Show & Tell

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by ksmomy, Jul 18, 2006.

1. ksmomy

ksmomy Companion

Jul 18, 2006

Do any of you do show & tell in your classrooms? I am preparing ideas for the fall and I wanted to see if there is an easier way to do it. I have done it in the past but I don't particularly care for it. Some kids usually start to bring in things that are too large, inappropriate etc... I teach 3 and 4 year olds. Some of the kids have asked, that is the only reason I am checking into it.

3. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2006

When we do it, I try to give it a different spin. For example, during Easter I sent home plastic Easter eggs and everyone had to find something from home that fit inside the Easter egg for show and tell. Sometimes I have them bring in something that starts with our letter of the week, or has something to do with our theme that week.

4. QuigleK

QuigleK Rookie

Jul 18, 2006

When I was student teaching we called Friday "bag day". On "bag day" you could bring a small item from home that would fit in a small paper bag. It could be something special or something that went with the letter of the week. This might eliminate anything big.......and kids do love to share.

5. beckyeduk8er

beckyeduk8er Comrade

Jul 18, 2006

I don't do show and tell as whole group. I bought a green (any color but clear would work) container with a cover. I send it home with one child each day. They bring in back the next day with one thing in it. THis lets me control the size. When I taught in ND the child had to think of three clues about thier item and have a family member write them down. My population last year was largely Hispanic (NV) and most of the parents didn't speak English so I don't have them write down the clues. I model this the first two weeks so they have lots of ideas for clues. After we guess (or don't) the item then the sharer chooses 3 people to ask questions. I like this so much better then regular show and tell.

6. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Jul 18, 2006

One way I've seen it is simply to have one child a week assigned for show and tell. They can bring in anything they want (within parameters, and no large animals) on any one of the days that week. They then have a chance to share their item during lunchtime (lunch was eaten in the classroom) or right before they went home. This was in second grade.

In Kindergarten one child a day was assigned to bring in an item. The teacher would put the item in a big tote bag to hide it, and then the child gave 3 clues to their classmates. After this, the student could call on 3 students to try and guess. If the item wasn't guessed after 3 inquiries, it was revealed.

Hope this helps!

7. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 18, 2006

I chose not to do show and tell b/c most of my students are low income and not everyone has things to bring in. But when each child is star of the week they can bring a toy or something special in to share with the class.
    In September I have the children bring in something special to share with the class when we do out "All About Me" unit.
    The last day of school we have game day and the children can bring in a game or a toy.

8. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Jul 18, 2006

I do show and tell but not all year. It depends on the theme. At the beginning I have them bring in an item that is the color that we are doing. Then later on I might ask them to bring something that begins with a particular letter or that goes along with our unit. I have never had a child bring in something large but you could right a letter informing parents that the item must fit into the child's book bag.

9. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Jul 18, 2006

Cute idea! Never thought of doing it that way. I have done a mystery bag before but it is an item that I have put in the bag.

10. teach4Knsc

teach4Knsc Rookie

Jul 28, 2006

They can bring in show and tell any day during the week, but it MUST start with our letter of the week! This has cut down on the toys that are brought "just because"- and they have gotten REALLY creative thinking of things to bring in! It is part of our circle time each day, and once they bring something in, I mark off their name for the week. When our 26 letters are done, show and tell is, too!

11. ksmomy

ksmomy Companion

Jul 29, 2006

Thanks so much for all of your ideas. We have a letter bucket which will go home with one person each week. This will start in August once our academic year begins. I just wondered whether or not to do a show and tell in addition to this, but I think I will let that be the show and tell. Everyone will eventually get a turn and the bucket will cut down on the size of the items brought in. Also it will be much more of a learning experience than bringing in a toy just because.

12. star9305

star9305 Rookie

Jul 30, 2006

I use show and tell with my letter of the week too. My "rules" are they have to fit in a paper lunch sack and they have to start with the letter of the week. I also have a collection of items that I bring from home/school on show and tell day for the students that did not bring in an item. During circle time we look at each child's item and I write the word on a white board. We then look to see if the word starts with our letter of the week and to see if we know any other letters in the word. We also look at how long the words are, how many claps they are. My students love it.

13. teach4Knsc

teach4Knsc Rookie

Jul 30, 2006

OOO- I like the word list idea!! Thanks!

14. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2006

I do "SECRET SHARING"......I never call it show and tell. Each child gets one day a month they are assigned. I send home a paper lunch bag with a note attached. Give three clues about the object inside. The children are writing their own clues by the end of the year. I think it is an important problem solving and language building activity. It also helps the children to learn how to ask a QUESTION vs. telling something. The child who brought the object reads the clues and the children put on their detective hats to think about and put ALL the clues together. They learn to ask "does that make sense?" Then the child who brought the secret sharing in calls on three children to guess what is in the bag. The child will then show us and has to tell us something about it. I love secret sharing. And by sending home the small bag, it limits the items that can be brought in.

15. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jul 31, 2006

I was having problems with "show and tell" and was advised to use this method. I can't wait to try it in the fall!