Sick Already!

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Amanda, Aug 29, 2002.

1. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Aug 29, 2002

I guess this is what I get for teaching kindergarten...

It's only the 8th day of school and I am already sick!!! I have had four kids in my class home with a fever this week. I know it would be traumatic to have a sub this early (for me and the kids) so I'm going to try to make it through tomorrow and get rested up over the 3 day weekend. (Thankfully I don't have the fever part, just a sinus congestion/cough like I get about 5 times a year.)

I hope this isn't a sign of things to come. I usually don't get sick the first time until at least Parent-Teacher conference time at the end of October!!

We've faithfully been using our hand sanitizer, too! :(

3. Shawnmarie

Shawnmarie Rookie

Aug 30, 2002

Oh Amanda! Poor you! I hate getting sick from the little ones. I hope you feel better very soon!!!!! Last year when I was on disability was the very first year that I wasn't sick at all, and I thought we were supposed to build up tolerances, lol.

Good luck getting through the day, and rest up this weekend!

Hugs, Shawn

4. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 30, 2002

Tell me about it! knock on woord, I haven't gotten sick YET, but give it time and I will. I always do... sinus infection that leads to bronchitus (sp?). It never fails. So, Amanda, I know EXACTLY what you are going through. Last year I went about once a month (one month I went twice) to the doctors for that mess. It didn't get better til about May... then school was out. Go figure!
    If parents would not send yucky nosed kids that can barely function during the day because they are so sick, it would help. We wouldn't get as sick and then we would be at school more. I go to school sick. I figure, the kids gave it to me, I'll give it right back. All the Lysol and Clorox in the world won't stop it. :)

Hope you get to feeling better!

Lori

5. Amanda

Aug 30, 2002

I made it through the day! Luckily I was able to save my voice for a big part of the day... we had a ribbon cutting ceremony for our new playground equipment this morning and I planned a lot of hands-on activities for the rest of the day. Okay... I did put in a video this morning, too, but it fit right in with what we were learning. :) Whenever I asked the kids to help, they tried to be good, so that was nice. I have a lot of sweet kids this year, but they're quite an active bunch... 13 boys and 7 girls. :eek:

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Sep 5, 2002

I have been working with kids for five years and I always manage to get sick. But I think if the parents would keep their sick kids at home then it would keep everyone else from geting sick.

7. Elsy

Elsy Guest

Sep 13, 2002

I must write and tell you as a parent I completly agree with you because it is not just you getting sick it is the other children in the class. If that first parent with the sick child would just keep their child home it would save not only the teacher but other children. When my son was in school ( homeschooled now) I volunteered as the school nurse. I could write a book right now on the number of children that came to school sick and I am sure so could all of you!

8. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 14, 2002

I was so lucky last year. I had A parent... just ONE... that went to the extreme when her daughter was sick. She would take her to the doctor and she would keep her at home until whatever medicine he/she prescribed was completely taken. SO if she had a 5 day dose of an antibiotic, she stayed home those 5 days.

What I hate is when the parent tells you... Oh little Johnny had an upset stomach last night (either BAD BM or upchucking) but he seems fine this morning so I sent him on to school. WELL GUESS WHAT... he wasn't fine.

Our secretary we had last year had a great rule for her kids. I think she actually listened to the doctor or someone. If her child runs a fever, she will keep him at home until he is fever free for 24 hours.

And I tell you one thing... most of the kids that come sick do come to school because the parents don't want to mess with it. I know at my school (special education center) the kids that are the biggest handful are rarely out... they are the ones that come to sick with every ailment possible.

SO, keep those tissues handy and the germ-x by your side.

Until next time...
    Lori (sniffle...sniffle)

9. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

Sep 14, 2002

Yes- my biggest behavior problem child came in every day for two weeks last year with the measles!! (Long story....) Never missed a day. It is county wide policy in my area that after vomiting or fever, all children must stay home for 24 hours. That means if she pukes at noon in your class on Monday, she's gotta go home and can't come back until Wednesday (we rarely accept students who come in after noon as they are too tardy). My students' parents listen fairly well to this because I tell them, "If you send your child to school sick at 7:30, I will be calling you at 8:00 to get off work and come pick them up!". Sick children left at school repeatedly can be turned over to child protection services. This is a serious issue.

10. hillsidefogo

hillsidefogo Companion

Sep 14, 2002

Last week I first discovered this forum and felt so at home when reading about being sick after only 8 days of school. Now I have taught 8 days and I too am sick, after picking up a cold bug from either of the 6-8 sick children in my Kindergarten class. I wish we had a 'sick children policy'. But It does comfort me to know I'm not suffering alone!!! sorry!

11. bobuttons

bobuttons Guest

Sep 14, 2002

Sick already?

