Show and Tell Day

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by JenK26, Apr 25, 2012.

1. JenK26

JenK26 Rookie

Apr 25, 2012

How does everyone do their show and tell day? Do you just have the child come up to the front and show their toy? Do you ask them questions and if so what are the questions? I'm interested to see how everyone does theirs. Thanks!

3. beckyeduk8er

beckyeduk8er Comrade

Apr 27, 2012

Hi Jen,

I have moved away from whole group show and tell. Now we use the “Wonder Bag”. It is a small canvas tote that velcros close. I made postcards on Vista Print with the direction on the front and a “clue sheet” on back.

This is the Wonder Bag. Please help your child to select one object to put in the bag. Please make sure the item fits in the bag and is not too heavy for your child to carry. We will read the clues you come up with in class and try to guess what’s in the Wonder Bag.

Here are the directions:
    1. Choose an object to put in the Wonder Bag. No food, anything alive, or anything valuable or breakable!
    2. Write three clues on the back of this postcard.
    3. Send the bag back with the object and the clue sheet on the next school day.

Thank you!

Clue Sheet
    Please write three clues to describe your object.
    Examples are:
    1. My object has stripes.
    2. My object has four legs.
    3. My object is black and white.
    a. My object is a zebra toy.

Clues:
    1.________________________
    2. ________________________
    3. ________________________

Answer:
    My object is ________________________.
    *** Please put the clue sheet back in the Wonder Bag with your object and return to school. ***

I send it home with one child a day on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday (we only go 4 days a week). I never send it home over a weekend of holiday.

4. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Apr 28, 2012

Becky, I like the wonder bag. I am not very comfortable doing a show and tell day, as it never seems to be very exciting and a lot of waiting goes on.

5. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Apr 28, 2012

Becky, thanks for sharing the "Wonder Bag" idea... I love that!

6. melnm

melnm Companion

Apr 30, 2012

We have show and tell. This year was my first year in preschool and my boss just said that whoever brought snacks that week brought show and tell. So I haven't made any rules for it.

My son's preschool did something similar to what the poster mentioned above a few years ago though. And I think it is much more meaningful. I will probably do that next year.

This year I have let the child who brings show and tell sit in my chair and I ask some questions, then let the kids ask a few questions. It works out alright but I want it more organized next year. I also do a letter of the week so I was thinking about maybe having the kids bring something to do with the letter we're learning.