show and tell

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by kindergarden, Aug 7, 2007.

1. kindergarden

kindergarden Rookie

Aug 7, 2007

Hi! I'm a first year teacher and I'm trying to figure out if I will be doing show and tell in my classroom. I was thinking maybe once a week, but I have 20 kids and I'm afraid to much time could be lost that could otherwise be spent on academics. Any ideas for how you handle this in your classroom would be helpful. Thanks!

3. kinderteach3

kinderteach3 Rookie

Aug 7, 2007

My "behavior plan" is set up so once students get a certain amount of stickers then they chose a prize... one of my prizes is show and tell which is done during our snack time. It doesn't interfere with instruction time and it was the All Time Favorite prize this past year!!!

4. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2007

I do "secret sharing". It is similar to show and tell, but involves more thinking/problem solving then your average show and tell. I send home a brown lunch bag with the child and a note attached that they are to write (or parent should write) 3 clues about what is in the bag. The children then put their imaginary detective hats on and have to try and solve the mystery using the clues the child has given. I allow for 3 guesses. If after 3 guesses no one has gotten it, the child will reveal what is in the bag. They then have to tell us something about what they brought and the children may ask questions. (again, I allow 3 questions). This is great practice for children to learn who,what,why, when, where, how, words.........to ask and not tell.
    I do this on Wednesdays and assign a certain number of children each Wed. per month. I would not have them all go at once.....that would get too long and boring.

5. carlea

carlea Comrade

Aug 7, 2007

When I taught kinder, my kids were assigned colors (for seating arrangements). Each color got to share on a particular day - green on Monday, blue on Tuesday, etc. There were only 4 kids for each color (5 colors) & it didn't take up much time (did it during my morning routine). I actually had a minute timer that one student was in charge of & that's how long they got to talk. Then they were allowed to choose 2 students to ask a question. It worked out well & the kids learned quickly which day was their day to share.

6. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 7, 2007

I've done a guessing bag (kind of like KinderKids described). I've also done "All About Me" bags where they bring in 3 objects to share to tell about themselves/family/interests.

I do not have a "show and tell" time, but sometimes students just bring in random things to share. Often they are very interesting (like the hovercraft a student brought last year that I accidentally crashed and broke a piece of off when I was flying it. :eek: ). They show it to me in the morning and I tell them to put it in their cubbies and we'll share it "if we have time." Inevitably we have a few moments before a special class or during a snack, etc. If not, they can choose to bring it home or to leave it in their cubby for the next day.

7. repete8

repete8 Companion

Aug 7, 2007

a teacher i worked with last year has show and tell only the item they brought in had to begin with the letter we were studying that week. for vowels, the short vowel sound had to be in the middle of the item. hope this makes sense.

8. mbbreen

mbbreen Rookie

Aug 7, 2007

I have "Take Home Bags" that students get to take home throughout the year. One of the bags is called the Sharing Bag. (It's simply a tote bag that I got for free from Scholastic that has a design on - the blank side of the bag I used fabric paint to write Sharing Bag.) When the child gets to take this bag home, they get to bring something back to school in this bag to share about. I limit it to two things. I try to have students bring the bag back the next school day (doesn't always happen), that way it gets cycled through the class faster. We do the sharing bag during our morning circle/calendar time.

9. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Aug 7, 2007

Neat ideas. My daughter did the guessing game one in pre-school. My other daughter when she was in Kindergarten did the one that tied in with the letter of the week. That one worked really well because it stayed with the curiculuum and also was fun for the children to see all the creative things their friends brought for the letter of the week. I will do my share day that way this year! :)

10. repete8

repete8 Companion

Aug 7, 2007

i forgot that the teacher i worked with last year also took pictures of the items the student brought in and then put the pictures in a book for that letter. the books were put in the classroom library. i think she also let each student pick their favorite book at the end of the year and they took it home with them.

11. jmevno

jmevno Rookie

Aug 7, 2007

I use this theory to, but I use a pencil box. Inside a used contact paper to put a note to parents that the item must fit inside the box and the lid must close. Then they bring it back to school. I usually let them share while we are cleaning up and getting back packs.

12. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 7, 2007

I do share from the heart. Which means they tell us something special but don't bring any toys in. I have a sign up board for each day so if I had 20 students I would have five share a day. Usually you only have that many share the first couple of weeks of school.

13. kindernj123

kindernj123 Companion

Aug 7, 2007

I do a 'surprise bag' daily. We don't start until October or November when routines are established. One child takes the bag home daily and they need to come up with three clues. They can remember them or read them or just show me-depends on their level. They get three guesses. Then I ask for three questions or comments from the class. This helps both the one who is sharing as well as the ones who are asking with their oral language skills. Don't think of it as fluff! These days many children do not have the opportunity to do such activities on a daily basis. I just use a clip on a list of names and go down the list. I just use a paper gift bag because many times kids forget and I have to have a bag if they lose it.:)

14. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 7, 2007

I have seen something similar used with letter of the week.

15. Betsey

Betsey New Member

Aug 7, 2007

I have struggled with long show n tell's in the past and this is the way I have dealt with it. I made four bags out of bandana and used shoe strings to make draw strings. Each day 4 different children take home the bags with instructions to parents to help their child pick out something special that will fit in the bag. I also have the children come up with 3 clues to help the class guess what's in the bag. Sometimes parents will have to write these clues out for you so that you can help the child remember. The child gives the clues, class guesses what's in the bag, child tells us something special about the show and tell and then picks a card from a special canister. That card has the name of the next child to take the bag home. Make sure that you don't put the name back into the canister until all names have been drawn. That way you make sure that the rotation stays pretty even.

You wouldn't have to keep the same kind of rotation I did with 4 children every day. You could adjust it to only 2 days per week. I know from experience that even going from 1 day per week and everyone bringing something to every day with only 4 sharing I still saved time.

16. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2007

My kids get one secret sharing day/month. They really look forward to it. And I agree with the poster who said it isn't "fluff". Such important language skills are developed during this time for both the secret sharer and the ones asking the questions.
    Jaime, your share from the heart idea is cute!! :)

17. amykat321

amykat321 New Member

Aug 7, 2007

Show & Tell Idea

I got this idea from my aunt and shared it with my fellow K teachers this year and we are going to do it. Give each student a brown paper bag (lunch ones) and write the letter of the week on it. Send it home on Monday. Have the students return in on Friday with something that starts with that letter. The students have to give the rest of the class clues about their secret item and the rest of the class has to guess what it is. Fun, simple, and incorporates the letter of the week!

18. kindernj123

kindernj123 Companion

Aug 8, 2007

I also do the letter box, same idea. A shoe box goes home once a week and they have to find minimum of three items that begin with that letter. We do the clues and guess each item in the box. I just go down a list and assign each child a letter to make managment easy.

19. dedastarr

dedastarr Rookie

Aug 8, 2007

I was new last year and I adopted some ideas from other teachers. What I ended up doing was tied to the letter of the week. The student had to stand up at the front of the room, show what they brought, tell what letter it began with, what sound that letter makes, and then tell three things (in complete sentences) about their item. Then the students listening are invited to ask three questions. They cannot repeat a question that the speaker has already answered in their three sentences. This helps the student doing the telling to work on many skills and the kids watching need to pay attention to hear what has been said.

My neighbor last year used a variation on this and she called hers "Sound Sharing". She wrote a list on chart paper of each item brought in. She drew a picture of the item or if the item was something that she could keep (like a marshmallow for M) she would attach that to the chart paper. The chart paper then went on the wall as part of her word wall.