Shout outs to my Super Teachers with no A/C.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by FourSquare, Aug 31, 2010.

1. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Aug 31, 2010

I visited TWO Track E (Starts August 9th and gets out late June) schools this week and I really thought I was going to die. It was sweltering. The poor children and staff! I think schools in warm climates, ESPECIALLY ones that start in early August like Track E, should have A/C installed. Think of the potential there! You can remodel schools to be "green" while you're at it.

I mean, I'm sorry, but that **** was just unacceptable. One math class (God bless them) was graphing the daily temperature in their room throughout the day. It got up to 94*F. :eek: Fans don't help much. They just make a lot of distracting noise. And I don't care how much AC costs either. They tell teachers to "make it happen" all the time with no resources. So don't tell me about budget deficits-MAKE IT HAPPEN. These are poor working conditions! See, the union and I agree for once: :haha:

http://www.suntimes.com/news/education/2594974,CST-NWS-heat13.article

August 'snow day' for Chicago Public Schools?
    Teachers call for time off as kids swelter in uncooled schools

Day Two of Chicago's first "excessive heat warning" in four years prompted sweltering public school teachers Thursday to urge cancellation of classes in schools without air conditioning and the city to extend cooling center hours for seniors.

Hot, humid air made Thursday's mid-90-degree temperatures feel like a stifling 103 degrees. More 90-plus heat was expected today.

In anticipation of yet another "excessive heat warning'' day today, a Chicago Teachers Union spokeswoman urged Chicago Public Schools officials to let any of the 200 year-round CPS schools without air conditioning use "snow days" to cancel classes.

Supporters of the idea included Morgan Park High teacher Loretta Balsam, who estimated the temperature in her classroom Thursday at above 90 degrees -- despite two fans.

"I don't even let my dog stay out in heat like this,'' said one teacher at Emmett Till Elementary who supported the unique "snow day'' use. "It's inhumane.''

CPS opposes using "snow days'' on hot days, district spokeswoman Monique Bond said, because "schools are the safest place for children to be, even under these extreme circumstances. Many families cannot make alternative plans for their children.''

Extreme heat and humidity "can be deadly," Jose Santiago, head of the city's Office of Emergency Management and Communications, warned Thursday. "Seniors living alone are especially vulnerable.''

The National Weather Service placed Cook County under a three-day warning. It expires at 7 p.m. today.

City and county officials on Thursday extended the hours at 18 cooling centers for the elderly, which will again stay open until 7 tonight. Other cooling centers -- including 22 run by the Chicago Park District -- will maintain regular hours.

Officials are encouraging people seeking a cool haven overnight to head to police stations. Those air-conditioned facilities are open 24 hours.

Libraries, Park District pools and hospitals are other places to beat the heat, said Joel Mitchell, head of the city's family and support services. He asked those looking for further details to call 311.

3. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Aug 31, 2010

hmmm interesting... it was 50 degrees in my classroom this morning and I actually had to turn the heat on!!!!

4. bros

bros Phenom

Sep 1, 2010

Yeah, in NJ, it gets hot in september and may/june. No AC in my local School District. It was horrible especially during HS in that two floor building. On day it was like ~100 in the school

5. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Sep 1, 2010

I have no AC. It has made our first days back absolutely miserable. I agree with the article - inhumane. I totally agree. I leave the AC on low for my cat when I am not home. I have windows but you can feel the heat coming in them, but if you close them it's worse. Every other school in our district has AC, but not the high school. Yet again, secondary education gets the short end of the stick.

I don't know if this is true, but a custodian told a colleague that one little part is all it would take to add AC capabilities to our current heaters. I can't believe they couldn't budget for one little easy fix like that (plus energy costs, but it's totally worth it in my opinion.) I feel like we should have gone home yesterday. Maybe when someone passes out...

ETA: Oh, and don't EVEN get me started on the fact that the main office is air conditioned. Elitists...

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2010

They're expecting a high of 96 today, and our classrooms don't have AC.

It's the first day of freshman orientation.

But AC simply doesn't make economic sense around here-- we have 3 or 4 days a year that are brutal, maybe another 6 or 8 that are uncomfortable.

Our cafeteria has AC, as does the faculty room and the offices. (And all our administrators teach, so they're in the classrooms as well.)

We'll get through. I'm wearing a cotton skirt and T, with comfy shoes. And I'm passing on blowing my hair dry today.

Tomorrow looks to be more comfortable before the excitement starts on Thursday.

7. letsteach

letsteach Comrade

Sep 1, 2010

A lot of state schools here have a/c simply because the P&C have raised funds to purchase them. The running cost comes out of school budget and fundraising throughout the year (normally the school disco).

I am sure more parents might volunteer at school if it means they can get out of the heat and be cool without having to pay for it.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2010

No a/c in most elementary schools here, although some high schools do have it. The kids start on Tuesday, so we are all in off and on working in our classrooms this week. It was brutal yesterday and I'm expecting worse today--think it will be a short one at school.

9. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 1, 2010

First day of school here expected high 94. We don't have A/C. Another reason why we shouldn't start until after Labor day. haha

10. gigi

gigi Groupie

Sep 1, 2010

No a/c here, I brought in two fans to just move the air around. The local high school does allow their teachers to bring in their personal a/c units, and some have done that. It has been brutal these past few days.