Yes, it is definitely true that teachers of young children will be sick much more often than those of older children and those that do not work with children at all.... HOWEVER>>>>> something we've also discovered........ Have you ever had the inside air quality of your building tested? Yes, I know "mold" and all air quality is all the rage in the media, etc now. BUT about 10 years ago another teacher and myself were odd men out and troublemakers when we had the air quality tested not only for ourselves but because our own children were getting sick so often and just during school times. Turns out there were severe problems even back then before anyone had really heard of indoor air quality. (We didn't call it that.. just knew something was wrong.) Problem back then was OSHA couldn't go into public bldgs and we ended up with State Health Dept which could only test and report not make sure anything was done. Now, I think maybe OSHA can go in and test. I'm not suggesting you start this but do realize it can not only cause you and your allergies to act up (leading to infections...) but the kids you teach as well. (One thing the test discovered back then was the extremely high amount of carbon dioxide. Not monoxide thank goodness but makes eyes hurt, tiredness, etc.) This past summer the AC unit for my room and my partner's went off and upon our return there was mold growing on everything.. and guess who they made clean it all up?
    You can imagine how long it took to clean each and every manipulative, book etc in our Kinder rooms! We did the best we could. We're documenting tho cause as soon as we finished and school started we both got sick with same symptoms at same time and it took anitibiotics and lots of time to recuperate. BEWARE tho that districts don't like you to make waves... but you already knew that didn't you? Wishing you all good health so you can enjoy your job and feel up to doing all that you want to do with your class!

12. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Sep 15, 2002

our county health department requires the 24 hour rule. the preschool i used to work at made each parent read thru the pamphlet from the state/or county and its attached in the child's records. As for the mold. Search the net for broward county new schools mold. Because of the rain, the new construction being done in the summer, created mold in new buildings! I was suppeonaed for the county against one of my students who was suing because of exposure to environment. Another allergen you may not realize is occuring is cockaroach feces. Mildew, Mold, moisture,and what they wont 'bomb' with REAL working stuff is COCKAROACHes. ONe last word of thought: Just as you are getting over your first batch of illness, you have been exposed to your second illness!

13. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 15, 2002

We used to have a sick kid policy, before I got there. The principal didn't want the sick kids there and made the parents sign a form about keeping them home with fevers and upchucking, etc. Our principal now doesn't inforce it. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I just call as soon as one upchucks or has a fever or has an uncontrolable messy BM (and we all know what I'm talking about). I call every number on the emergency list until I get someone.

STOCK UP ON VITAMINS!

Lori

14. Guest

Guest Guest

Sep 15, 2002

I teach first grade, and I always catch their germs, but don't take this wrong way, but I am glad to hear someone else is sick too. I Started on Friday with severe congestion and a cough and like you I usually don't get sick until the end of October or sometime in November. I thought that was really odd, and I have been complaining to all my collegues. Now to hear someone else is sick too, it makes feel a little better. I just took the weekend to catch up on a lot of sleep, drank lots of fluids, and now it is Sunday night and I feel a lot better then I did on Friday. I hope you feel better soon too!

Karen

15. Guest

Guest Guest

Sep 27, 2002

we have the 24 hour rule too, (all of GA does) but we still have parents that try to get around it. Last year we had a child puke as soon as the mom left... he seid he had been throwing up all night. She then had the nerve to scream about us interupting her at work when her child "spits-up" (he is 4 yr old) and demanded we pay her for the time she was missing at work! the child was back the next day 24 hrs to the minute that he was sent home.
    the sad thing is we have alot of parents like this that think parenting is a hobbie and when ever it isn't convenient... they can had it over to teachers like us.
    my soap box
    meshell

16. diggerdeb

diggerdeb Comrade

Sep 28, 2002

Well, here I sit with the same sore throat that everyone is talking about. In addition to being sick, I had three students sent home for LICE!!!!!!!!
    I can only pray that that stays away from me and the other children.:(

17. Shawnmarie

Shawnmarie Rookie

Sep 28, 2002

Oh no! Lice is the worst! I have had it happen twice in my PreK classroom. The first time the entire class got it except for 1 child, and that child kept coming to school. Here we were, one kid, 2 teachers, lol. Then the last time, I had to bag everything up, my room was a mess. Luckily only a handful got it, but I am so fearful of lice, I don't know why. Hope you feel better :)

18. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 28, 2002

KNOCK ON WOOD... my students' hair have been critter free. Last year and the year before I had the same student that got them CONSTANTLY. We checked every other Friday. She got them so often, we checked her daily. She was a child that we had to have a LOT of close contact with due to her tantrums and pulling teeth to get her to take a nap in the afternoon. The school nurse couldn't get her still enough to check well (ever tried checking the fur on TAZ while he is spinning like a tornado?) and let some slip by one morning on a recheck. I got her down later that day when I got a chance and THERE THEY WERE! And I had been rocking her! I had a sweater cardigan on so I jerked that thing off and threw it in the dryer down the hall on HIGH HEAT. Luckily I never got them from her... honestly, I don't see how I was so lucky. Her mom tried to blame it on someone else giving them to her... no one else in the room ever got them... the other kids stayed away from her because she was so mean to them.

So, which is worse? I say LICE! I'd rather have a cold any day... spray Lysol to get rid of that... BAG YOUR WHOLE HOUSE and CLASSROOM and DEBUG it to get rid of the lice... YUCK!

SO... everyone start wearing masks and shower caps... LOL! Oh and don't forget the rubber gloves to keep from having to touch runny noses. We should get doctor's pay since we really need to dress like them just to make it through the day... LOL!

