Shut your mouths?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by ayotte04, Jul 25, 2007.

1. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

I try to be as no-nonsense as possible, and coming from a military background it's just second nature...

I would never say shut up to my class...but it's easy for me to say "shut it" or "shut your mouths"

it's kind of extreme and since this will be my first year....any comments? Does anyone else say this or use something similar?:confused:

3. Terrence

Terrence Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

I do, I may say be quiet, or quiet the first time, but after that I say "Shut your mouths" if they keep talking. I don't think it's extreme. Shut up is a but rude, but shut your mouth's isn't.

4. OtterMom

OtterMom Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

I say ZIP IT! :lol:

5. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

6. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

dont go to that link. i have no idea what it is. i was using Austin Powers there

7. Eliza

Eliza Companion

Jul 25, 2007

I couldn't resist. It's a dating website!:lol:

8. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

lol...i didnt want anyone getting spammed or a virus

9. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Jul 25, 2007

I say "no more words"

10. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Jul 26, 2007

I'm not a fan of "shut your mouths." To me, it has the same connotation as "shut up". I try not to use phrases that I wouldn't be happy about if one child said to another or said to me. I would not be pleased if a student said "shut your mouth" to me, or to another student. Its all about modeling.
    (Of course, some phrases and sayings will always be reserved for the teacher, but not because they aren't pleasant, simply because students are not the ones to be giving out those orders. )

Then the question is, well what do you say to kids when they just won't stop talking?? I like "no more words". It's another way of saying "please stop talking" without that negative connotation.
    But after a while rephrasing "please stop talking" in different ways with no change in behavior will get insanely frustrating.
    If please stop talking doesn't work, I go straight to "If you continue talking the consequence will be ...." And then you must follow through. I don't have patience, memory or stamina to keep nagging the same kids over and over, so I must must follow through.

11. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 26, 2007

I say close your mouth/mouthes, or be quiet. Shut up or shut your mouth is not allowed in the classroom. I agree that they both have negative connotations.

12. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2007

Saying "shut" anything is not ok. Imagine your child being told that or having to hear it.
    Better to never begin the habit in the first place. It would be to easy to let shut up slip.
    Just find what works for you.

13. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2007

I kinda like "shut your pie hole" :toofunny:
    What I do, is use the sign langauge for "be quite" (I believe that is what I am signing) I use the "look" too, I really have a mean look the kids say and the beg me not to use it. When trying to tell a student to not make nose I find it counterproductive raise my voice (that is the last resort).

As a joke I do have a roll of Duck tape (aka Duct Tape) on my desk since the kids know I will not use it, it works well as a visual aid, if I pick up the tape the kids know they are too loud and since it is funny to think that a teacher would use tape the kid(s) saves face and can laugh and then they quiet down.

ALso Duck tape is good to use around the class room. (men can fix anything with duck tape)

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2007

I would hate it if a teacher told me to shut up. That was one phrase which my parents never let us say.

I think 'Shut it!' is a lot less offensive, especially if it's done in a half-serious/half-joking tone. I still don't say it.

I say 'Tacite!' which is Latin for 'Be quiet!' It gets their attention because the pronunciation makes it sound like I'm telling them to talk.

When I feel like they aren't respecting the class rules and my instructions to keep the noise at a volume appropriate to our activity, I change the set up after they disregard my one and only warning. I will end the game that we're playing, separate them from their groups/pairs and make them work independently, change seats, or ship them out. Most of my students figured it out pretty quickly that I stick to my guns and the games WILL end if they don't hush up when I ask them to.

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2007

For me, it's "would you PLEASE be quiet!"
    or

"Enough!"

16. mrsmo

mrsmo Rookie

Jul 26, 2007

I say, "You may listen!"

17. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Jul 26, 2007

I say "Voices off!"

18. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2007

I stand there and wait for the kids to be quiet. I don't say anything. The kids know that time wasted waiting for them to be quiet will be made up at the end of class, which means they might be late to their next class. It's amazing how quickly they notice me standing there with my "evil eye" on the clock!

19. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 26, 2007

When I need their attention, I count down from 5 and by five they are quiet. If they are still a little whispery by 2, I'll say ears are open and mouths are closed in . .. 1.

My kids are horrible with the "shut up" - I tell them its like a swear word for me so I can't use anything close to it. Part of my teaching persona is part absent-minded professor, so I can often act a little confused (they know its a gag) - Did I mention we were working independently? and they get back on task. I'll say any number of things, but only once - there is nothing more ineffective than continuing to shhhhhh. Here are a few of mine:

"Independent work is work done by youself."
    "Writing is thinking - shhhhh"
    "Silence is the absence of noise"
    "Reading - its that thing we do with our eyes and not our mouths"
    "There is conversation" (this is said in a slightly confused voice)

20. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 26, 2007

"Enough!" is what I always use.

21. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 26, 2007

"Shut your mouth" is what I say when "Shut up" starts to slip out. "Enough" is what I try to use. or "Stop talking"

22. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Jul 26, 2007

I usually say, "The talking needs to stop!"

23. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Jul 26, 2007

I do the same thing. Even with 20+ Kindergarten students this works.

"Shut ___" fill in your own words is just yucky and rude in my opinion.

Kelly :)

24. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 26, 2007

Mine is, "All right, settle down!"

To me, "shut up," or any version of it, is very confrontational. With upper grades (middle school and above for sure), I try not to draw lines in the sand unless I absolutely have to.

