Sick and Vacation days

Discussion in 'General Education' started by oppa637, Jun 18, 2011.

1. oppa637

oppa637 Rookie

Jun 18, 2011

I was just curious, as these accumulate, if i choose to resign, will I be paid for these? Or terminated, or just not renew my contract if it makes a difference? I'm wondering if I should use them up or if I get paid for them eventually (before retirement) in lieu of me resigning. I'd like to go to school full time again so it'd be a good chunk of change!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2011

Ours got rolled over into a bank of days that we can use to move our retirement time forward.

4. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jun 18, 2011

Depends on your contract. In my district, you don't get paid for sick days if you resign. I think only after a certain number of years but not for those under 10 years of teaching.

This is the reason many principals wait until the end of the year to notify teachers when they are laid off because then teachers can't use all of their sick days.

5. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 18, 2011

Mine always rolled over & if we went over a certain number they were paid back to us. If we left that time was paid back to us.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2011

It depends on you district.

In my district, sick days roll over, but personal days do not. We don't get "vacation" days.

You are allowed to "swap" a certain number of sick days for being able to retire a year early.

7. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jun 18, 2011

In my district we get sick days that roll over from year to year. I have accumulated 68 six days. I am not sick too often. Personal days roll over, but you can only have a certain number of days accumulated in a year otherwise you lose them.

8. kimberlyalice

kimberlyalice Rookie

Jun 19, 2011

At our school, you use them or lose them at the end of each year. If they rolled over, I'd have 30 or so days accumulated. I find it's more work preparing and being absent!

9. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 19, 2011

In my district resigning or laid off teachers don't get them, but if you get a job in another PA district you can usually get them rolled over to your new district. But if you never teach again you just lose them. Retiring teachers can cash them out but the rate is something like $50 per day so it's nothing massive.

10. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 19, 2011

Check with your district's policies. In my district, you only get paid for them at retirement, but they only pay 1/2 of a daily sub rate, which equals $25 a day.

11. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jun 20, 2011

Every district seems to be different. I have known teachers who got paid at the end of the year if they did not use days, only a portion of what the actual day is worth. Some school districts let the days roll over. My district vacation/sick days are all the same it does not make a difference. We are also allowed to accumulate them, I believe we only get recouped for the days we don't use if we retire (I believe must be at the 20 year mark) and have days left over. At this point I have built up around 30 days. I gain more than I use each year, but I believe I need to start using more since I will never hit that 20 year mark and get it all back.

12. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jun 20, 2011

Our sick days roll over. We are paid for them when we retire, but don't know how much. We get 2 personal days/year. They roll over too, but you can only carry a max of 6. We can use sick days if immediate family members are sick and need to get to a dr. or need to be stayed with.

13. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jun 20, 2011

We do not have to disclose what our days are for. They are ours to use as we see fit.