Should teachers be paid for other duties?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Southern JC, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Southern JC

Southern JC Companion

Jul 28, 2010

Ok, need a minute to vent.

I got my schedule last week and was surprised to see that I will be teaching a new class and cosponsoring another club. :( No big deal right? That's what I've been telling myself, but the more I think of all the responsibilites I have, I get upset. I spend three days a week after school with my club and just don't see how I'll be able to give more time to another group. I talked to my P about it and she was absolutely no help. I discussed my schedule and everything that I do, but she seems to think that I have time for it all! :confused: I even discussed giving the club to a teacher who does not sponsor ANY clubs. I feel used and abused. Oh and I forgot to mention, other duties that I'm responsible for include working sporting events (everyone must work at least three) and two beauty pageants (only high school teachers).

Coaches are paid a great deal to coach teams. Considering this, do you think teachers should be paid to sponsor clubs or perform other duties that are not directly connected to academics? (Thanks for letting me vent.)

3. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2010

In all of the districts around here, teachers are paid for clubs.

4. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Jul 28, 2010

Here we are not paid but it is also our choice to do it or not. Coaches are also not paid here. Some schools give extra prep time to those who do a lot of extra-curricular stuff.

5. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2010

Here coaches get a stipend, and every teacher has an unpaid extra duty. Some of us are club advisors, and some do coverage of class periods (if another teacher needs to be gone for an appointment or meeting). Our club meetings take place during lunch, so it's not an after-school obligation. There's no way my P would push a club on a teacher who didn't want it--do you have a contract that spells out extra duties?

6. hawkteacher

hawkteacher Comrade

Jul 28, 2010

I wish I got paid for more of the extras that I take on! I do get paid for a club that I run and for being a mentor, but not for the other committees that I am involved in. I get your vent though, sometimes it feels like there are teachers who just don't take on as much as everyone else.

7. eddygirl

eddygirl Companion

Jul 28, 2010

At our school, teachers are given a stipend to moderate a club/activity. However, as the director of Student Activities, I am often approached by kids who want to start a "new" club. They must have a teacher moderator to start a club. Since these clubs come and go, I tell the intended moderator that he/she is asked to do the first year gratis; if the club lasts through a second year, a stipend will be arranged.

All our moderators volunteer for their clubs/activities. Although some have been asked to take on a duty, no one is ever "forced" to moderate. There are usually enough moderators to cover all the activities, and if no one volunteers, that club becomes "inactive."

Since I oversee 30 clubs and moderators, I am privy to meeting dates, number of students involved, etc. Most of our clubs (except for Drama during their major performances) meet once a week, or even every other week. What kind of club do you moderate that requires three meetings a week?

8. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 29, 2010

I don't know if I'll get paid for my two clubs this year. Yet... the thing about your post that irks me is that there are teachers who do not sponsor any clubs. I find that highly unfair if they expect you to meet with your one 3 times a week and then the other as well. Even with mine, in elementary, my first club meets 1 time a week (2 as it gets closer to finishing important things), and the other one meets once every 2-3 weeks, which basically works out in the end.

9. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 29, 2010

My district gives a standard stipend for club sponsors, but coaches get quite a bit more. I think that you are being used.

How long have you been at this school? Have you been there long enough to say to your P, "Look, I just can't do X this year. You are going to have to find someone else."

10. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jul 29, 2010

Absolutely they should if it's outside contractual hours! What does your contract say about this?

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 29, 2010

My school has an extra duty salary schedule, with every extra duty we have on it. Everything from cheerleading sponsor to yearbook advisor, to class sponsors to all the coaches. Everything that is not in the contracted hours. This way if you stick with a club/sponsor/coaching duty, you can move up the scale every year, just like your regular salary.

