Shut your mouths?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by ayotte04, Jul 25, 2007.

1. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 29, 2007

Irish: I LOVE that story. I am only sad that the teacher moved down to the more sensitive, most definitely more impressionable world of first graders. One can only hope that she softened her approach a bit to deal with the younger ones! (Firmness is desirable; authoritarianism is another story. It always makes me think the "authority" is a little on the insecure side and has to pick on the kids to feel in charge.)

2. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2007

Bad teacher alert!

Something I have done when a class is chatty and just won't respond to courteous requests:

I very calmly go over to the homework board and erase the word "odds" from the assignment. When they start to complain, I explain that their behavior is preventing me from getting through all the examples I need to in order to properly explain the concept. As a result, they'll need to do more problems at night.

It's NOT what they tell you in education classes. But it works.

3. wig

wig Devotee

Jul 29, 2007

Looks like there are several bad teachers on this thread. LOL

Truthfully, it is a logical consequence. The material needs to be covered. They can choose to cover the work in class or at home.

4. Terrence

Terrence Comrade

Jul 29, 2007

I have also done the adding more homework. I also, in the middle of a lesson, stopped, closed the book, told the class- "here is the assignment, good luck" and went to my desk. They looked at me like I was nuts! lol. It got them to stop though.

Irish, I can't believe that teacher sent the kid up to the office for throwing paper in the trash can. Now, I hate it when kids try to throw objects in the trash can from a distance, but I would never send them to the office. They would stay in at break, or a few minutes at lunch practicing how to put paper in the trash the right way.

I could imagine what she does with the first graders. The office is probably full of her kids every day.

5. Bakkin

Bakkin New Member

Jul 29, 2007

You waste my time, I will waste yours

Call me crazy, but I would just stand in the front of the class with my hands clasped in front of me. I wouldn't say a word.
    I would start the school year by explaining to them that if they wasted my time, I had many ways to waste theirs. I would prefer that we respected each other's time, but if that was not their choice, I would take their break time that was allowed to them at the end of the class. If that was not sufficient, I would add to their homework load.

It had a positive-peer-pressure effect. There were enough students that valued the break time at the end of class that they policed themselves after the first two offenses.

After that, if I became quiet at the front of the class, I could immediately see students encouraging one another to pay attention, stop talking, or whatever so that they could guard what they valued.

6. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2007

That is what I really hate. Now I am a 5'10" I am a large man and I can be as imposing as Michael Keaton is in "Mr. Mom" and with his Chainsaw! when I try statements like "Quiet please" with a controlled firm voice it is look on as a weakness by my macho Hispanic boys and the girls just follow the boys' lead. (for some reason "please" is seen as weak) but if my tone is a on the rude side. they listen! go figure!

I have used my Jewish grandmother guilt trip mode (I really had a Jewish grandmother) after hearing my Jewish grandmother do this to us kids, I can do it rather well! I get to the point where the kids will say "we're sorry" and will stop. I only do this once in a while. :toofunny:
    Again these are the abridged stories so I might have left some things out but the stories are true

7. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2007

I have used this also. This is one of the best ways. But I fold my arms like Mr. Clean, the body languge is unmistakable. the only problem is the time for full class compliance. this will happen a lot when you are answering one student's question the other students will think it is :party: talk time :party:

8. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2007

I have done this Too but I have a problem with giving a learning assignment as punishment. I still do it tho.
    I have done this Too I love the complice you get all of a sudden "out of the blue".:toofunny:

9. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2007

NOW that is great!!!!! I love ya! (don't tell your husband)

10. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 29, 2007

I use "That's enough" a lot.
    Also "You have work to do."
    When they are really loud, it's the whole class, or the other things don't work, I count backward from ten. It is amazing how many kids are quiet by 8!

11. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2007

To paraphrase PBS' the Red Green show's Man's prayer:

Teacher's prayer
    I am a teacher.....
    But I can change.....
    If I have too.....
    I guess.....​

http://www.redgreen.com/

12. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2007

To tell the truth she does very well with 1st graders because they do comply to rules better than savvy middle schoolers.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2007

:eek: :eek:

I think the reason it works so well is because I do it so calmly. It's not a screaming yelling scene; I just very quietly and calmly double their homework.

Having done it once, the next time I can just walk over to the end of the board where the homework is-- they quiet down before I finish my stroll:lol:

14. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 29, 2007

Ok, again on the "high jacked thread" courtesy Dave...I mean... God forbid a kid clean up after himself and not leave the room a mess. Goodness. shame on your son for being responsible. How dare he!
    :toofunny:

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2007

Actually, I can see the teacher's point about not throwing something from a few feet away.

But to give a referral is just stupid. A verbal reminder would have done the job just fine!! Talk about overkill!!!! And, of course, it totally weakened any pretense that teacher had about being in charge. She isn't in charge; those referral slips are.

It amazes me sometimes how quick some teachers are to give their authority away!

16. MrsCSoup

MrsCSoup Rookie

Jul 29, 2007

Quiet!!!

Well, usually I start with Quiet Please, then Hush! and if they continue to chat, I go to my desk, sit down, and wait. I don't normally have to go to my desk, but if I do, the talking stops immediately. I will then tell them that I don't want to be rude and interrupt their talking so whenever they are ready to learn, just let me know. Most of the time, the kiddos will say they are ready and we can get down to business.

17. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2007

That was one thing that I got a compliment from my now former Principal. I brought in a student that I had just "had it" with. my Principal said Mr. P "Never" writes referrals so when he does I listen!

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2007

That's the same reaction I get.

19. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2007

ahh Sarcasm I love it

20. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 29, 2007

oh no, dont misunderstand me Alice. I'm all about avoiding flying objects in my room. Literally people will get an eye poked out. I'm just talking about a stupid referral. I agree "overkill"

21. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 29, 2007

I teach 5th so I know the age difference can affect it. (I have to say I really admire those of you who teach Jr. High. Those little harmonal aliens are more than I want to deal with!) I usually get quiet when they get loud. When I've had loud classes I've kept a stop watch and any time I would stop for their noise I would start the timer. However much class time they took is how much fun time they lost. They also learn up front whining/complaining doesn't get them anything. (I talk about the difference in coming up to discuss something and complaining about it.) If they complain about an assignment, I add more. If they complain about losing fun time, I take more. Cause and effect, one of the first lessons we have.

22. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 29, 2007

I say that waste my time Ill waste yours all the time! I usually say that toward the end of class when things are really starting to get nuts, and they know that means the bell will ring, but I will be in front of the door waiting to follow the last instruction I gave them. :thumpsup:

23. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 29, 2007

Just remembered something my Kinder partner does...if they get disruptive when he is teaching or talking, he just starts talking v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y. . . . . When he has the kids' attention, he continues the slow voice and tells them "If I'm talking this slow, we may be late for recess...or snack..." or whatever it is they want to do. Very dramatic and to the point! :-D (Probably wouldn't work for middle school, but it's pretty funny to hear and watch!)

24. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Jul 29, 2007

I love that for my first graders! Its perfect for when the whole room is buzzing right before recess and I just can't give one child a consequence. Plus it's very kid oriented!! Love it :2up:

25. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2007

Teachers can hold a lot of power if they don't give it all away on little things. The deans at my school definitely go the extra mile for teachers who don't abuse the referral system on petty or non-habitual offenses.

26. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2007

And the kids notice too. They have absolutely no respect for those teachers whose classroom management is all about referrals. They'll push and push juuussssttt up to that point where the teacher is about to start writing.

27. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2007

I absolutely agree!

There's a teacher at my school who used referrals as her only means of classroom management. Her kids were a nightmare! Seriously, I'd walk past her room to get to my room and I'd see handfuls of kids being shipped out.

We shared several students, and she wrote referrals on nearly all of them. Some of those kids were my best students, in terms of academics and their willingness to cooperate and comply with my directives. I know that some kids can have completely different personalities with different teachers, but this was outrageous!

I know one of those kids was diagnosed with ADHD and had an IEP which stated that he may occasionally stand up from his seat and walk to the pencil sharpener, even if his pencil didn't need sharpening. Well, this teacher wrote him a referral for that! She herself told me that she didn't even give him a warning. I tactfully suggested that she might reconsider that sort of move in the future because I thought it was probably illegal to discipline someone for an identified special need.

28. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2007

I say "I have piles of hormones"

29. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 29, 2007

Oh Irishdave....so charming

30. Googs

Googs Rookie

Jul 29, 2007

I follow the same route as CanadianTeacher - nothing works better in classroom management than the "teacher stare". I will, on occasion, let "Shut up!" fly and then explain to them how sad it is that I had to speak to them that way. If you don't use it often, it really makes an impact when you do use it.

31. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2007

In the lower grades, teachers get written up if they say shut up to the kids. That's how it is here anyway. I'm not sure about the upper grades, but I recall my son told me that a teacher told him to shut up once and he replied that his parents don't even talk like that at home. That made an impact as then the teacher was the one hanging his head. There are better ways to talk to people and let's remember these are people, not dogs(I would never tell a dog to shut up either) just an example.

32. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2007

I tell my dog to shut up all the night long (like at 3:00 AM) she likes to tell the neighbors she is home.

33. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2007

Then take the poor dog in bed where she belongs.

34. amazngraece

amazngraece Rookie

Jul 29, 2007

I concur on the "shut...." comments, I don't feel comfortable with that.

During active K time (kids at different tasks, centers, etc. I do the "freeze please" thing, and redirect their activities.

During small group instruction when I am with a group and others are ot be working quietly, I put on classical music and say "Music on..." they whisper "Voices off.." If they get chatty while the music is on, I repeat, "music on.....". I has worked well in K, 1 and 2 so far!

35. amazngraece

amazngraece Rookie

Jul 29, 2007

DUH! I just saw this is the junior high forum, so sorry teachers!!!!

Guess my K tactics would not be useful in your scenario.....

36. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2007

Like I don't? right now it is just me and the dog
    wife is in Phoenix
    kids are in Ohio

I Talk to her about this barking problem all the time and she just looks at me with big puppy eyes

37. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2007

Try a sticker chart. She needs an incentive.
    I slept with my grandson last night and their BIG dog at the foot of the bed. I love it so much!

38. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 29, 2007

IrishDave-- Do you EVER get rattled?? :-J

39. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2007

Why should he? He's got all us gorgeous women to hang out with.

40. amazngraece

amazngraece Rookie

Jul 29, 2007

Dave, try telling her "ENOUGH", maybe her self esteem will be more intact and then she won't need to tell the neighbors she's home for validation!

btw all alone, I have some tedious K classroom prep I could use some help with! It's just a 4 hour drive!