Shy & terrified to sing songs for children

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by wallflower501, Dec 5, 2010.

1. wallflower501

wallflower501 New Member

Dec 5, 2010

Hi, I've completed my diploma in Early childhood education in Singapore and conducted a few lessons such as English and mathematics with the K1 children during my practicum as a student-teacher. In a few weeks, I am going to work as a childcare teacher (for real) soon and I've been told that I'll teaching the nursery 2 children and that many of my lessons will incorporate songs into the curriculum. I know this may sound stupid but I never had any experience teaching children songs so I was wondering how do I go about doing so? Do I play the song first on the cd player for the nursery children to hear once and then play it again with me singing along the 2nd time? Then for the third time, do i play the song on the cd player and ask the children to song along?
    I really terrified that I'll sound awful, embarass myself and look stupid in front of the other teachers since I'm the only new teacher in the centre and don't know any of the other teachers. Although I'm shy, I am fine with conducting other lessons that don't involve music and movement as I feel that it does not require me to be 'goofy'.

Please, anyone, enlighten me on how to teach songs to nursery children.

3. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Dec 5, 2010

Being 'goofy' is a requirement when working with little ones.

For 2 year olds, I would suggest getting a puppet to use for music. The children will be so fascinated with the puppet singing that they'll barely notice you are there.

Don't so much worry about the children "learning the songs" or you "teaching the songs", but expose them to music as much as possible. Play music on the CD player. Give them music instruments to play. Sing songs with one or two children at a time, and then work your way up to singing with the whole group.

4. Securis

Securis Cohort

Dec 5, 2010

I guess to a degree but there are somethings I can't bring myself to do. Singing, really singing and dancing are things that I don't do. However, I do chants and my kiddies seem to love them, mostly because of the hand motions. Still, I think I meet the requirement for 'goofy' but with my on brand of dignity. There are options all along the continuum for one to find a comfort level with.

5. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Dec 5, 2010

I would put on a cd with songs on it that you know and sing it with the children.

I don't know about that. I think it's more important to be sincere and open with the children. How we are as teachers of young children sets the tone of the classroom. If we are goofy, then they will be goofy too. Is that really how you want your classroom to be?

6. Securis

Securis Cohort

Dec 5, 2010

I think we can easily define the OP's 'goofy' as fun-loving.

7. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Dec 5, 2010

Relax people. Stop taking yourselves so seriously.

I want a fun, relaxing atmosphere in my classroom. So, we get a little goofy sometimes.

8. RedVac

RedVac Rookie

Dec 5, 2010

The way that I teach music is to simply start singing. I always sing a song at least three times, more if they are really into it. Pick a song you are comfortable/familiar with. Sing, they will probably just listen, sing again, some may join parts if they know it and then sing again. Do not be worried at this age if they do not join in much. Choosing a song with simple actions will keep everyone involved. As far as goofy, just be yourself. We all have different personalities and if you are sincere and honest and be yourself kids will love you and you will feel better. If you try to be something you are not the kids will notice. Good luck!

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 5, 2010

Regardless of your actual singing abilities, kids think their teachers are good singers! They learn and remember through song- my third graders know the names of all 50 states, the continents and oceans, as well as the steps in the water cycle because of songs. I said one day "I'm not really a good singer, but the tune for this song is 'Clementine'", and one of my sweeties insisted that I was indeed a very good singer!:thumb:

10. txteach26

txteach26 Rookie

Dec 5, 2010

Goofy, or not goofy...let's call the whole thing off! Just be yourself!

As far as how to teach the songs, I am a terrible singer! So, after I make sure the door is shut ;) ... I break the song into small chunks, sing it once for them, have them sing it with me till most have it, sing it by themselves, then add more of the song and repeat. Good luck and have fun!

11. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 5, 2010

I am a terrible singer. I have a hearing problem, so I blame it on that. I do not connect to music like my peers do. To me, a song is just a song.

But, put me with a bunch of preschoolers, and I will sing loud and long.

12. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

Dec 5, 2010

I can not sing and have an awful voice. However, I sing for my 2nd graders and they don't complain. It also helps some of the quieter ones sing as well. I try to use songs as much as possible since they like it and it helps them remember things.
    Just relax and be yourself.

13. Tangerine

Tangerine Rookie

Dec 6, 2010

I hate the sound of my own voice, but I love to sing. If that makes any sense. I think, to young children, there are no "good" or "bad" singing voices, and the other teachers probably felt nervous when they first sang with the kids, too. It will get easier. :)

14. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Dec 6, 2010

I consider myself a fairly decent singer, but I have a 3-yr-old who insists it isn't "music time" unless we have CD's on... I usually sing along, and dance :) Most of what I do is movement songs or action songs... and I add motion in to familiar or traditional songs. Typically the kids start to imitate the actions first... then they'll start singing on choruses or repeated phrases.... kind of like when you listen to new songs on the radio, you probably find yourself singing along with parts of the chorus before you catch the verses :)

15. smpeterson77

smpeterson77 Rookie

Dec 6, 2010

When I first started working with kids, it was as a swim teacher. I had a few parent/child and toddler classes where singing was a part of the class. I was nervous at first, but I just went for it, and after I got through the initial discomfort, it got easier and even fun! Do you have a co worker who is more comfortable who can lead the songs a few times so you can experience it before doing it? I also recommend singing the songs yourself at home when you are alone to get used to them and the sound of your voice. Best of luck:)
    Samantha

16. teacherR

teacherR Companion

Dec 7, 2010

I just start by singing a song and the kids will join in eventually. I can sit and listen to a CD first it just doesnt work for me. Children dont care what you sound like. Song is one of the best ways to teach children things because they pick up tune and rythmn so easily. If you teach them through song they will remember. It just takes time but the more you practice singing with them the less nervous you become. I felt the same way when I began but then I realized that they just want to sing and be sung with and they do not judge.

I also agree that being a little goofy is part of the job.
    When I am willing to stand up and dance and act a fool they feel more comfortable with themselves and they will dance and sing too. Children are silly and there is something about being silly with them that is liberating. I think my children respond better to me as a teacher because I can get on their level. I also am consistently told what a calm and peaceful classroom I have so being goofy doesnt detour from good behavior.

17. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Dec 7, 2010

the first thing you need to do is stop thinking about it. Put the music in and let the kids dance to it. They'll start picking up the words as much as 2 year old vocabulary will allow them to and if you just simply say the words jsut before they get sung on the cd, the kids will pick them up better. Relax and enjoy watching the dancing of the children. Take them by the hands and swing their arms back and forth and encourge themt o particiapate--- that's all you need to do!

18. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Dec 25, 2010

Singing with preschoolers is a necessity! First off, it's one of Howard Gardner's multiple intelligences, so if you aren't doing music, some kids aren't learning as much as they could be. Second, I find it to relieve a lot of stress, for both me and the kids. Third, it's fun and helps you bond with your kids!

Kids do NOT care what you sound like! I think I remember being nervous at first too, but you just gotta consider it as something you have to do, not an option, and you'll be able to push yourself to do it. Once you see how positive the results are, you'll keep doing it.