12. treysmom

treysmom Comrade

Jul 29, 2010

I feel that if you are sponsoring a class, club, etc. you should be paid. In our school stipends are given to coaches for coaching, assisting coaching and "extra" days. Principals are given stipends for having so many students, having so many teachers that they observe as well as attending away sporting events. Some of their "stipends" total up more than some people make in an entire year of working in our town in other jobs. On the other side, we have cheer sponsors who sponsor both basketball & football squads but each only receive one stipend.

13. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jul 29, 2010

We are not paid for clubs but then doing them is completely voluntary and done on your terms (you choose the kids, the activities, the times). A few years back our Headteacher tried to force staff into clubs and the number of clubs went down as staff just pulled out.

A few years before that OFSTED (our school inspectors) came in and announced that they would be inspecting all clubs as well as the rest of the school, the staff cancelled all clubs for the week they were in. We had no objection to being inspected for what we are paid to do but were not going to allow the inspectors to grade us on things we do out of the goodness of our hearts!

14. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 29, 2010

All the districts around here offer supplementals for coaching and clubs. Some pay better than others, but they are voluntary and you know up front what the amount is.

I don't think you have any recourse about teaching a new class, but an after hours club should be optional.

15. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 29, 2010

Ours is similar. We get a supplemental that is a percent of the base salary. I think the supplementals range from about 15% to 3%.

16. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2010

Ditto. Organizing and supervising clubs, coaching, etc. are all done on a voluntary basis and only happen if there are staff willing to help out.

17. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 29, 2010

Same here. Have you checked your contract? Have you spoken with your union rep (if you have one)? Does the club have anything to do with the new class you will be teaching? Maybe that is why your P made you cosponsor without asking you first (although IMO still not a reason to GIVE you a club without your consent)? This would royally torque me off!!

18. Unbeknownst

Unbeknownst Cohort

Jul 29, 2010

If the first time you saw your sponsorship responsibilities was on your schedule, then I have a problem with this. Outside responsibilities should be on a voluntary basis.

With that being said, I'm one of those old codgers that thinks "additional" duties comes with the territory and should be looked at as a chance to pursue your "additional" interests rather than something as "Okay, when do I get paid?"

I think we as teachers naturally gravitate towards doing things we love, so a voluntary system works rather nicely in the educational field.

So far, I've volunteered to coach three different UIL events:

1. Ready Writing
    2. History
    3. Current Events

Being a politlcal science major and an English nerd, these are right up my alley and thinking about them really brings out the geeky glee in me ;)

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2010

OP:

Read your contract, read your contract, read your contract!!

20. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 29, 2010

Wow, I'm really surprised at the number of people who are paid for facilitating clubs. We are not :(. I stay after school an extra hour and a half 3 days a week with no extra pay. Ours, however are completely voluntary-our P would never demand someone take on something like that.

I also agree it's unfair some teachers seem to do everything extra while others can leave right at the bell. I often here "well, you don't have kids!" which makes me even more mad! :mad: One of the admins did ask me to take on something else last year and I flat out told her, why don't you ask someone who is not already running 3 clubs.

If I didn't do it though, they wouldn't have them and 2 of them are reading clubs and one is for our ESL kids, so call me a sucker but I will continue to do it for free, for the kids.

21. Unbeknownst

Unbeknownst Cohort

Jul 29, 2010

In the long run, I think you come out ahead.

Those other teachers who never take on additional tasks and are constantly trying to earn a buck have a job.

You, who work at your school and make an effort to make a difference in your students' life, both inside and outside the classroom, have a career.

In the end, you'll have a much more fulfilling time doing what you love. Getting paid is just the bonus :)

22. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jul 29, 2010

Central IL doesn't pay extra for sponsoring a club that I'm aware of. I remember being a green teacher a couple years ago and that's one of the q's the P asked me, "What can you do for the school?" My thought was, "...teach?" lol He meant what clubs can you sponsor. I told him it was my first year and I just wanted to get the hang of things before doing extra activities - but that I would help out with art club.

