Show & Tell...

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by teacherSMK, Jul 27, 2008.

1. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 27, 2008

:blush: Well, I guess my question is...How often do your students participate in a show & Tell time...Once a week, bi-weekly, monthly, or not at all? I am preparing my yearly calendar for my pk class, and wanted to pencil in all of those activities, but wasn't sure what the protocol was for S&T times...:anyone:???

3. sewsouth

sewsouth Companion

Jul 27, 2008

We do our once a week, usually on Fridays.
    We do letters each week so they bring in
    something they picked out that begins with
    that letter.

4. Kindtchr

Kindtchr Comrade

Jul 27, 2008

I let them show & tell once a week. I encourage objects from nature or photos. Participation is optional.

5. mrs27

mrs27 Rookie

Jul 27, 2008

We have one child do show and tell each day, So they all get a chance approximately once a month.

6. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 27, 2008

Thank you! :)

7. teach24iam

teach24iam Comrade

Jul 27, 2008

Honestly...I hate show and tell and actually do not do it anymore. It turned into a fiasco and couldn't deal with it anymore. Now I incorporate show and tell as part of the "Star of the Week". One of the days is that they bring in something from home that is special to them. Other than that, no show and tell for me

8. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 27, 2008

How do you decide your star of the week? Do all the kids get a chance to be the Star?

9. teach24iam

teach24iam Comrade

Jul 27, 2008

Yes....they all get a chance..I do it randomly by pulling names out of a jar. Basically there is a questionaire that goes home they have to make a photo collage and answer the questions over the weekend, then each day is something different, one day is bring your favorite book, one day is a favorite snack, one day is a special toy....focuses on one child for a whole week.

10. Iteach782

Iteach782 Comrade

Jul 27, 2008

I allow sharing time daily. My students are numbered 1-20. 1-4 are on M, 5-8 are T, 9-12 are W, 13-16 are TH, and 17-20 are F. The kids really love bringing something from home to share. They always wait for their sharing day to come. I also have them answer 3 questions from their audience which they love doing. It's also a great opportunity for my 1st grade students to practice forming questions.

11. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Jul 27, 2008

We have one child each day who is leader and does show'n'tell. Long ago, we used to do the whole class once a week, but that was too long to sit through (both the kids and me).

12. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jul 27, 2008

I don't do show n tell w ith my three year olds, but dureing the summer we have movie day one day a week and they each get totake a turn brining in a favorite movie, otherwise they get the occasionally get to bring in special things for special days or activities that we do througout the yer, but noton a regular basis--our center has a policy of no toys from h ome because too many parents have complained about theri child's toys getting broken or lost

13. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 28, 2008

yeah, I do not want to sit through all of my students at one time...I like the idea of drawig from a jar...maybe I will have my leader of the day draw a name for th next day, and that person will be leader of the day the next day, as well as shownteller....i will have to experiment...Thanks for al the great ideas

Our school movie days have to be "educational...i.e. go with the unit/theme we are studying at the time, or th students can choose a movie party if they have earned a party, but from my experience, the prek/kinder class ALWAYS chose icecream...so, I won't be able to do the movie idea.

14. Minimuscles

Minimuscles Rookie

Jul 28, 2008

Guess and Tell

Ours is like yours, but we call it Guess and Tell. The students bring something that begins with the letter of the week. They bring it in a paper bag. The parents and child discuss clues that describe the object. At school, each child gives clues as to what is in the bag, and the other kids guess. We ask the parents to write clues on the outside of the bag in case we need to help the child. The kids love this activity and it's good for language skills. Of course, we also talk about the letter sounds. My 3-year-olds as well as the 4-year-olds participate. Sometimes, particularly younger ones or those with delays, we may need to help give clues. For example, I might whisper a clue in the child's ear for the child to repeat to the class.

15. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2008

We call it "sharing" and we ask that all toys and weapons be left at home. Things from nature, a favorite book, a memento from a vacation, favorite stuffeed animal is okay, but cars, trucks, dolls, etc all stay home.

We have sharing once a week on Fridays. If we're off on Friday, there's no sharing that week.

16. Taliesin

Taliesin Rookie

Jul 28, 2008

We do show and tell each day. I can only have up to 10 students, so each one is assigned a day of the week. That makes one or two students each day and it works out very nicely. The student shows his/her object, then the class raises their hands and can ask up to 3 questions, to which the person will respond. I am going to be more strict this fall about no toys. Last year I would have kids come in with a back pack and just dump out about 10 small McDonald's toys and that was their show and tell.

17. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Jul 28, 2008

This is what I do, EXCEPT, I have a red, foot-controlled trashcan that has a giant bow, red yarn hair, styrofoam eyes with lashes and big felt lips. Her name is Mrs. Soundmuncher. I put a magnetic letter on her "tummy" for that week. We "feed" her pictures and objects that begin with that letter during the week. (great vocabulary activity)

On Friday, the students can bring things/pictures from home (no weapons!!) that begin with that letter. I tell them that they MUST ask before they cut up magazines or borrow from someone else. A few kids participate each week, but not lots so it doesn't take too much time. Then they take them home the same day.

18. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 29, 2008

very cute idea tgi1515! :love:

19. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Jul 29, 2008

This is my first year teaching Pre-K and I set it up so that each Friday, 4 children will have Show and Tell (I have 16 students). It will be theme-related and we won't start until November, when they are more comfortable sharing. I have two months where they will have free choice (no theme- related show and tell.) I chose the students for each Friday according to my maddening OCD. The first month, I went in alphabetical order, the next month in reverse alphabetical order, the following month, I started in the middle and worked my way up, etc. I wanted to be sure I was fair and everyone got a chance to go first!
    I think show and tell is important for so many reasons. The obvious one is that they are speaking and sharing something important to them. It gives them the attention that they deserve. It gets them thinking about our themes even when at home. The list goes on.