Show on Animal Planet "Infested!"

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by KinderCowgirl, Jan 22, 2011.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jan 22, 2011

Has anyone seen this? It's like a car accident-I want to change the channel, but I can't-I have to watch. It shows people who had their homes infested with insects, scorpions, rodents-one was even garter snakes! Shiver.

The amazing thing to me is how many people actually have to move and find new homes because of it. The snake house residents found news footage online of previous owners dealing with this snake issue. The experts said there were thousands of snakes living under their house-the only way to fix it would be to lift the house, repour the foundation and it would have cost $100,000. Apparently, it had been a hibernation den for years. They ended up declaring bankruptcy and moving-the real scary part-the bank put the house up for sale-it's on the market again right now!

With all our technologies and research, we still can't always fight nature.

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 22, 2011

I've been watching. So far, there's been 3 episodes. I detest spiders, so I don't know how the people for that or any other critters can close their eyes at night!

4. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jan 22, 2011

My husband and I watched the snake episode. We were both totally freaked out!

We once saw a black snake go under our house (not uncommon to have a black snake in this area) and for the entire day we were both terrified knowing we had a snake under us.

Yes, I get that snakes are good at controlling the rodent population, my stepdad won't kill a black snake for that reason (he has a ranch), but snakes still FREAK me OUT!

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 22, 2011

Oh, no, no, no, no, no. If I watched even one second of it, I'd never sleep again.

6. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jan 22, 2011

Me, too, Daisy!! I'd be ok with some of them, but I am sure somebody has had, or will have a roach issue. I moved out of a house because of roaches. I think they all should die horribly. They are filthy, freaky, and disgusting - - - - I have an issue with roaches. Now if you excuse me, I'm off to do the heebie jeebie dance.

7. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jan 22, 2011

You better not come to my house. We just found the Gartanuan Taratanula who had been roaming for about 2 months and we have had various snakes loose for up to 4 months. I just found the Bearded Dragon perched on the top of his cage - time to get a better top. I better not tell you about the roach I just dropped when I was feeding them....but if we lose a rat I am out of here - lol!

8. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jan 22, 2011

Tarantulas are my nightmare.

9. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jan 22, 2011

well; I happened upon the show last night (?) and yikes!!! Just the thought of bedbugs. :eek:

10. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jan 22, 2011

iI'm fine with the tarantula (ok I wouldn't let it crawl on me, but they are very cool!), the snakes (love them), and the bearded dragon. I'm confused - were you feeding the roaches *shudder* to the lizard or feeding the roaches themselves? *double shudder* Oh, and I've had several pet rats. They are so sweet!!

11. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Jan 22, 2011

Bedbugs would be a nightmare!

12. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jan 22, 2011

I was feeding the dragons but the roaches too - we have two big containers we breed them in - saves a lot of money. Probably have about 300 right now. They are Bedia (sp?) roaches - a special type. We breed meal worms too. The roaches eat all the peelings and ends and getting old vegetables and fruit - recycling - lol! The worms eat oatmeal or wheat bran so that is easy.

Hey - I just found the darned dragon out of his cage again sleeping on my son's pillow. He knocked off the top. It was cute but time for a new cage.

Believe it or not I found toad eggs last weekend because we have had a warm spell and about 30 of them hatched this week. We even saw some Monarchs. I hope they didn't lay eggs because my plants are still recovering from last time.

13. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jan 23, 2011

And I didn't know they were so transmittable. If you are in a place that has them and they get on your clothes, you can bring them into your house.

People also think they only hit unclean places-they did survey recently of hotels and the bedbugs were just as prevelant in the 4-star hotels!

Sandra-isn't it hard to look away from it though?

They had one on this special breed of ants-I think it was called Argentine ants. The guy put down his wine glass and 10 minutes later, picked it up again and there were like 100 on it. I think everyone has had ants at one time or another but this was scary. They have multiple queens so even if you bait them, it may kill one queen but they still reproduce like crazy. Ugh. Could you imagine?

I want to watch to the end and see them get rid of the problem, unfortunately, it doesn't always have a happy ending.

14. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jan 23, 2011

It is hard to look away! I watched a few clips before bed and then I had to watch something different for a bit to calm down!! lol