So our admin "encourages" teachers to help out after hours without pay. I started working at a new school last year and they assign each teacher for different afterschool events like dances and so on - so that it's fair. But you still have that one teacher who gets to back out of everything. Grrr

Last year I was on the PBIS committee (lame) and almost did want to start some sort of afterschool club for the kids - - but couldn't think of anything other than a "cooking club" which I thought the kids might not be interested in. Then I wondered where I would get the money for said cooking. Then I thought about the fact that these would be GEN ED KIDS and I'm a SPED TEACHER. And I'm pretty sure they'd frown on "special ed kids ONLY" you know...

23. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 29, 2010

If outside your contract then you should get paid. This working for free thing always irritates me. Walmart pushes their employees to work off the clock and they get fined. School districts do it and its ok because "it's for the kids." Yes I am a teacher but I too also have a family. When do all the extras stop?

My hubby has been teaching a lot longer than me. In the beginning he volunteered a lot. In the end he felt abused so he cut back. We can still be professionals and have lives.

24. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2010

It depends on what your contract says. In my district, certain things are stipends and others are free. Our contract outlines that we have bus duty and such in our day. :hugs:

25. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2010

We would never be forced to sponsor a club.
    And I would not work a beauty pageant related to school.

26. kfhsdramaqueen

kfhsdramaqueen Rookie

Jul 29, 2010

I get a stipend, but

I totally understand your vent. We have a bunch of teachers who do nothing, show up right at 7:30 (which is late) and leave at 2:20 (which is early) I coach drama, and receive 800 dollars extra a year. At least it's something, but considering I practice almost everyday, some Saturdays, starting in August and running until late May, and stay during tech weeks until 10 p.m., and run district festival which is 5:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m., it is not equivalent when most of our sports coaches receive anywhere from 1500 to 2000 a year, and they only coach maybe two or three months. We are also required to work sporting events, and everyone is required to do a duty (lunch, bus, hallway, bathroom) Our administrators tell us it in the part of our contract that says "All other duties as assigned by school officials". I also am senior class sponsor and teach 3 different subjects. We are also required to tutor two days a week. I think it's dependent on the district you're in. I do think it's wrong to push a club onto a teacher. If you're not interested in it, you're going to be no help to teh students.

27. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 29, 2010

Most contracts state the stipends for various clubs/ activities. At my last school I chose to run musicals & did not get paid b-c I volunteered. We did have to volunteer for committees (Right to Read, Field Day, etc...). But some people still didn't do it and many of the committees did nothing anyway. It's all a matter of what the principal enforces. However I had to do bus duty (45 minutes a day) and did not get paid. The only issue I had with this is that several staff did not have a duty (or an equal duty). It is not right that the burden lays on some and not all!

28. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Jul 29, 2010

Exactly :thumb:

And it doesn't mean teachers are any less dedicated and committed to their students because they choose to not live at school.

Teachers are the only group expected to do demanding extras with no compensation for their time or expertise.

29. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jul 29, 2010

AMEN!! Just because we are salaried doesn't mean we should be taken advantage of NOR should we be made to feel guilty for not doing it because there are kids involved!

I remember one of our co-workers trying to find more teachers to teach after school and it was said to a friend of mine "well, you stay here late anyway..." um, she stays late to get things done! She doesn't have free time! ugh!

30. MissNikki

MissNikki Comrade

Jul 29, 2010

Do you teach private school? It is against NJ teachers' contracts to force them to advise clubs, etc. after school hours. You need to check your contract. We pick stipend positions, if we want to advise them, and are paid.

31. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2010

Beauty pageant?? Really?? A school-related beauty pageant??? I want some explanation on that one.

32. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Jul 29, 2010

As everyone has said, check your contract!!

At my school, many clubs do not have stipends, but coaching does, and some of the bigger clubs and activities, like Yearbook and the service club. We are not required to take on any of these things, especially if there's no stipend.

