick day.

11. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

May 20, 2009

I've never used one only for the fact that I HATE writing sub plans.

I would if I was in desperate need though.

12. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

May 20, 2009

That's why writing sub plans is my measuring stick of if I REALLY need a day off :p

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 20, 2009

Mental health is as important as physical health.

If you need a break and have the time to take, take it!

14. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

May 20, 2009

I make emergency generic plans at the beginning of the year. There are days I use them even if I am there and just need to supplement my plans. But they make it easy to do a mental health day.

15. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

May 20, 2009

yeah; my reason too...I have to write very detailed notes/letters to the sub.
    anyhow; they're called Personal days at our school and you can be sick or just don't feel like going to school; doesn't matter.
    I used to feel guilty too, my first year, but that goes away really fast. :D
    I've earned my days and I'm going to take them...I have 3 more to go!

16. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 20, 2009

If you haven't used a personal day, why not take one of those?

17. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

May 20, 2009

We have to have personal days approved in advance, so we can't call in for a personal day.

18. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

May 20, 2009

I've done it once this year. I really just needed time for me - to sleep in, sit on the couch and veg. So, I took it. And I don't feel guilty.

We get 20 sick days a year and this year, I think I've used a total of 3. I don't think they'd give us so many if they didn't think we would need them.

19. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

May 21, 2009

wow, 20 is a lot. We get ten all together, 8 sick and 2 personal.

20. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 21, 2009

We don't get personal days--I need to use sick days for personal and family illness, appointments, etc. Usually once a year I take a day to rest and take care of myself.

21. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

May 21, 2009

We get 15 sick days a year, two personal days, and an "emergency" day that can be used for when your water heater blows up or when you get 4.5 feet of water in your basement during a freak storm (like I did in September). My sick days accumulate, and since my husband works from home and it's been a while since I've taken a maternity leave, I have a bunch. I DO take a mental health day when I feel overwhelmed by life. I am not a good teacher if I am crabby and obnoxious at school. I stay home, sleep, and read and go back to school the next day feeling much better.