Show off your website

Discussion in 'General Education' started by dibba, May 29, 2011.

1. dibba

dibba Rookie

May 29, 2011

I saw a "show off your classroom photo" link earlier, thought it'd be cool to see your school or classroom website.

We have a small preschool, we paid a graphics person to make the logo (we gave a lot of input and I think it turned out really cute), and then I made the rest of the site based on our logo colors.

I'd like to see what kind of information you include, and what parents or your students think of it.

I'll start, here's our site:

http://discoveryplayground.com

[​IMG]

3. applecore

applecore Devotee

May 30, 2011

Love the colors scheme and organization---very neat and organized without all the visual clutter some others have. Nice!

We have a no-show internet policy in our district---just having Facebook is a taboo issue--and district controlled website. But it's nice to see what other districts are able to do to promote and include parent contact with the grades.

4. dibba

dibba Rookie

May 30, 2011

What does a "no-show internet policy" mean? Does that mean that you can't get online in the classroom, or something else?

And are you saying that it's taboo for you to personally have a Facebook account, or do you mean taboo to have a Facebook page for your school?

And thanks for your comments, I love the colors too! :)

5. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

May 30, 2011

dibba, I like the colors and the organization. One small comment is that I find it a little strange that you have A+ on it. If you are a developmental school as you say on the website, grades would not be developmentally appropriate so it doesn't seem to fit.

6. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

May 30, 2011

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

May 30, 2011

I will be working on mine over the summer. I do an update every summer, although it doesn't change a whole lot from year to year. Our curriculum and standards are changing a lot, so most of my changes come from there.

I do not like the format of our pages, but it's what's provided free from the school. I have a second page that I link to so I can make other pages, but I'm stuck with the yucky format.

My Classroom Website

8. dibba

dibba Rookie

May 30, 2011

As a preschool, we're getting the kids geared up for "real school", and we felt that the "A+" was the universal symbol for doing well in school, so even though we certainly don't give out grades, we are preparing the children for "future A+'s".

9. katenar

katenar Cohort

May 30, 2011

I haven't had much time to update mine since getting pregnant (exhausted all the time!) but here is what I have www.MrsLyon.com.

10. VT-HI-PATeacher

VT-HI-PATeacher Rookie

May 30, 2011

11. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

May 30, 2011

12. cjw4ua

cjw4ua Rookie

May 31, 2011

My Site

I have put a lot of hours into creating my site. It is an amazing communication tool for parents, students, and teachers. http://www.ecboe.org/whitehead

13. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

May 31, 2011

www.mrroughton.com

Never thought I'd end up getting weekly new contacts from around the world when I set it up but it sure has made the time spent worthwhile.

14. holliday

holliday Comrade

Jun 1, 2011

Rockguykev, wow! I love your Choose your own Adventure assignments...that looks like it took a while to create. How cool!

15. applecore

applecore Devotee

Jun 1, 2011

We can't create or use a website for school purposes.

We're not supposed to have a Facebook account, according to the Ethics Committee---but constitutionally they can't keep us from having one. There's been teachers who access their accounts from school, using their own cell phone or lap top computers, and get nailed by parents they "friend"...who turn the teacher in when they have a bad day, or wild hair. It just gets more involved...and dramatic from there.

You'r welcome! :thumb: They are truly lovely!

16. dibba

dibba Rookie

Jun 1, 2011

Wow. Your school can't/doesn't have a website?

I'm assuming you're a private school? If so, that is "bad business" not to have a website. A website is the cheapest and absolute best way to get people to find out about your school and check it out. (assuming your site is informative)

And the part about "no facebook"... I just don't know where to begin on that. Like it or not, 600 million people use FB on a regular basis, it is part of everyday life for a lot of people, and you really can't stop someone from using it.

And not trying to offend you or your school, but it definitely sounds very "old school" and (in my opinion) needs to step into the 21st century. (but I'm an IT guy by trade and am a little biased towards technology in general) :)