Sick already- anyone else?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by trayums, Sep 8, 2008.

1. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2008

Ugh- I have a bad cold and probably a fever but just cannot comprehend taking a day off. Is anyone else sick already?

3. frogger

frogger Devotee

Sep 8, 2008

A few teachers at my school were out today - not sure if it is a cold or a flu bug or allergies here. About 1/2 of my class had the sniffles and looked drain - I have a weird throat thing going on - not quite sore but dry and I was exhausted this weekend.

4. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2008

Yep- that sounds like me too except now I have the cold. I was reading a story today and had to stop and get a drink because I couldn't stop coughing. BLAH!!!!!
    Glad I'm not alone!

5. mdith4him

mdith4him Companion

Sep 9, 2008

*raises hand*

Yes.

I started getting a scratchy throat feeling last Thursday night. Friday I just got feeling worse and worse. By Saturday I had a cough, stuffy nose, clogged up ears, and general achy feeling. Sunday I felt a bit better and I went in on Monday. Today I've only got about half a voice and I hope I don't loose more!

6. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Sep 9, 2008

I am. But the symptoms come and go. I had a headache for two days, then a runny nose, then a sore throat, then a cough. I'm okay handleing one symptom at a time.

7. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Sep 9, 2008

I felt myself getting a scratchy throat on Friday; by Saturday, it was horrific!!! I looked and saw that my throat was RED. I don't have health insurance, so I guzzled canned Coke all day Saturday & Sunday; by Sunday nite, I was feeling GREAT!! Yes, Coca Cola works wonders for sore throats! :D

8. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Sep 9, 2008

My room just makes me sick. I need to get the Health and Safety team in there. I think there is mold or something.

9. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Sep 9, 2008

I have already had strep throat this year. I thought it was a bad sinus infection and my doctor insisted on a strep test and sure enough he was correct.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 9, 2008

Not sick here...yet! Sore throats (& stomachaches) are THE WORST! Get well all!

11. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Sep 9, 2008

Yes many teachers and/or students are or have been out. I recomend a product called called Air Born. You can get it anywhere but some it is the off brand so its called something a little different. It is a big tablet that you but in water or other drink and it disolves and you drink it. The key is you have to take it when you think you are getting sick not when you already are. Get well soon!! I knock on wood hardly ever get sick.

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 9, 2008

13. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Sep 9, 2008

WOW! Going to buy some cans of Coke! Great tip. Thank you!!!!!!:spitwater::thumb:

14. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Sep 9, 2008

15. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Sep 9, 2008

I don't even drink Coke; don't care for it...but, when I get that horrible sore throat or scratchy throat, I drink up! Yes, use the cold canned Coke and when it goes down; try to let it reach the back of your throat. It really works for me! :)

16. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Sep 9, 2008

I'm sick too.

I wake up fine and then by the middle of the day I have a headache, sore throat, and shut down. I had to cancel tutoring today. Yes, tutoring already!!! errrrrr.

I knew there was a reason I drank Coke.

17. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Sep 9, 2008

I had a scratchy throat last Thurs. & Fri. A bunch of kids have been out already. Well, I was sick all weekend and was out on Monday for a trip to the doctor. Sinus infection (Yuck) I'm on an antibiotic and back to school on Tuesday. Even more kids are out! I didn't miss one day last year due to illness! :(

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 9, 2008

Here's a (not too tasty, yet very effective) remedy for sore throats. It's also good to do this at the very moment you feel one coming on. Gargle a few times or so w/ warm water, salt, & apple cider vinegar.

19. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Sep 9, 2008

It's fall allergy season for some of us. Unfortunately, mine went into a sinus infection that started heading into my chest. I hate having a stuffy nose!!!

20. 1stesl

1stesl Rookie

Sep 10, 2008

Just be careful if you gargle warm salt water. If you're sore throat is actually a case of strep throat, you could make it worse, which is what happened to me a couple of years ago! Trust me, it was no fun at all.

As far as allergies, I've been to an allergy doctor, and basically am allergic to so much that I suffer from year round allergies. Then same to get worse during the school year...I chalk it up to not being able to rest as much as I need to.

21. crayoncaper

crayoncaper Rookie

Sep 10, 2008

I actually stayed home sick today. I worried all day about the kids.

22. alpha112378

alpha112378 Rookie

Sep 10, 2008

Thought it was just me. I began my student teaching four weeks ago and I already have gotten a case of strep....hope it gets better soon.

23. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Sep 10, 2008

Is waterless hand sanitizer good to use?

24. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Sep 10, 2008

Good ole soap & water for me!

25. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Sep 10, 2008

I actually have had a headache and a little nauseous all day, but I have chalked it up to nerves because I cannot get sick!!

:whistle:

26. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Sep 12, 2008

I fell a little horse but I know I am not getting sick. I just may have a tickle in my throut for a few days!

27. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Sep 12, 2008

UGH! Totally suffering here....I have been so tired I fell asleep two day in a row during my planning period, good thing it is at the end of the day!

Started with a viral infection in my lungs, then it took advantage of my asthma and that flaired up really bad, I have been up several times a night with attacks. THEN......I got a yeast infection in my mouth from my asthma controller medicine. I don't know if anyone has had one, but shesh, it hurts!!!!!! Asthma sucks, so does the steriods I have to take to keep it under control, that is what did it to me........

I am going to bed to whine now.....

28. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Sep 12, 2008

I have been sick twice this year already and we started school August the 7th. I was throwing up sick. I had to take off. If you knew me I don't take off. I have almost all my days from last year. I am about the only one at my school with days left from last year. I hate missing I feel like I can not catch up.
    We have three district meetings this year and will have to miss for those it sucks. The kids I have we are tested March the 4th in Science and we have little time and this makes it worse.
    I take as many vitamins and drink juices and such. I make sure that I use germ X as much as possible opening doors for the next class period etc. I use germ X. The kids have already been sickly and I do not need to miss any more days. :(

29. Futon 5

Futon 5 Rookie

Sep 13, 2008

It is interesting, I am the sickest in the fall. Usually mid-September. NOt sure what to make of that. Allergies and building up immunity maybe???

30. ITeach4Him

ITeach4Him Comrade

Sep 13, 2008

This is me too. I'm even sitting here now with a headache. :dizzy: I think some of it is exhaustion too. Our immune systems get down. Guess I need to load up on the vitamins!

31. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Sep 13, 2008

I didn't check out the Airborne posts, but I can't stand the taste of it, so I use Zicam. It is the same idea- you use it when you feel like you are getting sick...and everytime I have actually followed the directions, I have kept the cold away. I hope everyone who is sick feels better soon!! I have a headache but (knocks on wood) that's all as of yet!

32. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 13, 2008

I work up this morning with a sore throat and a stuffy nose. :(
    I began using my Nasonex this morning as well (I haven't been using it since spring). Hopefully it wards it off! I have severe allergy issues and I haven't had a sinus infection yet this year (which is a record for me- LOVE Nasonex!).

I hate Airborne as well. Yucky. But I hate Zicam just as bad if not worse. I don't take medicine well. I never have. Even as an infant, I spit (spat?) it back out :lol:. I couldn't swallow a pill until I was in high school. I am fine with them now and the only way I will take medication is if it is in a pill form.
    I can't even eat a cough drop! Yuck!

33. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 13, 2008

It finally happened. I have a stuffy nose and sound like a frog. It took a month this year...not bad. Even at the college I was usually sick within 2 weeks of the term starting. Of course, it doesn't help that I smoke.

34. flesteach

flesteach Rookie

Sep 14, 2008

I am on my SECOND bad cold. ARGH!

I tried the Air Borne. The Wal-Mart brand is called Air Health. I guess I was too far gone cuz it is not helping much.

I need to buy stock in Halls cough drops!

35. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Sep 14, 2008

half of our toddler rooms are out sick last week. Now half of our teachers are fighting colds, sore throats, nausea and sinus problems. Some of it may be alergies and I really think some of it is because we all have our air conditioners in still but most are not u sing them so there is no fresh air coming into the building. I run my air conditioner every day --even if it's just ont he fan setting with the fresh air supply open---or I will run it on dry to get the dampness out of the air and oepn a window for fresh air--but msot of the teachers won't do that-- i open my window even in the middle of the winter for at least 15 minutes three times a day jsut to keep a good supply of clean fresh healthy air .

36. ValinFW

ValinFW Comrade

Sep 14, 2008

The achiness started yesterday. Today I developed a fever, too. Last time I checked, it was 100.1. I was out Friday for a workshop, and am NOT planning on missing tomorrow! It's harder to get ready for a sub than to just go in.

37. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Sep 14, 2008

Ugh!!! So sorry you are sick! Yuck. I totally agree. Planning for a sub is way harder than just going in and sucking it up... :( Hope you feel better ASAP!

38. UW_teacher

UW_teacher Rookie

Sep 14, 2008

REALLY sick already! I can't believe it! There is NO WAY I can take a sick day now--Grrr!!!

39. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Sep 14, 2008

I felt a tickle in my throat last night. It is sore today. I'm coming down with something. :(

40. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 14, 2008

I spent all day Saturday on the sofa. I messed around online some, and then I napped off and on. I ran a fever and was HOT all day long. Yuck! I felt better today.

I have really bad allergies, so the fall isn't a good time for me anyway. I'm kind of used to it.

41. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 14, 2008

I still feel crappy today.

What worries me the most is that on Tuesday, I have to administer an IQ test (stupid, but the district requires it). So, I HAVE to go to school that day or put the whole school in a huge bind. I refuse to do a half day because school is 35 miles away and gas is $4.60 here right now.

And, Wednesday is picture day. Lovely.