Should We Teach in Kindergarten the Way We Teach in Second Grade?

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by HeadStart.Teach, Feb 18, 2009.

1. HeadStart.Teach

HeadStart.Teach Rookie

Feb 18, 2009

Should We Teach in Kindergarten the Way We Teach in Second Grade? Why or Why Not?

3. old-new teacher

old-new teacher Comrade

Feb 18, 2009

Do you mean as far as the way you present materials, or the way you handle classroom management?

Kindergarten is at a much different place than 2nd graders are developmentally. I teach 2nd grade, and I can tell you, that my visits to the K room reveal how different the 2 age levels really are. Kindergarten students are still learning how to act responsibly and socially, so the way things are presented come differently too. You have to make adjustments to each class, no matter what the grade, because the dynamics change from group to group as well. I don't know if that is what you wanted or not, but it's my 2 cents worth anyway! :)

4. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Feb 18, 2009

In a word: no.

Kindergarteners need active time, time to explore and play and observe their way to learning. I think so many kindergarten teachers are pushed (by NCLB) into making kindergarten this academic time of desk work and worksheets, which, in my opinion, is not what kindergarten should be for. Kindergarten, in an ideal situation, is for learning how to get along with peers, learning social routines, learning how to play with new materials, how to follow directions, how to behave in a school environment. Yes, academics should be part of that, but not the only part, and not the biggest part.

I don't have much experience with second grade, but I know that they are now mostly adjusted to the school environment. They have most of those social skills in place that they need to thrive at school, and they can begin to be more focused on academics. However, I do still advocate that second graders need active time, time in small groups, time spend doing projects and active learning. Just because they're older, doesn't mean that they should be listening to lectures all day long.

:Steps off of soapbox: :)

5. letty21

letty21 Rookie

Feb 19, 2009

Well kindergarden is for children to learn the easy way in school, like their colors, numbers and shape. They are still little and their brain are still growing, i think second grader are more harder and the children in second grade do alot more work. My niece is seven years old and she is in 1st grade, she doesn't like it because she needs to spell her words five times each, and she also takes a test every friday, she love beginning in pre-k and kindergarden, but children grow and need to learn new things in school, thats what i told my niece that its going to get harder when she gets older. Kindergarden should always be fun for all the children, because when they go to 1st and 2nd grade it does get harder. So i think you should not teach the kindergarden, the same way you teach second grader's, because children are still growing and learning new things in school.