Lori

19. Guest

Guest Guest

Sep 30, 2002

sick again

I too have been sick already. I have worked in th same school district for the last 5 years. We know that there are pollutants in our district, but the administration just does not want to hear it!
    I have had the same ailments usualy every Oct/Apr. The last 2 years it has hit me as early as Sept 16.
    I had blood work done and nothing showed. Now I have to go to an allergist. I am really getting sick of spending $ on Dr. bills.
    thanks for letting me vent, no pun intended!
    Janet

20. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Oct 1, 2002

Ringworm is just as bad as lice!

21. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Oct 1, 2002

ok i can drum up the worse case scenario...
    a teacher with a cold, conjunctivitis, ear infection, root canal, pneumonia, period cramping, or PMS, and yeast infection. then give her kiddies.... oh boy dont forget the ring worms and hoof and mouth disease! then give her shingles on top of all that on a nerve that runs from nip all the way around to her back. OUCH.

Not me, i am well.... thank you god! :)ruth

22. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Oct 1, 2002

dont forget the diareha

23. Amanda

Oct 1, 2002

I get conjuctivitis every year.... around March or April. It never fails.

24. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 1, 2002

Mommaruthie,

You forgot food poisoning from the lunchroom food... LOL. :eek:

I think I'm allergic to school... or kids one. Any cure for that?

Lori

25. Guest

Guest Guest

Oct 2, 2002

After reading a few letters I feel depressed. I know it's true when school is back in session so are the germs. I have been a preschool teacher for several years and some are worse than others. I've had most of the illnesses described in the letters until last year. I started taking a vitamin supplement that has kept most of them at bay plus has given me energy to do my job (having fun with the kids) and plus end the day without that (run over by a mack truck feeling) I have been amazed at how much better I feel and a bonus I lost some weight too. Ms. Clydean

26. Guest

Guest Guest

Oct 8, 2002

I heard that the liquid sanitzer really doesn't work. Has anyone else heard that?

27. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Oct 8, 2002

I've heard (or read somewhere) just the opposite that hand sanitizer is better then soap & water, to the point that some hospitals are considering switching. If I remember right, part of the reasoning is that soap & water is drying to the hands, so people then use lotion which is not anitbacterial. Hand sanitizer doesn't dry out your hands. Even so, I'm using soap & running water!!

28. Margo

Margo Devotee

Oct 9, 2002

Now, I heard that hand sanitizers DO dry out your hands because of the high content of alcohol. Amazing how misinformation flows. I wonder which is the correct information here. I use hand sanitizer but then I try to use lotion to prevent drying them out.

29. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 9, 2002

I like the bath and body works anti bacterial lotion. I use it after I wash my hands because the anti-b soap is rather drying, too.

Purell hand sanitizer with aloe isn't as bad as germ-x on my hands but heaven help you if you have the slightest cut you didn't realize you had... BURNS LIKE THE DICKENS! :eek:

Lori

30. Amanda

Oct 9, 2002

Yes, I saw an article about hospitals actually switching to hand sanitizer because of its effectiveness at killing microbes. It takes 30 seconds to adequately clean hands with soap and water, and the problem was that people may not take enough time to get rid of all the germs.

As for the hand sanitizer, I am a faithful believer... I have used it with the kids every year I have taught, but more consitently the last 2 years. We have not seen a problem with dry hands. I'd say that Purell with Aloe is the most gentle that I have used, but Germ-X is cheaper and works great, too. I have very good attendance, and the gifted class even did a research project over several classes and attendance was considerably better during the hand sanitizer period.

There is other research that supports the effectiveness of hand sanitizer, but I know from experience that it decreases illness in my classroom.

31. Guest

Guest Guest

Oct 19, 2002

I'm a kindergarten teacher and I am incredibly tired of parents sending sick kids to school day after day, but better yet I love the parents that either 1)provide their own home phone number for the emergency contact or 2) give an emergency contact number that is the home phone of another family member works during the day too! We had one case of raging ringworm delivered to school at 8am. We discovered the ringworm during breakfast and yet could not get in touch with anyone on the child's emergency contact list...about 4 phone numbers. One was not even an active phone number! This child did not go home until 5pm...we're lucky we didn't have a huge ringworm outbreak! We have another child who comes to school sick (raging fever, cranky, sick to the stomach) repeatedly...we can tell the child is sick when she walks in the door. Unfortunately, we can never get the mother or another family member in to pick up the child for HOURS...sometimes it's lunchtime or nap before someone bothers to show up. I love my job, but taking time out to be a nurse really isn't part of the job. Plus, as our school has no director right now, it's up to the teacher to make the calls...when you have to call 87 family members and friends, it takes a lot of time out of your day.

32. Margo

Margo Devotee

Oct 20, 2002

We have a school nurse to do the calling around but it is pretty scary when you think about it. Not to say that ringworm isn't bad enough. But what if it was a real emergency, like a severe injury or something. Don't these parents realize that the emergency contact is someone they can depend on to be there in case of an EMERGENCY? I shutter to think when the time comes to try to get a hold of someone immediately.