Shut your mouths?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by ayotte04, Jul 25, 2007.

1. srh

srh Devotee

Aug 18, 2007

Mishmosh--I love that! I will use that in my Kinder class on Monday. (We started class on Thursday, and this year, it's the boys who are chatty!!) :-D

2. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Nov 24, 2007

This does work!

I do this, too. Maybe it's a guy thing?! I used it a lot with my first graders last year. My students called it my "turtle voice" because I would speak very slowly. It worked extremely well; students never want to be late for lunch, recess, or any other fun activity!

I agree that this wouldn't work in middle school. However, you'll never catch me stepping anywhere near middle schoolers! No way! :down:

3. KLily21

KLily21 Companion

Nov 25, 2007

I totally agree with you.

4. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Nov 25, 2007

I usually just say "Please" and they catch on. Talking is such a problem in my class this year that "Please's" Just don't cut it.

I know many of you are against the Harry Wong hand raising technique but I love it! Take 5 minutes and teach it to them, tell them it is NOT a "baby" thing that they use it in our workshops!

5. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Nov 28, 2007

It might not work with older age groups but with my younger ones I will start talking very softly and give a direction like "if you can hear me put your hand on your shoulder and stop talking" I'll repeat it as many times as I need to but the first time I start a timer or look at the clock. Then when I have everyone's attention I'll say "you've wasted x minutes talking so I get x minutes of your recess"

6. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Nov 28, 2007

This is funny :
    The other day I am teaching a lesson (8th grade math) and Mario is just talking out of turn not keeping quiet so I stop talking and I just wait in silence FOR silence, Mario takes some time to realize that I am waiting for him so another student says to him "Shut up Mario"
    I look at the student and tell her saying "shut up is rude we don't use shut up" at that time Mario decides to chime in and speak up, without a moment going by, I turn to him and say "shut up Mario" :eek: .........
    it then became a game he would start to talk out of turn and I'd say "no talking Mario" then every time he might say something or when I would end a sentience I would say "no talking Mario" while standing almost next to his desk.
    He got so frustrated, that I was not letting him say anything, I thought he might explode.
    as he left he said "say it again Mr. P" with a big smile on his face.

7. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Nov 28, 2007

Dave, imagine trying that one with Middleschoolers and high schoolers. Sadly yes, I have told my kids to shut up, but usually I just say thats enough, quiet please, or just stop my lesson.

8. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 29, 2007

My favorite catch phrase is "closing your mouth opens your minds". It took them a while to catch on, but it hushes them in about 2 seconds flat.

9. ValinFW

ValinFW Comrade

Nov 30, 2007

Ha! I did tell a class of 8th graders once that they had succeeded in wasting a full 20 minutes of class by talking. They responded with, "Cool! We're awesome!" They did not think thier consequences for that remark were awesome. ;)

10. ebrillblaiddes

ebrillblaiddes Companion

Nov 30, 2007

:D Ooooo...what did you do? I need a whole notebook of truly awful ideas, I think.

11. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Dec 1, 2007

I use "My turn", the first day in class I told each class that "I was a selfish teacher, when I'm up in front wanting to tell you, teach you something, I like all the attention on me." The kids laugh, but when I say "excuse me, my turn" and point/tap my chest most kids that are talking go "Oh, sorry." turn around and stop talking. :cool:

I have also recently started saying this "I'm going to keep talking, those that are listening will know what's going on, those that don't will miss out because I will NOT repeat what I'm saying" And I continue to talk, begin notes, lecture etc. They get quiet quicker than me taking time to go shh. shh. hush..boys quit talking.. It wastes time.

I tried the standing in front of the room no talking thing, doesn't work for my high schoolers..however, when I use to sub in elementary, it was FABULOUS!! Most talking ended in less than 5 minutes and the kids policed themselves. :2up:

Other phrases I use/have used:
    Be quiet
    This is not group work, hush.
    No talking
    Keep your mouths quiet/shut
    Stop talking
    Enough
    Hey, folks that's enough
    Boys and girls stop talking..:haha: (they hate being called boys and girls)
    I've even said CHILDREN! (high schoolers don't like that either haha)

I'm sure I've said more, but that's all I remember.

12. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Dec 1, 2007

I will say "all eyes on me"
    Or "Eyes on me, mouths closed"
    Or "It is all about ME now" this gets a groan but they do stop

13. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Dec 1, 2007

The kids certainly know it in my room, and it's effective!! How could anyone be against the Give Me Five technique? I honestly believe it doesn't demean any age- and it was originally used with sixth-graders...

14. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Dec 1, 2007

I insert kids' names in sentences while I talk, also. They look up like, "Ohhh, me!", like a deer caught in headlights. Yet they stop.

15. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Dec 1, 2007

Yes, they hear their names and the head pops, turns around and looks at right at the teacher.

I also have my most talkative student right in front of my desk. I feel proximity helps a lot. ;)

Where do you all seat your talkers?