Sick Bank Procedure?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pi-R-Squared, Mar 21, 2021.

1. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

Mar 21, 2021

For those who have used sick bank days, how does it work for I may need to use some if my recovery time takes longer. Presently, I have 5 sick days deposited and can borrow up to 10. Let’s say I use up all my sick and personal days. If I continue to be out, will CO just automatically use my banked days and borrow if necessary or must I tell CO that I want to do this?

3. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Mar 24, 2021

I'm guessing you would want to spell it out, to make sure no mistakes are made.
    Sick day bank probably (guessing here) vary from district to district. This is something to check with your district about, and if you are union, also check with union. And, if you can, contact other teachers in your district who have done this.
    Heal well!

4. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Mar 24, 2021

Also, you might want to check with Doc and your district if you are eligible for family medical leave, or any other type of medical leave that might be available to you. If your doctor works with other teachers in your district, they might be a good source of info. ...?

5. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Mar 24, 2021

We have no bank. If we go past our allotted sick days, our paycheck is deducted. We don’t get many, either. I had the flu a few years back and nearly went through all of my days for that. Definitely check with your district.

6. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Mar 25, 2021

Sick bank policies tend to vary by district. Most require a particular reason for needing to access the bank, and most require documentation following particular procedures. It's unlikely that your district will automatically apply sick bank days without you sending in documentation.

otterpop likes this.
  7. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Mar 25, 2021

You should definitely contact them and see what the policy is. I'd do it ASAP so you're not thinking your eligible when in fact there may be restrictions saying you're not. I can't imagine any scenario where they just start taking from the sick leave bank without you doing anything.

8. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Apr 4, 2021

My district just started a bank this year. We are informed when contributions are needed. Most people have enough of their own sick days saved. When I was out last year, I used 6 weeks of my own days, and then long-term disability kicked in. You might want to check on that also.

9. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

Apr 4, 2021

UPDATE: I emailed payroll and she told me that I’m not being charged sick / personal days because I was injured after leaving a school event that I was involved in.

creativemonster and MrTempest like this.
  10. MrTempest

MrTempest Companion

Apr 9, 2021

Nice... I mean, nice about the sick leave, not nice about the injury