Shout Out Your <3 for Your A to Z Pals

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Amanda, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Jun 25, 2009

A to Z is all about supporting our friends and colleagues... so share what you <3 about your friends here...

:atoz_love:

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 25, 2009

Thanks, Amanda!! I was just about to post something like this!

I love all the supportive people who have been with me through my job search process, the after-party gals, INteacher, jw, leighbball, lilmisses, mmswm, TeacherGroupie, DHE, etc. I love those that share all their ideas with us here. Jem, thanks for putting yourself out here and making us aware that sometimes taking risks works out for the best.

4. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jun 25, 2009

Shout out to leighball and smalltowngal for keeping up the 2009 job listings and lemonhead for the 2008 one. It is a never ending job. Hopefully stg will be able to list herself as the next one getting a job. Good luck on Monday.

5. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 25, 2009

This one's for Amanda - you always remain diplomatic no matter what! You respect all teachers and provide a wonderful resource for us all. You support those of us who are cantankerous and miserable, as well as those who are positive and affirming. You are a great role model for teachers working with all kinds of kids. :love:

6. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 25, 2009

I LOVE this place and EVERYone here!
    Bandnerd for cracking me up with her tweets.
    Chemteach for being my southern go-to for DyKnow questions.

Special shout out to those that keep the HS and secondary ed threads going!

7. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jun 25, 2009

ku_alum for keeping us all up to date on technology issues.

Alice for answering all the Disney questions above and beyond the call of duty.

Amanda for keeping a large group of teachers sane and civil--not an easy job.

8. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jun 25, 2009

even though I haven't been around as much lately, I appreciate everyone's great advice and thoughts about teaching! You know this is the place I'll be when I need lots of ideas for fall!!

9. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jun 25, 2009

I love this site and everyone on it. I love all the constructive and helpful advice and that everyone seems very excited with each other's success. I appreciate that we can all have different views and feel free to voice them.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 25, 2009

Hey everyone! Honestly, this is my favorite board of the boards I participate in & I'll continue to try to start fun & interesting threads for all to enjoy! I also love responding to your posts. We may not all agree w/ everything, but it's great that we have the respect for ea other to not criticize or backlash. :)

I appreciate those who've replied when I ask for help/suggestions/info! :love:

11. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 25, 2009

I'm glad we've got the guys on here for their perspective on issues. :)

12. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 25, 2009

So many people on this site have been amazing to me. I can't tell you the amount of PM's I received earlier in the year when I was dealing with my home issues. People sent me lesson plans, and someone, I forget the screen name, sent me BOOKS for my room. (Forgive me for not remembering the name...)

I get a so many great ideas from KU and Jem to use in my classroom, and SmallTownGal cracks me up. Alice is always such a great voice of wisdom.

I love this place!

13. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Jun 25, 2009

I'm glad we have a huge age range of people to give different perspectives on different issues. I love that I can talk and discuss with teachers my age, as well as seasoned teachers too!

14. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jun 25, 2009

I appreciate Crzy_ArtTeacher for referring to those of us who have been on the earth a little longer than others as seasoned!:):)

15. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Jun 25, 2009

I am so glad to have this site in general....everyone post from the heart and takes the extra step to help...I am more of a reader and don't know what I would do without this site and all these great teachers (posters).....because we all are teaching eachother in one way or another...!

16. Lindsnh

Lindsnh Companion

Jun 25, 2009

I love how I can come here and get advice on relationships, school issues, and family issues. I can always come here and vent too!:p Everyone is always supportive and kind. Which is why :atoz_love:

17. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 25, 2009

I appreciate how supportive everyone is on this site and how there are so many posters here that go out of their way to be help others when they need it.

18. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 25, 2009

:thumb:

I'm still not sure exactly where I 'fit in' in the community even though I've been around awhile. I enjoy reading the different opinions, and I chime in when I feel like adding something.

19. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 25, 2009

I love that I can go here for pretty much anything I might need, be it related to teaching, family, or just life in general. I love "chatting" in the time out section. In addition to my regular e-mail, and the news, this is a site I check pretty much every morning. So to all of you who have read my posts and offered advice when asked - thanks!

20. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jun 25, 2009

There aren't many "guys" on this forum..... This is not scientific but I would venture to say that of all the posts on AtoZ 99% are made by the "gals." And that's sad.... education (and this forum) needs more men.

Why is it that men decide early on in college to do something other than teach? During the first couple of years of college I thought I would be a "coach." Never did I think of myself as a teacher. But I moved away from the desire to coach..... or have anything to do with "schools." I went into the corporate world.... (well there was a Vietnam detour before that)..... I retired from the corporate world... and years after retiring started my "teaching" career. I love it. Too bad there aren't more men teachers......

Major......:):)

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 25, 2009

22. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jun 25, 2009

I'm a guy! I love this forum, there is no other place where we can argue (say ohh about grading policies) in such a civil manner.

23. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Jun 25, 2009

Thought my fellow posters would like that vocabulary choice. :)

24. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jun 25, 2009

There are so many that are supportive here. STG, no matter how down she is, she is still here encouraging us all. BT for teaching us so many things about blindness, cNg for her knowledge on hearing impaired, Jem for her creative ideas and for starting Sprout, Dave for his many songs, Alice for her very sound advice and looking out for all of us with Internet safety, and we can't forget the after party girls.

Last but not least, a great big shout to Amanda for starting this FANTASTIC site.

25. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jun 25, 2009

I agree, it is finances and it is a shame. My hubby would love to teach and he would be great at it but we could not live like we do on 2 teachers salaries. What is a real shame is that DH's secretary (who does not have a college degree) makes more money than I do.

26. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jun 25, 2009

I am so grateful to this board! I was a lurker while job hunting (after a long time away from the classroom) and I learned something from every single posting. I learned from the recent grads and from the seasoned professionals (esp. Alice). When the right job came along, I excelled at the interview because of all of you. I don't always have a lot to say, but I still read everything and I am still learning from you all. Thanks!

27. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jun 25, 2009

I've made some great friends and gotten some great advice

28. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Jun 25, 2009

I'm the same way....I lurk most of the time and enjoy the back and forth of some topics.

I love the comprehensiveness (is that a word???) of this site. I always do my first search here and then go to google. :)

29. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 25, 2009

My husband once was very shocked when he saw how many posts I had wracked up on this site. He said, of all the years he's been on the internet and visted forums, he's never ever even gotten remotely close. Well, it's that high because I love sharing and asking questions, and venting, and listening to others vent!!!!

:)

30. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jun 25, 2009

Thanks to everyone on this board. I love being able to ask questions and get answers no matter what time of day it is. You also entertain me in the time out threads.

Infact I recently told the teachers I work at the only friends I have are from A to Z or two from college. I have no friends in my area to go do things with. So if I am not grocery shopping with my mom or my kids I am on here checking in with all of you.

31. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jun 25, 2009

That's me, too. Geez, it took me 4 years to get to 1000 posts!

In summer of 2006 I was looking for my first teaching job. That's when Amanda started the Job Seekers sub-forum. All of the wonderful advice I read, along with the mock interviews and the resume critiquing, helped me out immensely during the 8 interviews it took to finally land that position! I'll always be grateful to Alice and Miss Frizzle (don't know where she went!) for their help and encouragement during that difficult time!

32. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 27, 2009

I wouldn't even admit how much time I spend on here. After checking my e-mail it's usually the first place I go. I love getting ideas to use in the classroom, being able to vent and just plain sharing stories. I feel like people's personalities come through even just in text on a screen. There are many times lesson plans or grades didn't get done :whistle: because I was here.

33. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Jun 27, 2009

I love how everyone is always willing to pitch in from education questions to personal everyday life events.

34. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jun 27, 2009

I agree with you! It's a nice place to ask/share with so many great people that don't act immature/use bad language etc !

35. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 27, 2009

I'm going to give Becky an individual shout-out.

Becky, after my first week of homeschool a single student, my respect for you has gone from 100% to 1,000%. When in a classroom, you have a sense of structure and know you can ONLY spend 40 minutes on math because you must move and cover everything-there are many reasons to keep to your planned itenerary. I'm discovering that with one child, there are constant struggles and second-guessings involved-do I break their focus so we can move on? How important is it that we really get through everything today? We always have tomorrow... I'm sure I'll get better at it, but I've been thinking a lot about you this week and sending you plenty of mental kudos. It's also exhausting (and wonderful! but exhausting!) to only be with one child/student all day. You are giving Jeanie the most wonderful gift in the world, and I hope you feel some renewed energy from this post.

I'm also going to send some love to my fellow CA A-Zers. These past two years have been tough as I adjust to a very different educational culture in this new state (yes, it's VERY different than Michigan). TeacherShelly, Sarge, Peachyness, Erin Elizabeth, Golden Poppy, Katenar, Mrs. I and so many others I'm forgetting at the moment have given me encouragement that there are great teachers in this state. Of course there are! But it's hard to feel that when your schools are petri dishes of negativity. I love you all, and I hope we can all meet someday. I know TeacherShelly and I have had some great afternoons together, so hopefully we can organize a state-wide get-together at some point.

I love everyone on this site, and will probably post more in the future. Those are just the two shout-outs that come to mind.

36. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 27, 2009

Haven't been on too much this weekend, so let me say I have to share the love to everyone, especially on the Teacher Time Out Board. I love getting advice about non-teaching topics from teachers - because no matter what the issue is, that fact that I am a teacher always factors into it somehow!

Esp thanks to Maryhf for helping me learn about some districts in my new job search.

37. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jun 27, 2009

I would l ike to thank everyone on this site for everything...whether it be advice to me when I was switching from middleschool to kindergarten, help with things I didn't really absorb in college because I never thought it would apply to me :lol:, or just open "ears" when I am panicking about trying something new. I love how this site is so flexible. Where else can you go on the web and talk about your dog's surgery and get tons of support while at the same time getting great classroom management ideas. I absolutely love a-z! Thank you, everybodeee! :)

38. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jun 27, 2009

Jem! Thank you so much for that thoughtful shout out!:wub: You're working with a hser? Chick- you should have flown here to Maryland!!! I'd have cleaned toilets to be able to hire you to work with Jeannie! She'd like your pink hair, too!:cool:

The hser you're working with is fortunate to have you, because with your background, that student will get exactly what he/she needs.

Thank you again, Jem!:hugs:

39. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jun 27, 2009

I've said this before, but I'll say it again-
    I appreciate how everyone here treats me like an equal. Even when threads came up where hsing was questioned, I felt like for the most part everyone was kind.
    I always appreciate the advice I get here. I know for a fact that had it not been for the guidance I got here, I couldn't have hs'd this long.

We'll start our 5th year in August. Girlfriend is a fourth grader!

I appreciate how everyone understands I want the best for Jeannie and maybe even more than the best. Thanks also for being kind even if I've been approaching something the wrong way with her schooling.

It has been a pleasure to be in everyone's company all this time!

40. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jun 27, 2009

Wow...where to start...I don't even know. Just tonight the gals of the afterparty brought me to tears with their generosity and selflessness.

As for the rest of the forum, I enjoy everybody's opinions and input, even those I don't agree with, and even with I'm cranky and miserable (I think I owe a few of you apologies for my recent bad moods). Y'all put up with me regardless.

41. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Jun 28, 2009

I'm in the same boat with people who say they don't know where their "fit" is with this forum, but they still love it wholeheartedly. I'm the same way---most of the time I just lurk and voice my opinion occasionally. This is a super forum with amazing people!