Showing videos in class

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Miss J. Pre-K, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Nov 8, 2009

Just wanted to get a feeler out for how often you show (educational) videos in your pre-school classroom. We have to get the video approved a week in advance by our principal, and have to have viewed the video to be sure of content (duh, like I wouldn't anyway).

There are so many educational videos in my school library that I could be showing one about almost all the themes I teach. My kids are still talking about the one about real firefighters. They were impressed with how quickly they slid down the pole, how they got on their uniforms, how the fire dog went with them to the fire, etc. I think it's something that just reading books about the topic wouldn't have shown them. But I don't want to overload the kids with videos . . . how often do you show them?

3. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Nov 8, 2009

Never, but we are a two-hour/3-day preschool.

4. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Nov 8, 2009

I show 1 to 3 minute video segments (from United Streaming) almost weekly, but also have a half-day program. I also find the children are engaged and get more out of them than books alone.

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 8, 2009

very seldom

6. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Nov 8, 2009

I almost never show videos. Three things have to happen for us to show a video.

1. Short on staff
    2. Weather is too nasty to go outside
    3. We can't use the hallway for gross motor.

If all three of these factors happen on a given day, then I might consider a video.

7. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Nov 8, 2009

Practically never - they get enough screen time at home.

8. Whitchel

Whitchel Rookie

Nov 9, 2009

Well I'm probably the only one who uses the television...because I feel it is fine to watch educational videos, to enhance whatever theme we are talking about. The videos I show are usually a book on video, that I borrow from the library. I don't show one every day and usually once every two weeks or so. If we can't go outside for some reason, or if I have found a really good one, then we will watch it. They are usually no more than 30 minutes. I know that most kids get lots of t.v. time at home, but it usually isn't educational...and we watch it with them. They like it...and so do I.

9. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Nov 14, 2009

2-3 times a year