Show and Tell Dilemma

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Doublescoop, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Doublescoop

Doublescoop Companion

Sep 20, 2006

When kids bring things for Show and Tell they inevitably want to pass their item around. This takes sooooo long. Does anyone have any techniques for getting kids to have a quick look at an item and then passing it along? Songs? Chants? Anything?

3. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Sep 20, 2006

I used to let my students stand up and share their items and/or stories. Then at the end, I would give them a set amount of time to walk around and look at the items brought in. No one was interested in every item, so they would just check out what interested them.

4. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

Sep 22, 2006

When my kids were in first grade, their teacher used a Show and Tell table. The students stood at the table, picked up their item, told about it, and the other students were allowed to ask questions.

Only during free/choice/recess time were the students allowed to go over and examine the items.

5. busyteach

busyteach Rookie

Sep 22, 2006

I don't have 'show and tell' but I do the 'star student' posters and pick one kid a week. There is a specific spot to showcase the poster, pictures and their items. It stays on display all week so inevitably everyone gets a few minutes to check out the items.

6. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Sep 22, 2006

Show and Tell.....I remember doing that when I did student teaching...I dont think any teachers in my building do it...even in K!

7. herins

herins Companion

Sep 22, 2006

I don't let them pass anything around. They show it and answer questions, then put it away. I tell them they can take it out for recess and show it then. If it's really small, or a photo, I walk around with it to show them.

8. srh

srh Devotee

Sep 22, 2006

We have a very set routine for Show and Tell (I'm in Kinder). Students must bring it in a bag with three clues written on the outside. I call the first student to the front, and he/she says, "I have a S & T to share...I'll give you three clues and three guesses." I help them "read" their clues by whispering to them if they need it.

Then the "audience" makes three guesses (also using complete sentences--that is the standard we're working on). If no one guesses, the audience says, "We give up," and the student pulls it out of the bag to share. I then ask, "Why is this special to you?" and that's it.

Once in a while, a student brings something "really cool" like a small animal in a cage, and students start to rush forward. I just tell them they must stay in their spots, and we'll bring it around to show them up close. This is such a great way for students to practice speaking in public and in complete sentences; even the shy students get into it after a few tries. The routine of it all works very well, and we are accomplishing a few standards at the same time. Later in the year, we request items that relate to our themes: Native Americans, wheels, numbers, etc. (not required, but suggested).

9. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Sep 23, 2006

I do the "Star Student of the Week" thing, too. That way only 1 child brings in something per week to share and they can pass it around if they want. It only takes about 1 minute that way.

10. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 23, 2006

I do what srh does, and I call it "Secret Sharing"....not show and tell. Also, I have four children share once a week, so they all get one chance to share in a month. I think it builds important language and problem solving skills by having them share in front of a group, as well as making the others think and process the clues. I call them "detectives" and they put on their imaginary detective hats when we start. They love solving the "mystery" , just like on Scooby Doo....lol! We also work on "asking questions" and not telling when they guess about what is in the bag, or ask the child about what they brought. My kinders look forward to it very much. By limiting how many go each week, we have time for the child to pass the item around if they so choose.

11. srh

srh Devotee

Sep 23, 2006

I like that, Kinderkids...it's all good! Usually we have 5 or 6 to share; a couple of times last year there were more, so it can take some time at the end of the day. I have them put their bags at the front of the room when they first come in so i can gauge the time it will take. We only do S & T on Fridays, so it's really a great treat for them to look forward to. (We have actually had to say "no" to students who don't follow the rules by putting it in a bag, or writing the clues on the outside, etc. It's such a learning experience from start to finish!) It is so fun to watch their expressions when it is time!

12. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Sep 23, 2006

That is what I have done in the past.

I personally do not like show and tell. What I do now is I let each child bring in something when they are Star of the Week. They share their item and they can have the children look at it and play with it at the end of the day.

13. herins

herins Companion

Sep 23, 2006

I don't like show and tell when there is no objective or guidelines. But like a few others here, I give a specific assignment. I am also teaching immersion, so it is the best way I have found to get them speaking in French. This month they work on describing the object, next month they describe and let their classmates guess what it is. Later they bring things that represent their culture, or that relate to the science unit, etc. I have four children a day, and they are expected to bring something.

14. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 24, 2006

With my 3's, we do show-and-share for an object that starts with the letter of the week. They get to come up, tell us what they brought, and walk around to show it to everyone else... the other kids can't touch it, they can just look. Goes pretty quickly.

15. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Sep 24, 2006

I don't let them pass anything around either. Too much risk of it getting broken or damaged. I do a "Student of the Week" where a student fills out the poster, brings something special from home, and some special pictures they would like to share. If they bring a toy or something special, they can choose 3 kids to ask them a question about it. While they are answering the questions, that is when everyone is looking at the special item. Not touching, just looking.