Show Me Your Home Office

Discussion in 'General Education' started by cutNglue, Aug 15, 2008.

1. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 15, 2008

I love the storage crafter's (or scrapbooking) desks setups have but I do not like WHITE. I don't scrapbook. I just like papershelves. Do any of you have a great home office to share with us?

3. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 15, 2008

:lol: My home office is usually my bed! I bring my laptop and any projects to bed with me and work on them as I listen to my TV.

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 15, 2008

My home office is my classroom (this is going to take a while to get used to). Once I'm done making it a place where I can spend six hours a day minimum, I'll take pictures!

5. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Aug 15, 2008

I havent resorted to the bed yet. But, we added on to our house on the backside my husband has one whole wall with his computer, laptop, and other smaler desktop he uses for fixing computers for people for the fun of it. And on my side I have a file cabinet, nice size desk for my laptop and desktop and palms and a shelf beside it that is big enough to place good size binders on it. I work from here and then if I need to I work on my palms. I use those and jumpdrives back and forth to school.

6. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Aug 15, 2008

I don't have a home office because I live in a 1 bedroom apartment! But here is my desk. To the right (where you see the pictures) is a magnetic whiteboard. Up top there are 12 wire hoops to keep my books in place. It's from Ikea. I have had it for 4 years and I'm surprised it hasn't fallen apart.

[​IMG]

7. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 15, 2008

uclalum, it is funny that you mention Ikea. I've never seen what the big fuss with them is all about and I'm not sure I still do BUT.... I found a scrapbook room I liked today and it was built from Ikea components.

http://www.madcropper.com/scrap-room-envy/

I'm focusing on the 1st and 3rd picture (no upper cabinets, I rent).

I ran across another website that had the owner's instructions but I can't seem to find it again. Luckily I copied and pasted the part I needed into my own document. It says:

The lower cabinet I purchased from IKEA. It is a free-standing kitchen cabinet from the VARDE series. I asked my DH to cut the legs off to a table height (28 1/2") so that it will look like a custom cabinet with the 4 paper shelves units inside. Got those paper storage at www.poorray.com.

I used 12 TARGET cubes to make the other part of this L-shaped desk. I purchased 2 PRONOMEN countertops from IKEA and cut it to the desired length. The countertop is WIDER in depth compared to the TARGET cubes so I was able to make it my desk with numerous storage underneath while still making it look custom-made.

I found the 2 Ikea bases.

[​IMG][​IMG]

and the countertop, but I like this brown stone (ikea) one better...
    [​IMG]

What I can't figure out is how to make the counter tops fuse in the corner to where it looks more seamless.

No, I'm not a scrapbooker. I just want places to put my to-do lists, lesson plans, etc. I also want drawers to hold the little junk we collect as teachers in order to make those beautiful peices of art we create. In addition to this design, I will have to add something for cd storage (drawers--we don't necessarily keep up with the cases) and some kind of cabinet because my hubby has WAAAY tooo much computer crud.

I found THIS today and I sooooo badly want it but not for $1200 or MORE. Scroll down, I want kit C.

http://www.ergoindemand.com/office_storage_system.htm

8. little317

little317 Groupie

Aug 15, 2008

Uclalum,
    I like that desk!! Its the same color of my dresser from IKEA. Hmmmm, I can see that desk in my house some day!

9. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 15, 2008

My office is not an office at all!!

[​IMG] I sit on my couch a lot when I am online.

[​IMG]

All the drawers in this dresser have office stuff in them... pens, stationary, tape, important things... the baskets on the side also have things in them. The big basket on the bottom is actually a hanging file. The red one has stamps and stationary, and the top one has bills in it.

I even keep some office sorts of things in the green tea pot!!

I don't live like a college student... really! But I do live in a one bedroom apartment in a 100 year old building... home offices weren't exactly planned for back then. If I am sick of working on the couch I work at my kitchen table.

[​IMG]
    This is ONE of my bookshelves. I have another one just like it in my bedroom. I have A LOT of books!

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 16, 2008

WAHHHH.... The peices are too big for the stupid room I have to call an office. Lol. Did I mention that both hubby and I have a desk (well his is a very small entry table at the moment) in this room plus we have to see the tv from both desks and the bed (without an obstructed view).

I considered one of those book shelves, but I probably wouldn't put many of my books on it. I would probably turn them into drawer units and stacked paper shelves. LOVE the color. Hubby won't go for it though.

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 16, 2008

12. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 16, 2008

There's not enough storage in that one for me Ms. I but it is beautiful and BIG. I sooooo wish I had a full large room to put my office in and not this 8x8 cut out off the bedroom with TWO people in it. I do a good job converting my closet though.

My husband likes to point out my ever lasting mess beside my desk. I like to point out my nice and neat closet that I go into almost as frequently to get stuff. The point of that story? Tiny desk=Big Mess, Twice the Space=Nice and Neat

I can tell the school season is coming. I'm spring cleaning my house and running all my errands. The crazy part is I only had two actual weeks I could claim as time off this summer and I had to go squander it. (Well, not totally, but stayed busy nonetheless).

I've been pouring over google images. Why is it that EVERY desk that I like is either some price I never dreamed of or the website itself has NO price. That always scares me.

13. MrL

MrL Companion

Aug 16, 2008

Speaking of eternal mess, this is the area where I sit to calmly call parents and work on the education of America's youth.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As an adult ADD sufferer I always need something in my hands to move around. The Dragonball Z
    figures bag for a dollar I found at a garage sale was a godsend.
    [​IMG]
    You can see the stack of Jurassic Park Operation Genesis for my dinosaur class by my monitor. The
    stuffed dog was a gift from a student. The Hot Wheels car was a secret Santa gift that I still have no idea how to use.

And in case you're wondering why I've stuck labels on a Batman figure, it's to emulate this...
    [​IMG]

14. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Aug 16, 2008

OMG!!! My husband has the exact same desk. I'm sitting at it right now. It would also not be my choice but he really likes the hutch and the pullout. I have been trying to get him to replace it for several years without success.

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 16, 2008

Isn't that something! I much prefer the more modern, glass, & chrome office furniture.

16. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 16, 2008

I want STORAGE!! That's my big thing and this space is too tight. I want loads of paper shelves. Oh wait a minute, I already said all of that. Another interesting note (or point of fustration): Many of the designs I end up liking are from the UK!

Those cartoons crack me up. If parents only know...(the secret lives of teachers).

17. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

18. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 16, 2008

I'm going to go to those websites tmw. It's nearing bedtime for me and I'm goofing off. Currently, I'm thinking how hard this particular bench is and how off the search I've gotten this late at night, but it is sooo much fun!!!!

[​IMG]

They have other pillows too to spell other things.

Check out this shoe rack.

[​IMG]

Not the most comfortable looking but definately interesting!

[​IMG]

Definately off track for tnite. I promise I'll be more grown up tomorrow. Well, technically hubby came home from Germany tnite so I may be busy. :whistle:

19. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 17, 2008