Show & Tell

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by kpa1b2, Jul 20, 2011.

1. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 20, 2011

Does anyone do Show & Tell? I'm thinking about it this year, but maybe only have 1 or 2 kids do it per day. I'm thinking it might get a little tricky to remember who's turn it is.

That's part of the reason I don't do a student of the week. Maybe I should try that again. Set the schedule up, send it home & then hope for the best!

Thoughts?

3. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2011

I know one K teacher had a lunch box & they could show or tell whatever would fit in the box. The kids would ask 3 questions to see if they could guess what it was, then the person told about it. It went home with the person who guessed it right or whoever "needed" to bring it home. It was a good way to do 1 a day, limit the size & the time of show & tell.

4. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Jul 20, 2011

A schedule would definitely help manage whose turn it is each day. Perhaps you could do it once a week, on Fridays or something. That would make it extra special and allow kids time to think of what they want to bring in.

5. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 20, 2011

As a parent, I strongly dislike show and tell. I understand that it is supposed to give kids a chance to practice public speaking, talking about a subject, whatever...but as a parent, what it becomes is my daughter and I frantically searching the house, or the car, or my classroom, to find something for her to show. And she's never happy about it, and always wants to take the single most expensive toy in her room, OR the dirtiest, most beat up McDonald's toy she can find.

My favorite use of show and tell was our Kindergarten teacher, who does not allow toys. They have to bring something that begins with the letter of the week, and she would say today's item has to come from your kitchen, or your bathroom, or from outside. That actually made the kids think about the item, rather than just grabbing the Transformer du jour.

6. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2011

KC... I did that when I taught word families ... we did the word family we were working on. Like you it made them think about something. The weirdest was some one had a fox fur (like from hunting) and brought it in for the ox family!!! I was impressed!!! LOL!!! We happened to have time after one of our specials in the afternoon & about a half hour before we went home when we had show & tell. I phased it out around Halloween.

We also had a 3 question rule. They could tell about their item, but then only choose 3 people who had questions that had to start like a question!!! Good for that review as well!!!

7. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 20, 2011

Hmm. . .so many things to think about & consider.

8. skerns

skerns Companion

Jul 20, 2011

Show and Tell

I have a how and tell bag. I make an alphabetical chart on the wall and use a tiny post it to mark who turn is that week. We do it on Friday, so I send the bag home on Thursday. The item has to fit in the bag. This year I am saying NO toys and they may only bring ONE item.

I am limited on time so once per week is the best we can do, the other class does all boys one week and all girl the next with no stipulations.

Some of my favorite things that students have brought were: a pacemaker, a dad's kidney stone, sharks teeth and one child brought a moose caller. Too Funny :lol:

9. ally06

ally06 Companion

Jul 20, 2011

I have 5-6 children doing show & tell each day, they have 'their' day all year. We send home a topic for the children to bring in/talk about each week - it may be something like 'tell the class about your favourite animal' or 'bring in a picture showing things you are thankful for'. The topics usually relate to what we are learning about in class that week. The last week of each term is usually free choice but we don't allow toys.

10. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 21, 2011

I HATE show and tell. Each child gets to be star of the week and when they are star of the week they can bring in something special to share with the class. In the beginning of the year I do an all about me unit and each child can bring in something special then to share with the class.

My student teacher did a classroom mailbox and the kids kept bringing in toys to put in the mailbox and share, I had to put to stop to it.

Where I teach my kids are middle-low income and some don't have anything to bring in.

11. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2011

We do two different things. On Fridays we have "sharing" where each child brings in something from home and gets to tell us about it. ONE thing. It has to be something from nature, a favorite book or stuffed animal, a picture, or something that means a lot to a child. Absolutely no toys or anything that can be seen on television.

We also do a weekly "Me Museum" where one child gets to bring in 3 things from home, tell us about them on Monday, and we have a special table where we keep it throughout the week so other children can look at it. It's up to the child who brings it in whether or not it's touchable, but we are very clear that it might get broken since I can't watch it 24/7, so parents help children choose accordingly. I set the schedule of me museum weeks at the beginning of the year and send the note home, then remind the parent the week before with an email or phone message.