11. dovian

dovian Comrade

Sep 1, 2010

This afternoon the thermometer in my room read over 90. It was sweltering and I couldn't get anything done in my room today. Spent most of the day hanging out in places that were slightly cooler.

If the kids had been in they might have let us out early. But since it was just the teachers I guess they didn't care.

12. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Sep 1, 2010

It actually got to 96 in my room today. And with the humidity it felt like a tropical rainforest in there!

13. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Sep 1, 2010

Do you have windows that open to catch a breeze if one blows by? It's been the hottest summer in recorded history here in Arkansas, it's been over 90 over 100 days! We've had about 30 days with it being 100+.

14. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Sep 1, 2010

My first year I was pg & we had open house & no a/c... there was a heat warning or something because of the heat & humidity... it felt like 100+!!! Not fun!!! I certainly had that "glow"!!! LOL!!!

15. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Sep 1, 2010

We lucked out and received ACs this year. My heart goes out to the children and teachers who have to be in this heat. Last year I taught in an extremely hot room that had 1 outlet so I had 1 fan.

16. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Sep 1, 2010

CPS also opposes to use "snow days" when it snows! (Or the windchill is -40). So just wait.

I have worked in the district 7 years- only one with A/C. First year taught summer school when it was 104 out on Sunday followed by a 99 degree Monday! (The old buildings always feel like yesterday)- we went OUTSIDE all day because it was cooler in 99 degree weather.

Today I drank like 50 oz of water and still came home dehydrated.

The old buildings are very hard to retrofit with AC because of all the building codes etc. Plus many of the schools might not be able to support the electrical need.

I have always wanted to be track E- but then these few weeks of prepping the classroom reminds me of why I am thankful to be regular track. I'm also thankful that it is a requirement that Pre-K and K be on the first floor.

17. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Sep 1, 2010

18. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Sep 1, 2010

:banghead: :wow:

So many schools without proper working conditions!

But nice staying positive! I am really excited for October. Fall is my favorite season.

Edit: And Turtle, I see the benefits if regular track too, but I do LOVE track e. Even if it feels like a hairdryer in your face for a while. We get out for two weeks at the end of September! :woot:

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 2, 2010

OOOhhh, yes!

My homeroom faces to the east. So in the mornings, I open all the windows, then point the vertical blinds so the sunlight stays mostly out. After about 11 am I can open them fully. And both classroom doors stay open all day to catch any breeze that might be in the hallway. And the ceiling fans are running all day.

And I LOVE snow days!!!!

20. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Sep 2, 2010

I've never had one (grew up in Florida). Every year I say "we're gonna have a snow day" and I am going to stay at home- drink coffee in my pajamas, watch a movie and bake cookies." Though from the articles posted above- we'll never have one.

21. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Sep 2, 2010

No AC for us either. By noon it's just gross! I have showered every day this week when I get home. Our new admin was suprised... :)

22. gigi

gigi Groupie

Sep 2, 2010

One of the cities here in NH canceled school today and tomorrow due to the heat! We are wilting fast in the classroom and I think that is such a good idea as we have no a/c and the fans just aren't helping.

23. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Sep 2, 2010

No A/C here either. Tuesday we had a full day of classes and were told to "go to the cafeteria (where there is AC) to stay cool." But 200+ kids in one room trying to hold multiple classes? Craziness. We got a 1:00 dismissal the next day though. The rooms are warm today, but not 90+ degrees.

24. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Sep 2, 2010

My thermostat in my room has read 95 every day this week. I am so glad to be out of there for the weekend. I just felt sick.

We got a grant to convert to 1:1 laptops over the next few years. The kids say they would rather have AC. lol

25. stargirl

stargirl Companion

Sep 2, 2010

No A/C in my building either, and it's been in the mid 90's all week. Plus, my school is an old brick building that retains the heat and not all the windows open so it feels way hotter than the actual temperature. Yesterday was a "code red" day so we weren't supposed to take the kids outside for recess...but it wasn't any cooler inside the building!
    Today was still hot but not as bad as yesterday.

26. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Sep 2, 2010

In FL, of course, every school has A/C.

When the A/C is broken - school-wide - class is canceled. It's simply too dangerous to have nearly 2,000 students in a building where the OUTSIDE heat index is over 100.

However, it makes for really interesting days when the HEAT is broken... 55 is awfully cold to Floridians. Especially when many of the kids don't even OWN jackets or sweaters :lol:

27. gigi

gigi Groupie

Sep 2, 2010

Dismissed early today along with other districts, temps in the classroom over 100 degrees. WHEW! I felt sick.

28. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Sep 2, 2010

29. rdgrocks

rdgrocks Rookie

Sep 2, 2010

I'm in Texas and, needless to say, we have AC. However,
    I can't believe you have to teach in those conditions! That is so unsafe for you and the kiddos!

You have my sympathies...I praying for a cold front for all of you!!

30. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Sep 2, 2010

It was the first week for us and I hate it because we did very little because it was just too hot, and I was cranky and so were the kids so I don't know that we really got off on the best foot.

I think what really annoys me is what public building can you think of that DOESN'T have AC? Malls, grocery stores, movie theaters, post offices, the DMV - I can't think of one public building that doesn't have AC besides a kid. What message does that send to kids about how much we care about their education?