showering

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by JaimeMarie, Feb 28, 2007.

1. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 28, 2007

How do you tell a student that he needs to shower more than once a week because he smells horrible? Do I contact the mom and let her know? How do I do it with out pissing her off?

3. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Feb 28, 2007

Why don't you consult your school nurse? She may have some helpful suggestions, or maybe will take care of it for you!

4. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 28, 2007

Tell him/her. "It's important to shower and use deodorant at your age Johnny. Are you able to do that?"

5. srh

srh Devotee

Feb 28, 2007

As a first round of "offense," I think I'd tie it into a health lesson plan for the whole class, even if you don't have one on the agenda now. I've heard our 6-8 grade teachers talking about this very problem. It's gonna be really bad come warm weather!!!

6. mhcooley

mhcooley Companion

Feb 28, 2007

When my second graders come back from P.E. or recess, they are stinky. I gave a whole class speech about using deodorant. The one student that smells the worse told me that he uses deodorant. I wanted to say "Buy another brand." Anyway I told them ALL that it was important to take a bath EVERYDAY and to start wearing deodorant. Anytime my para comes into my room, she always says my room smells like body odor. I need to bring air freshener I guess.

7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Feb 28, 2007

I have a child from a family who "doesn't believe in bathing" according to the mother. Each time he comes in smelling like urine, he has to go to the office and call mom to come get him to get cleaned up. Usually she only brings different clothes so he still smells but not quite as strongly. They've been reported to cps due to the frequency of this problem but nothing has been done.

8. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 28, 2007

Mine is one of my older students. I can't consult the school nurse I don't have one. It's just me and my para. Principal once a week.
    Oh and my second grader is back to peeing his pants. Hmmm wondering why there seems to be a relation between school breaks and when he returns he wets his pants.

9. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 28, 2007

I did that on Monday to the whole class. Talked about how at their age they should take a shower every day.

10. ms.jansen

ms.jansen Companion

Feb 28, 2007

I had a 7th grade boy who needed to wear deodorant earlier this year so I mentioned it to his mom in an informal passing. I said something like, "Has he started wearing deodorant yet? I noticed that he sometimes has some body odor and I don't want him to be embarrassed about it." She was so grateful that I said something because even though he's been told to wear deodorant by her, he was still in the "forgetting" stage since it wasn't a habit yet. She took care of it right away and it hasn't been a problem since. I'm just lucky she is one of those very supportive moms - of the teachers AND her son!

But, my room still smells like 7th graders and gross food because we have lunch in our classrooms. The 8th graders HATE coming in after 7th grade classes all morning plus lunch! Air freshener only works for a few minutes. It is pretty gross. :confused:

11. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 28, 2007

I wonder why someone would say they don't believe in baths? Or were you being sarcastic? :p

12. grade1teacher

grade1teacher Companion

Feb 28, 2007

I once had a student (5th grade) in a very difficult family situation and her mother was not very careful about hygiene issues - to say the least. There was very strong body odor, I could even smell her feet with her shoes on. It was so very sad. She had no idea what people thought of this because her mother was the same way. It didnt help that the family's financial situation was very difficult. Torn socks, stained clothes (worn several days in a row) One of the aides (it was a resource room) volunteered to start a "girls only" type of club. When she explained it to the girls, she focused on feeling your very best. She made it really fun and gave out little bags with.... toothpaste, deoderant, body washes, pouf, shampoo, comb. Lots of fun girly stuff that her family just might not have in the house. It really helped, without embarrassing anyone. It would have been great if we could show her how to do laundry - who knows how often she gets clean clothes.

13. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Feb 28, 2007

My 4th graders really stink! Especially after PE and recess, but in general too ... some of them are pretty smelly. We also eat lunch in our classroom, and it's always the worst when we come in from recess after lunch, because it has been closed up while we were outside, with the smells of all the different foods they had in there, and then they come in all hot and sweaty! Yuck!! I try to keep the doors open as much as possible to air it out, but sometimes it is too cold or too hot, or we get a lot of people passing by, and are really close to the playground, so it gets really noisy in there with the doors open. It's something I'm constantly fighting!

14. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 28, 2007

At this one school district I was looking into, they actually had washing machines at the schools. They had somewhat of a high number of homeless kids and so they allowed those kids to wash their clothes. Too bad not ALL school districs do this.

15. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Feb 28, 2007

I was not being sarcastic. I was quoting the mother.

16. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Mar 1, 2007

Grammy Teacher, I almost always love to hear what you have to say, your advice is usually right on the mark!;)

But don't you think an eighth grade boy would be mortified if a female teacher brought this to his attention? Do you think perhaps it would be easier to hear coming from a male teacher? Or the school nurse?

17. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Mar 1, 2007

Second graders wearing deoderant?? Isn't that kind of young? I should think at that age, a daily bath would be enough.

18. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 1, 2007

Tbelle, I think you are right, a male teacher should do this, but I don't know if Jaime has a male teacher in her school.
    Here is what I think I would do. Gather together information and a small bag of supplies to send home with the kids. Make it a teachable moment for parents and the kids. Jaime teaches many ages, so she might consider this for the "older" ones since health is such an issue at this age. If that didn't work, I would get up close, like one on one with the children and I would remind them that they might want to use the items sent home. Sometimes people just have to be embarrassed or they won't get the point. It's for the child's own good.

19. Commartsy

Commartsy Companion

Mar 1, 2007

That's you!

We have a teacher on our hall who does this when she starts noticing the smell:

She tells all the students to raise their right hands, turn their heads, and sniff. Then she smiles and says, "That's you! It's getting time to remember to put on Deo for your B.O." The kids think it's funny, and it's a gentle reminder that doesn't point anyone out to the rest of the class.

20. Commartsy

Commartsy Companion

Mar 1, 2007

Mine had to take a daily bath and use deoderant (I was careful to choose one that was not an antiperspirant). The child could bring tears to your eyes by the end of the day! :eek:

21. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 1, 2007

Ok I talked to my principal. He said to email the mother. So I'll tell you what her reaction is when I hear back from her.

22. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 1, 2007

You don't understand I teach in a two room school house (kindergarten to 8th grade). I am the only teacher. I have a female aide.

23. misswhammy

misswhammy Rookie

Mar 1, 2007

That's funny! The use of humor is so effective!

24. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 1, 2007

I have the mom's response
    I know all about it. I have given him the same speech. Apparently it isn't getting through to him- for instance; I told him to take a shower last night. After a ton of hems and haws, he grabbed a change of clothes and headed upstairs and I assumed he took a shower. Surprise-he must not have.
    Got any devious ideas? he-he

What do you think, what should I do now?

25. Yen

Yen Rookie

Mar 1, 2007

I have a wonderful friend who works with teens in a recreation center. She always keeps a can of aerosol deodorant in a drawer. Whenever she had a child who just reeked something awful of B.O., she would pull them aside so as not to embarrass them, and just politely let them know that their odor wasn't pleasing, and then discreetly gave them the aerosol can so that they could apply deodorant in the restroom. It worked and the kids never seemed offended by it.

26. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 1, 2007

Ok this is what I did. I stuck a sticky note in his lap top. I said
    Jonny,
    You are smelling kind of stinky. Please take shower tonight using soap and shampoo.
    Thanks,
    Ms. B

27. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 1, 2007

I do that with my 4th and 6th grader. This one is past that stage. he is just plan gross. Greasy hair and dirty. He needs a bath/shower.

28. Yen

Yen Rookie

Mar 1, 2007

Well I'm hoping your note to him works. Sometimes kids just need the direct approach. :D

29. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 1, 2007

I wasn't paying attention when he opened his lap top because I was correcting tests. But he did get the note. I told his mom, She is going to let me know if he says anything when he gets home.

30. srh

srh Devotee

Mar 1, 2007

In high school, I worked part-time in a job with a girl I knew from school. She was actually FIRED from the job because of body odor. The sad thing was, she DID shower and use anti-perspirant, etc., but she had a metabolism issue that made her smell like strong onions/garlic--just like someone with old sweaty clothes smells like. It was sad; but she was extremely difficult to work next to. I am not sure what they gave her as a reason for being fired.

31. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Mar 1, 2007

Sorry, JaimeMarie. I did know about your unique school arrangement but forgot. I only paid attention the the "eighth grade" in the corner.:eek:

Bless you for all you have to deal with.

In most cases I agree with those who said to use the group reminder.

But it sounds like speaking with his mom was the way to go after all. I'm glad you worked it out. Now let's hope he pays attention.

32. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Mar 1, 2007

As I said before, I like the way you think!!:D

33. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 1, 2007

I'm in Florida. It can be 85 degrees out in February. You should smell these kids when they come in from lunch and the playground or from sports. A couple of teachers routinely have the kids wait in the hallway while they spray the room with Oust or something. Some also spray the kids' clothes with Renuzit or Febreze. This actually works the best.

34. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 1, 2007

NO thanks. I don't want to smell them. I smell theses ones when they come in from recess in 20 degree weather and they STINK!
    I can't wait to see what happens tomorrow (if he is showered or not). His hair has so much grease in it, it is stuck to his head and looks WET!