25. ValinFW

ValinFW Comrade

Jul 26, 2007

"Zip it!"
    "Too loud..."
    "Listen and silent are spelled with the same letters."
    Or I just stand at the front of the room, looking back and forth between the kids and my watch.

26. teacheratheart

teacheratheart Companion

Jul 26, 2007

I used to stand in front not saying a word. I would look at my watch and for every 15 secs. they were talking I would put a line on the board. Each line was a minute lost of recess, free time, special whatever we had coming up.

But I also use "Zip It" or "That's Enough". Some students take it a step farther and used to say "zip it, lock it, put it in your pocket." I thought that was cute.

27. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Jul 26, 2007

I stand silent when I'm waiting to teach - they don't like my evil eye, so it usually works. When they are supposed to be working independently, I will just say "Be quiet please" or "Why am I hearing your voices?" The time wasted is made up on THEIR time. I think anything beginning with 'shut' is sounds vulgar and aversive and I avoid it.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2007
  28. misswhammy

misswhammy Rookie

Jul 26, 2007

Mine is "This does not require talking!"

(sigh) I get so tired of saying that.

29. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2007

I plan to set the rule for silence, whisper, indoor voices from day one and practice it many, many times!!
    I'm going to cut out a huge red=silence, yellow=whisper. green=indoor voices.
    I'm moving from middle down to 4th so I had to come up with something new. My coworkers use it and it works great. No need for the teacher to say a word.

30. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 26, 2007

I have a teacher friend who frequently says, "No, THANK you!" in response to any number of problems! It is so funny to see how it gets students' attention.

31. katrinkit

katrinkit Comrade

Jul 26, 2007

I have a rather rambunctious group, and I have found visual works for me. I raise my hand and count to five, if people are still talking, I write their names on the board - if they continue, a check goes by their names. I rarely have to ask. As soon as I start writing, they stop talking. I do work at a private Catholic school where parents come into my room after school - kids get in trouble if their names are on the board.

32. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 26, 2007

Looking back over this thread, I agree most with TulipsGirl's comment, "It's all about modeling." I would cringe to think my students would go home and use a "shut ___" phrase! Many families forbid that kind of outburst, and I tend to agree; I didn't let my kids say them either. (Not that they DIDN'T on occasion, but they learned to not say them around me or in public anyway!) It's so much more positive to say something you WANT them to do...and in a heated moment, you can still dramatize something nice, like Alice said: "PLEASE be quiet...." I think they get the point that way just fine. If not, the consequences have to come into play!

33. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Jul 26, 2007

This is along the same lines, so I will ask on this thread (more for middle school teachers specifically grade 7/8)....

At the younger grades, teachers have various things they will do...count, say something catchy, hand up, etc... To me, this seems kind of babyish for grade 7/8. What do you do? I'm not big on doing anything too radical or cutesy, just something simple that lets them know I would like their attention.

34. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2007

Never ever say, " Shut your mouth" or shut up to your students! We had a teacher say it the other day and pretty soon the kids were saying it to each other and the teacher. How do you feel is someone says it to you? Use your common sense. That's how rude and crude families talk to each other and I hope we are more educated and respectful than them! Before you say "anything" to your students, think how you would want someone to talk to you. I use, " Could we please be quiet now?" And I always add a "thank you, I appreciate your good manners.

35. jojo808

jojo808 Comrade

Jul 26, 2007

I agree! I wouldn't want anyone to tell me to "shut my mouth". I see it as bad as "shut up".

36. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 26, 2007

Sometimes I say, when I am speaking, you are listening.
    Or, it is too loud in here for brains to be working.
    Or, it's time to zip your lips.

37. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Jul 26, 2007

1) during bellwork or other writing activity "The only sound I want to hear is the sound of pens scratching on paper
    2) during lecture/discussion, etc. I just stop what I'm doing and give them the Queen Victoria look, "We are not amused." When one picks up on it, the others usually follow suit. This works pretty well for me, because the kids get on to the other kids and make them be quiet. That way, I'm not the bad guy. Downside is that it takes a couple of weeks of consistent behavior for it to work effectively.
    3) any other time I remind them that they will be loosing x amt of Preferred Activity Time (learning games), record it on the board as a deduction in terms of minutes. When the talking/off task behavior doesn't stop, they don't get to have fun any more that day.

I learned a long time ago that the less I say, the better it works. The Queen Victoria stare (totally unemotional) really shakes them up.

38. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2007

I seriously can't believe a teacher would even remotely think it's o.k. to say anything like that to their students.

39. BASAM

BASAM Comrade

Jul 27, 2007

One of the things that is discussed on the first day is the word "shut up" and I let them know that it is not allowed in my room, there are many polite ways to tell some one to stop talking. We have school wide voice levels so when I need their attention I just say zero voice if there is conversation.

40. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 27, 2007

I say "Enough" a lot. It is actually a command for my dog (to stop doing whatever she is doing), Then, when my dog does not come when called because she is chasing birds I have been known to yell "Pay attention!!" to her. My neighbor, a teacher too, must think I am nuts.

I slipped once and said, Shut your mouth. (More like, SHUT-YOUR-MOUTH) and it received an audible gasp. I think they still feel disrespected by the phrase. I would say it is not right.

41. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2007

I can be heard saying, " ALL RIGHT, THAT'S IT!" Dead silence.