Sick already!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ima Teacher, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 24, 2013

We've been back in school for three weeks, and everybody is already getting sick. We have had kids with pink eye, stomach bugs, strep, ear infections, and awful allergies.

Over half the teachers are all sneezing, coughing, and stuffed up.

I went to the clinic today for sinus issues, and left with a diagnosis of a sinus infection, pink eye, and a urinary tract infection.

The beginning of school has been hard on us!

3. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Aug 24, 2013

:( So sorry!

4. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Aug 24, 2013

I saw your post on Facebook and was wondering how long do I have. We have been in school for 7 days and kids are already getting sick--2 were hospitalized for dehydration. Hope this is not going to become a trend.

5. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 24, 2013

I've been saddled with head/chest cold since the first day of school, 3 weeks ago! I'm SO over being sick!!

6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2013

Oh my goodness! What a horrible way to start off the new school year. Get some rest and get better soon!

7. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 24, 2013

Me too! Well, actually I'm all better now, but I was sick by day 7 of the new school year. This and this helped me to get better in just a matter of days. Highly recommend both! I usually take the Emergen-C as a precautionary measure, but I didn't expect viruses to be spreading so early in the year. Now, I've stopped taking the zinc, but I'm still drinking my daily dose of Emergen-C! Guess I'll be doing so now until late spring.

8. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Aug 24, 2013

Me, too! I started feeling crappy Wednesday, but thought it was just the "middle of the week first full week with kids" blahs. I woke up coughing and stuffed up Thursday and felt like poop the rest of the week. I've done absolutely nothing today. :blush:

Hope we all feel better soon!

9. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 24, 2013

Oh no--feel better! My sinuses have been killing me this week, so I feel your pain!

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 25, 2013

Oh no! Normally, I'd be sick within the first month or two of returning to work, but since I'm working with many less who are older & don't seem to be sick, maybe I won't get sick for a long time anyway!

Feel better!

11. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Aug 25, 2013

Feel better, Ima.

Everyone has been sick here, too! I was diagnosed with bronchitis the first Friday night after school started. I have asthma (mild) but the chest cold drove it crazy. I ended up missing 2 days the following week, and now I'm finishing up a 7-day course of prednisone. Seems like everyone at school has been coughing or sneezing at some point over the last couple of weeks.

12. Rbart

Rbart Companion

Aug 25, 2013

As someone who is just starting my first real teaching job i was wondering DOES airborne and emergen C work? Last year as LTS I was sick every other week. My husband was making me feel worse by saying he didn't think getting sick like I had been was normal and it was giving me a complex lol.

My allergies right now are horrible and I'm scared starting with allergies and a tight chest due to the drip will be bad. If I take a airborne or emergen c now will it help??? I take a multivitamin and vitamin d daily but anything extra would be great.

13. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 25, 2013

YES! Take Emergen-C every single morning. I didn't start until I was sick for what seemed like the millionth time last year. I was in a meeting with another teacher, and she mentioned that she started taking Emergen-C every day and hadn't been sick since then. I started taking it too, and I wasn't sick for the rest of the year. Then summer break came, I stopped taking it, and wouldn't you know it... I caught a virus on the airplane on my way to vacationing in Europe. After getting sick again last week, I started taking it again, and I'm now feeling much, much better! Seriously, you should take it.

14. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 25, 2013

Check with your doctor before taking supplements!

I tried Emergen-C and ended up in the ER with kidney stones caused by too much Vitamin C.

15. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 25, 2013

Allergies have been awful here, too. I spent one morning this past week sneezing for about two hours straight--I was actually starting to get really worried! My kiddos even asked if I was okay.

Two weeks in and we've had kids out with a fever that lingers for a couple days or a short-lived stomach bug...

16. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Aug 25, 2013

Oh no! I don't look forward to going back to that. I hope that you and your school feel much better soon. Maybe you guys are just getting all of the sickness over with from the start .

17. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 25, 2013

Yuck! I noticed a big improvement when I started taking extra vitamin c and b complex. Hope you all start feeling better soon.

18. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Aug 25, 2013

Airborne has been proven not to work and i think they had to pay a settlement for falso advertising. But sometimes the placebo effects can do wonders.

I hope everyone feels better soon! I am also sick and have been miserable. It doesn't help that our classrooms are so darn hot!

19. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2013

I really think that a daily multivitamin and healthy food choices are at least as effective, if not more effective, than Airborne and Emergen-C. Those products can get really expensive, too, whereas a multivitamin usually doesn't cost all that much.

I take two multis per day on the advice of my doctor. In the morning it's a Flintstone, and in the evening it's a gummy adult vitamin. For me this is usually enough to keep me healthy, along with healthy habits like frequent hand-washing and whatnot. I don't get many colds or little things like that.

Some ailments are just about impossible to avoid. I got very sick last year with pinkeye and a terrible, terrible flu-or-something that lasted weeks. I don't think there was anything I could have done differently to avoid either of those, particularly in a school setting around so many sick kids. The most I could do was stay home and avoid infecting anyone else, which I did.

20. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2013

I'd recommend lots of orange juice and a neti pot (not together, though).

21. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Aug 25, 2013

Count me in the sick crowd as well. Two weeks into school and I am sick with a cold already. Boo! Hiss!

And my kids sanitize the room daily as pack up routine. :(

My secret weapons of choice are vitamin c, echinacea tea, and pro-biotics.