Show Us Your Classroom Photos!

Discussion in 'Classroom Photos' started by WindyCityGal606, Jul 16, 2007.

1. meridian

meridian Rookie

Jul 22, 2007

Oh my those would work well for me! We used an "Oops" book last year and I was responding in the "Classroom Management" thread that I wanted something simple. I could never remember who I gave a verbal warning to and who signed the book throughout the day, etc. If my team decides to do the oops book again, I may have to use that idea of keeping track with magnetic names!

2. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2007

Thank you for replying! I really was starting to think I was the only teacher in the WORLD with an older-style classroom...you know, wooden floors, big windows, built-in closets and shelves, and blackboards!!! I rather prefer the old style but do wish certain things were updated like all the asbestos REMOVED!! LOL!! SCARY!!:eek:

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2007

I've been having those dreams ALL summer long! Last night, I dreamt it was the first day of school and I had no desks for my kids (a dream I've had over and over again). I won't be able to get into my classroom until two days before school starts. They're remodeling our school and so not only do I have a new grade to set up, I have to unpack all of my junk, figure where to put them, organize my classroom, get desks, some BBs up...... :eek: I'm starting to pull my hair out!!!

4. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2007

Along the bad dreams lines, I had a dream that it was the first day of school and i STILL didn't know what grade I was teaching. (I"ll find out in August... yuck!) I kept wandering around trying to find a class without a teacher. And a classroom? I think we were outside. Eeeek! I want to be in my room too. :(

5. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2007

Wow- I thought I was the only one who felt like I don't have it all together.

Thanks for posting the link- I have those bookmarked to print out.

My school is from the 30's or 40's I think. I have 9 ft ceilings, and no built-ins at all. Wood floors would be neat I think!

6. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 22, 2007

Here are some photos of what my classroom looked like last year. I'm now in a different room and teaching 5th grade, so my setup is somewhat different, but not by much. As soon as I get pictures taken tomorrow, I'll be posting them on the site.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 22, 2007

What a beautiful room. It looks so organized!

8. Scout About

Scout About Rookie

Jul 22, 2007

Calalilys, your classroom is lovely. The bright colors and the obvious organization make for a great learning environment. I am looking forward to seeing pictures of this year's classroom!

9. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2007

Gopher, I love the pocket chart in your library ( I think that is where it was). The big one with the large pockets...I think you had books in them.....I have never seen that before...where did you get it?

10. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 22, 2007

JaimeMarie and Scout: I'm glad you guys liked my room! We're very limited on what we can/can't do with our rooms (no more than 50% of the walls can be covered, nothing can hang from the ceilings, no painting, etc.), so I try my best to make the room as inviting as I can.

11. Gopher4

Gopher4 Comrade

Jul 22, 2007

Thanks. It's great for displaying books or folders. It's probably a Carson Dellosa product. I think I did a pocket chart search on Amazon and found it.

12. Gopher4

Gopher4 Comrade

Jul 22, 2007

Calalilys, your room looks great. Very colorful and organized. Even with the restrictions you have, you did a great job. I love those colored wire cubes. I wish I had room for that many for my library. Very cool.

13. I_love_turtles

I_love_turtles Rookie

Jul 22, 2007

I've got you beat. We only had 1 school in our district when I came in 7 years ago. It was one of the first schools in the area (one of the buildings was built in 1900). Our last year there (4 years ago) the building was actually condemmed while we were still occupying it. We had crumbling foundations, asbestos and to use the wall sockets was to gamble on whether or not you were going to get shocked. The funniest part is that last year they made some modifications, updated some things and used the campus again due to our exploding growth. :eek:

14. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jul 22, 2007

calalilys, your room is beautiful! Are all of those books yours? I'm sure your kids are very motivated to read. What is your system for organizing /checking out books? I didn't have a system and I think it tempted the kids to leave the books at home.

15. MrsLilHen

MrsLilHen Comrade

Jul 22, 2007

calalilys,
    What are all those clipboards (I think that's what they are..)for?
    And what do you do with "homeworkopoly"

16. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 22, 2007

Yes, all the books are mine. My mom picked some up from yard sales and then I bought the boxes of 100 books from Scholastic with my bonus points. I've also had students donate books or buy books for our class library at our school book fairs.

I have the books sorted by genre and if I have a lot of books by a particular author or topic, they have their own bin. They are labeled with a certain color sticker so that students know where the books need to be returned to once they're checked back in. I have a classroom job called Librarian and they are responsible for checking all books in/out. Each student has an index card in an index card file where the date/title of the book are written down. When they are done with the book, they must have the Librarian cross the book off their card before they can check another book out.

They're actually construction paper with clips attached to them. I hole punch student work and slide the paper onto the clips. Those particular ones were for writing samples and I have a set outside my room for self-selected work my students choose.

Homeworkopoly is played at the end of the day every Friday. Students that have completed their homework for the entire week and have had their agendas signed get to play.

17. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 23, 2007

*NEW* pictures of my classroom can be found here.

18. Mrs.A

Mrs.A Rookie

Jul 23, 2007

Wow! I love how your classroom is set up. It is so well organized and colorful. Thanks for the great ideas.

19. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 23, 2007

Calalilys, I may use some of your ideas in my first grade classroom. You have a lot of useful information on your walls, colorful bulletin boards, but they are not too overwhelming! I can't wait to start arranging my classroom. I saw it today, all it has is four walls. I hope it will be ready in time.

20. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 23, 2007

Your room is the same size as mine. I wish I had more space :( . Was the classroom you had last year larger?

21. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 23, 2007

I'm pretty sure that both classrooms are the same size. I lost some cabinet space in the new room and the cubbies are on a different wall, so I feel as thought this room is smaller.

22. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 23, 2007

Either way you have a great room!

23. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 24, 2007

24. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Jul 24, 2007

25. Gloudina

Gloudina New Member

Jul 24, 2007

Gopher, I am highly impressed and inspired by the pictures of your classroom. Now, I can't wait to begin with my classroom! I am a new Grade 5 at an international school in Germany.

26. Gopher4

Gopher4 Comrade

Jul 24, 2007

Thanks so much. I hope my students feel at home and inspired as well.

Wow! An international school. That sounds interesting. What exactly does that mean? What kind of students/programs do you have?

27. Gopher4

Gopher4 Comrade

Jul 24, 2007

ITeach2, your room looks great and ready to go. I love the frog theme. Really cute!

28. cinaminsweet

cinaminsweet Companion

Jul 25, 2007

Thanks for sharing your pics, your room looks great! :2up: I noticed you have those slider pencil cases in a crate under your workshop way board. Can you tell me what you use them for? I mean, do you just keep pencils in them or something else? :thanks:

29. TripleJ

TripleJ Rookie

Jul 25, 2007

I love seeing all of your classrooms! Lots of creativie juices flowing around here. It makes me anxious to get into my class. Unfortunately, our carpets are being cleaned next week,and the following week I will be unable to work in it. I'm just trying to find things I can do to organize my thoughts for the upcoming school year so I don't go bonkers before I get to work in my class. Thanks for sharing.

30. gmer22

gmer22 Rookie

Jul 25, 2007

Calalilys: I love your storage cubbies....You are so organized I love your room it looks very spacy.

31. gmer22

gmer22 Rookie

Jul 25, 2007

iteach: I love the way you stuck to your theme. It is very cute.

32. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jul 25, 2007

Love your room! I was wondering where you got the white pencil holders. I saw the same type at the grocery store but they were in the shape of a square so it wouldn't work for pencils. I want exactly what you have. How much were they? Do you let the kids keep them at the end of the year?

33. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Jul 25, 2007

I let mine use them for pencils/erasers. They were 3/$1 at Dollar General. The kids did keep them since they were so cheap, but they lasted pretty well all year and most of the kids kept their desks very organized with them...but you did have to teach them how!

34. WindyCityGal606

Jul 25, 2007

Your room is great!!
    Would you explain how your cards work for scheduling meetings with students? I need to do something like this but can't wrap my head around how it works!!

Thanks!!

35. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

I'm going to give each of my students one of them on the first day of school. In fact, everything that's in that storage thing is for my students. I just need to start putting it all together for their goodie bags.

Thanks ... that's my Type A personality coming out. :)

I assign each student with a number at the beginning of the year. I start with the first card and call that student over to the horseshoe table to have our conference. Once we finish, I'll go to the next card and call that number for their conference. I typically get through about five a day and put a clip on the conference I need to start with the following day.

36. WindyCityGal606

Jul 25, 2007

OK....so I could manage that! And what are in the pockets? Are those notes about what you will talk about or notes about what they want to talk about? How long do you spend with each student?
    (I appreciate this BTW!!)

37. OtterMom

OtterMom Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

I'm loving your photos. They're finishing up waxing the floors in front of my classroom this week, and I'll be totally rearranging my room beginning Monday. When I get done, I'll shoot it!

What I'd like to know is: How do you do a neat website with backgrounds like Mandyg? I'm a relative newbie when it comes to computer technology, and I have no idea how all that stuff works.:crosseyed

38. 773 Miles Away

773 Miles Away Comrade

Jul 26, 2007

I love your room. One question - you hot glue fabric to the wall? Does it come off clean? I would love to do that but I don't want to do any permanent damage. I'm assuming it works best on painted cinderblock as opposed to regular walls.

39. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 26, 2007

calalilys - is that wire shelving sturdy? i'm thinking about purchasing some myself.

40. Miss Bradley

Miss Bradley Companion

Jul 26, 2007

I LOVE all your pictures--I just accepted a job yesterday for a 4th grade Reading position. I have no clue what to do with my classroom and your pictures really gave me some ideas! If you have any other suggestions, I would really appreciate them! :)