The kids have really loved the Me Museum since it makes them feel very special.

12. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Jul 21, 2011

Yes we have sharing. My co-teacher prints up a calendar and assign sharing for 1 child per day throughout the month. The children enjoy the 5-10minutes they get to share. We encourage them to share any of the following:

1. share pictures, a drawing something they are proud of.
    2. talk about whatever they wish to talk about... a trip, something that they are happy, sad about. What they like to do etc.
    3. a special book, picture (we discourage "toys") but sometimes they come in with a toy that has special meaning to them. They will then talk about who brought the toy who it came from, what they do with it, the name etc...

I enjoy share time, its a nice oral development activity. Then it is followed up with 2 questions and then they can pass it around for a 2 finger touch if they wish. By the middle of the year they can normally do share time independently without my help or the co-teacher help. I also have it at the same time everyday.

After lunch before they go outside. :)

13. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Jul 21, 2011

I have a diverse group... from low, mid and in some cases high income. You can always encourage them to tell a story. They become great story tellers and the children enjoy where they "travel" during this time.

14. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Jul 22, 2011

Occasionally, we do show and tell aka a brown bag book report! I send home a brown lunch bag with each child on Tuesday. They must put something in the bag that relates to the story of the week. It has to be something nonliving and no food. The children LOVE this! They must return all bags on Friday. I then scatter the students throughout the day to share what they brought in. They must say what they brought and why they chose that item. I love doing show and tell this way! One, I never have to worry about them bringing in expensive toys, two, everyone can find something to relate to the story...even if it is a picture off the computer or in a magazine. If the student doesn't bring something in, I usually have a few spare items they can choose to put in their bag and present to the class.:) I do "Show and Tell" once a year...after Christmas time....

15. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 23, 2011

A nice idea but my students are also esl and can be very shy!

16. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 25, 2011

This year, I am having 2 Show and Tell's a month. One is a free choice and one is based on what we are learning during that month. The free choice day is exactly that, and I allow the students to bring in any item that they would like to bring in. They are not allowed to bring in a toy that they are not willing to "share." I go over this with parents at orientation. (If it is a family heirloom or a toy they got when they were born, etc. Something super special, the parents have to send in a note explaining that the toy is not to be played with. I can usually tell when such is the case)
    On Free Choice S&T day, the students get to play with their items during Free Choice center time.
    For the themed S&T day, I send home alist of ideas revolving around what we are learning about. SOmetimes we have Show and Share days when the kids bring in special treats to share with the class. For instance, last year in September, we were learning about apples, orchards, and farmers. We had a special day where everyone brought in an apple treat. I brought apple pie. One parent brought in homemade apple ice cream. Another brought in pencils with apple erasers. We ended the apple party with apple print paintings. It was a super fun day.

17. Kindtchr

Kindtchr Comrade

Jul 25, 2011

The easiest way for me to keep track of the students assigned to each day is to use the vertical rows of mailbox slots. Adults in the room get to show on Mon. & Friday- we model how we decide and share. I have 3 columns of mailboxes so the first column students shows on Tues., 2nd on Wed. & 3rd column on Thurs. Show & Tell is optional and we suggest items pertaining to our units of study, nature or travel souvenirs. The students have a chance to teach the class something. We share during snack time and stand in front of the mailboxes (in view of all the tables & I can tell at a glance whose turn it is). I alternate starting top to bottom, bottom to top, middle, etc. Many students like to give clues after watching adults introduce their show & tell items this way. Sometimes someone shows acorns or seashells and passes one out to each child to keep. Some students don't care to participate & that is fine. Most students love it and we all learn about being good listeners.:hugs:

18. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2011

In my classroom I have a realia table for the letter of the week. All week long students may bring items from home starting with that letter and place them on the table. This reinforces letter sounds.

Also my star student of the week may bring something to share every day that week. (most students only bring one item all week).

So there are two opportunities to share. Whenever a student has the floor, I let them choose 3 students questions to answer. This gives them practice formulating questions.