Sick already :(

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Mr.history, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Sep 1, 2015

So this is only my 3rd year teaching but I have managed to get sick at least once each year. This year it was only 2 weeks in! Went to urgent care and was told I had bronchitis and ear infection. Was given lots of medicine and told to stay home tomorrow. I thought about going anyway because I didn't feel so terrible but now its 4AM and I cant sleep and I ache all over. So glad I got a sub.

I hope this doesn't set a trend for the year. I'm not really out much (about 2 days a year) but I feel mega guilty for missing already. I know this sounds odd but it did make me feel better to see 2 other teachers at the doctor I was at with about the same thing. At least I wont be the only one calling in already.

I guess there will be lots of hand sanitizer in my future. Although I already compulsively wash my hands during the day.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2015

Nothing quite like back-to-school germs! I'm glad you are taking care of yourself--feel better soon!

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2015

Feel better soon! Take care of yourself now so it doesn't get worse!

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 1, 2015

My first year teaching, I got strep throat the 2nd week of school. That was (by far) one of the worst bouts of strep I've ever had.

I got my tonsils removed 5 years ago and it was the best decision I could've ever made for myself.

In order to stay healthy, I drink a TON of water (like 6-7 bottles each day). I wash my hands before eating and try to exercise daily. I get a flu shot each year, too.

Anyway, I'm glad you're staying home. Take care of yourself!

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 1, 2015

Definitely rest & don't try to push it.

It was pretty much guaranteed that I got sick around Sept/Oct, but if I recall, the last yr or two I taught, well esp the last year, I didn't get sick. It must have had something to do w/ my working w/ older (HS) kids that yr, so they weren't sniffling & coughing all over & if they did, they knew to cover their mouths. Also, I didn't have to sit in such close proximity w/ them & I was in a very lg rm that yr w/ 2 doors open for ventilation. All that helped, I know.

There was 1 kid I wa sworried about getting sick from though. He'd cough w/ his mouth open at unpredictable times & I was worried I'd get sick, but surprisingly, I didn't.

7. 4815162342

4815162342 Companion

Sep 1, 2015

I got sick too, I feel your pain.
    Drink oj and water! And lysol your class... a lot! I think I will buy a can just for my room.

8. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Sep 2, 2015

I am sick as well. I really hate being out! But I stayed home for a second day on my doctor's recommendation. I am so glad that I did. I would have been useless today.

9. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Sep 2, 2015

Thanks for all the well wishes. My day off was spent sleeping and taking the meds the doctor gave me. Good news is that I felt good enough today to go back so I only had to miss one day. My ear feels a million times better and my head is finally cleared up. Biggest problem now is that I still look terrible around my nose/mouth area and today was picture day.

I'm sure I'll feel even better by the weekend so at least my long weekend wasn't ruined. (Yay labor day) I hope everyone else who isn't feeling well makes a quick recovery too!

10. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Sep 3, 2015

My first year I was always sick, and of course it always seemed to hit the worst just before or during breaks. I spent Christmas on the couch miserable that year. Another year I came down with bronchitis one month and pneumonia the next. Don't mess around with those boogers. They are nasty and will take you down for a long time if you don't get antibiotics pronto. Rest up and take care of yourself.