Should twins be placed together or separated?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by forkids, Apr 19, 2007.

1. forkids

forkids Cohort

Apr 19, 2007

Looking for opinions/experiences with this situation. We have had this situation twice in the past and amazingly have several sets of twins enrolled for next year. What's your experience or opinion of what is best for the kids?

3. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Apr 19, 2007

hmm... where in ga are you because this sounds like my classroom!! we have a set of twins who their parents have requested for them to be in the same classroom each year.. but the two can't stand it! they always want to be away from one another! i think i would ask the kids honestly...

4. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 19, 2007

There are two different opinions I have heard one this:
    set 1: twins should be in the same class because than one doesn't end up behind the because teachers do not teach the same.
    set 2: Twins shouldn't be in the same classroom because one twin is usually dominate, and does all the learning and the other twin just tags along behind (I have observed this myself).

I'm on the fence. I really think it depends on the personalities of the twins.

5. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Apr 19, 2007

i agree jamie. I know my twins in my classroom, one is slightly ahead in language arts and reading while the other is ahead in science and math. so it highly depends on the twins themselves but whenever we move around the desks they ask to be on the opposite sides of the room from each other.

6. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Apr 19, 2007

my aunt decided to seperate her twins so they could experience different classrooms and develope new friends. She felt that they spend so much time together they could use a break at school. I think it depends on the students and parents view.

7. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Apr 19, 2007

It completely depends on the personalities of the twins. I have 4 sets of twins this year (yes, four!) in my afternoon class. One set is are ESOL and are very, very timid. I think they need another year together so that they gain some comfort level in school. One set has one twin that is really dominant, and is also highly competitive with his twin. That set should be apart. The other two sets would be ok either way.
    Kim

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 19, 2007

Our policy is to separate whenever possible (unless keeping them together is very important to the parent). Only once have I taught twins who were in the same class-- they moved to our school partway during the year after an ugly separation; they were kept together for the rest of that school year to give them some stability, but were separated after that. This year, we have triplets in our JK; they have been split between 3 classes.

9. JenL

JenL Comrade

Apr 19, 2007

i think parents like them to be in the same room because it is easier on them...one homework assignment...one newsletter about important events and so on.....
    i disagree with this and think it is best for twins to be seperated and it really can't be that much more work for the parents.

10. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Apr 19, 2007

When I had a parent make that complaint (I'd have to remember TWO different gym days, TWO media days, TWO everything!) I reminded her that most families with more than one child do have to remember multiple schedules and they seem to manage.
    Kim

11. Mldouglas

Mldouglas Comrade

Apr 19, 2007

I have seen it done both ways!!!

In my experience I have seen it go both ways. I know of some instances where the parents wanted the children to be together. I also know of a specific instance where the parents purposely wanted the children separated so they would socialize with other kids. From a teacher stand point, if they were identical twins I would not want both in the same class because I would forever be mixing them up.

Marci D,

12. MzB

MzB Rookie

Apr 19, 2007

At my school, twins are separated, unless its unavoidable, like in Head Start, when we only have one class. One thing that's hard when the twins are together is one twin may get upset if the other twin gets a special priviledge and they don't, or other things like that. By spliting them up, they're able to assume their own identities, and become individuals, instead of just "Twin".

With identical twins, even though they look the same, they are two different people. Most times they do not act alike, and a lot of times they may not learn alike, so spliting them up allows them to be themselves, and not be compared to the other, "Well your twin did it perfectly, what's wrong with you?". Personally, I wouldn't want to be in the same class, I'll see the other one at lunch and recess!!:D

13. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 19, 2007

Last year I had twins that were placed in my room. They not only looked EXACTLY alike, mommy also dressed them EXACTLY alike. Both were VERY low, one was a bit more talkative than the other, but both were very shy. When I first got them, I split them into different groups during centers. Well, one was fine with it and did her work, but the other just stood in the middle of the room and refused to budge. It got better as the year went on and they both imrpoved academically. I really feel that mom should have split them though. I think it did more harm for them to be in the same room. They depended on each other too much and only really played with each other. They didn't really have any friends in the class, although they did work with other students if they had to.

In this same class, I had two other girls who had a twin that was in the other kinder teacher's class. One of the girls who were twins were in the same kinder class last year. They had to repeat kinder and mommy and daddy decided that splitting them up would help them. It did.

The other set had HUGE seperation issues. It was horrible. They would cry and cry. Eventually, that got better too and they learned to make friends and not be so dependant on each other.

14. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 19, 2007

Oh, and with the two twins in my room, I always got them mixed up. One time, I was doing a one on one test and tought I was testing one girl when after I had tested her, I said, good job A! Then she said, I'm not A, I'm B!!!! She was very upset. PLUS all of her information was in the other girls test book!!! GAH

15. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 19, 2007

Twins should always be separated so they can develop their own personalities and friendships.

16. Kindtchr

Kindtchr Comrade

Apr 19, 2007

I had quadruplets all in the same kindergarten class twice (different years). The only way they could have been split up was to have 2 in the a.m. session and 2 in the p.m. session as we only had one kindergarten class. The parents didn't want to do that- I think they wanted a little time to themselves. But they asked me to try to keep them as separate as I could. I did split them into separate groups. In first grade they were split into 2 different classes. Parent conferences were interesting-I'd give them a block of time and discuss one child at a time.
    The same situation with twins- some years I have had only one kindergarten session so they had to be together. If there were 2 first grade classes they would be separated then. We usually leave it up to the parents if there is a choice.

17. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 20, 2007

When I had identical twins in my room, I could tell them apart when I saw them both together or when they were in their seats (in different parts of the room). Whenever one came up to ask me a question, I either said, "I'll come and help you at your seat", or I frantically looked around the room and saw the other twin, then I knew who I was talking to.

18. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Apr 20, 2007

We have 3 sets of twins on our team this year, and 2 are identical, the other are not. They are all split up.

I have 2 of the identical ones. It is hard because the parents complain because of their child having different homework, activities, etc.

I would separate them though. One of my identical twins has never been separated from his twin before. They needed some time apart I think to help build confidences.

19. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 20, 2007

Don't worry about parents complaining about differences in homework. Twins need to be seperated. I've had lots of twins through the years and have tried both ways. They always do better when apart in the classroom. They learn to rely on themselves instead of their twin.

20. BeckyPie7

BeckyPie7 Companion

Apr 20, 2007

I'm a twin and I have to say that it was good for me to be seperate from my sister. I was the introvert of the two and I relied on my sister for everything. Being in seperate classrooms helped me pull away from that a bit. This way we had different friends and I had to be assertive and learn how to exist away from my sister. In High School we never had the same classes and we both did great in school. Now we're both teachers! haha As for homework. I don't remember that being a big issue because my parents, no matter what happened, always took the teacher's side and homework, no matter how much, had to be done as soon as we got home. We both knew it and we both did it.

21. maryvilgrl

maryvilgrl Rookie

Apr 20, 2007

I am a twin as well and my brother and I were always separated from Kindergarten on up. My parents requested that we be split up because they did not want us to be "the twins" instead they wanted us to have our own identities. I think this worked out great and my parents never had any problems with having two conferences, two sets of homework etc. I think twins should be separated and that is coming from my experience of being a twin. In middle school, we were on the same team, but didn't have classes together very often. They made sure we had different home room teachers and when we went to other classes they tried as hard as they could not to put us together. In high school we did have a few classes together because of how the scheduling worked, but our teachers never seemed to compare us, but we did have a little competition between each other. I think it was definitely beneficial for us to be split up when we were younger. My brother always followed what I did, so it was good for him to gain some independence.

22. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Apr 20, 2007

Twins in our school are allowed to be together in K (but do not have to be) and must be seperated starting in first grade....I think it is a good thing.....they must have time to develop thier own personalities & friendships!

23. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

Apr 20, 2007

I have a set of twins in my class. We only have 1 1st grade so they have to be together. I know girl A could handle being without her sister in the class, but girl B would have a total break down! (yet girl B is more of a leader in the classroom.) I think that if it was a possibility, my twins would benefit from being apart.

24. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Apr 20, 2007

I'm an identical twin--my sister and I were always separated. My parents tried hard to let us develop our own personalities and social circles, and school was a big part of that. We shared some friends, but we definitely had our own interests and activities, and it was great to have a break from eachother during the day.