Since I'm the only Latin teacher I was led to believe that I had to run a Latin Club and Honor Society...however, it was semantics. In reality, if I refused to run them, they couldn't force me to. If it's not a paid position, there is no way contractually they can force us to do it. In fact, I don't think that they can force us to sponsor an activity after-hours even if it is paid. Check with your union rep. I really don't think the principal can force you to do this, esp if its unpaid. Keep in mind, however, that refusing to do it may alienate your principal somewhat.

33. rdgrocks

rdgrocks Rookie

Aug 8, 2010

Pay

I think teachers should be paid, but at my school, the pay is so ludicrous, it is almost a slap in the face. I have sponsored the busiest, most time-consuming club on campus for the last two years and had to split the stipend equally with two other teachers (I was the head advisor though, and the other teachers were both new teachers and didn't do much). I received $13 a month. No, that is not a typo!

Before I sound too bitter, I need to say that my P told that the club was part of my teaching assignment when I was hired. I love my school, my P and coworkers, so to me, it was sort of the price I had to pay to be in such a great position.

34. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Aug 9, 2010

All club advising in our district is tied to a stipend. This includes things like Academic Bowl, FCCLA, FBLA, FFA, Spanish Club, French Club, Science, Club, Art Club, Math Club, etc. It may not be a lot, but we do get paid. I think for most clubs it is about $800.
    We are also paid to work ball games - work the gate, scorekeeper, timekeeper, etc. That is usually $20-$25. Not a lot, but if your kid is playing and you are going to be there anyway, you might as well get a little cash. Most of the time, these jobs are claimed at the end of the year and no one is asked to do them that doesn't want to.

35. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2010

We have a few stipend positions (ASB, Spelling Bee Coordinator, etc.) but none for clubs. Shoot, I don't even get anything for being AVID Coordinator and I guarantee that takes more time than any club ever could.

However, I don't care. I could stop doing any/all of it at any time and the only people who'd be upset are my students. I'm more than happy to make the awful sacrifice on not getting a tiny stipend if it means they are more effective in my classroom each day.

I am greatly bothered by the teachers who won't. Teaching is a public service position. If you didn't get into it knowing that I have no sympathy for you. When we have less than 25% of the staff show up for zero day activities that really concerns me. Those who didn't are the same teachers who will complain that they don't have enough time to teach everything. That's right, because we end up doing all the non-academic stuff during paid hours because nobody will show up to take care of it otherwise. You can't have it both ways.

/rant

36. SunnyGal

SunnyGal Companion

Aug 9, 2010

We have a faculty handbook that outlines every club/event/duty and who has to coordinate and/or assist with it. It drives me nuts because whoever creates it isn't fair. There are teachers who only have 1 or 2 things assigned to them and others who seem to get stuck with everything.

Here's what I have this year (and no, we don't get paid):
    -Homecoming (supervise some of the kids during float building, as well as help with the halftime ceremony at the football game)
    -Co-sponsor a club for 9th grade honor roll students
    -Beauty pageant (Yep, we have one of those here)
    -Coordinate the end-of-year awards ceremony

37. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Aug 9, 2010

I get paid for if I want to do a club or help out after school with tutoring. It's not required and I don't think it should be. It's an opportunity to interact some more with the kids and make a little extra cash. If by viewing it that way I have a "job" not a "career", then I guess I am fine with that. I might be in a public service profession, but I will always put my own family's needs before the needs of work and that means I need to be home in the evening and on weekends. My husband is an accountant at a large firm and they would never ask him to do something completely unrelated at 6pm or on a Saturday, that might be rare, but it's all about choices.
    OP: If it's too much for you and you aren't required to do it in your contract, then tell your P you can't do X this year.

38. cmw

cmw Groupie

Aug 9, 2010

My first year at a school I was told I had to be the MC for the Awards ceremony. It was awful. The students were so disrespectful to their classmates. I was embarrassed for our school b-c this was in front of parents. I put my foot down the next year & said I would not be the MC. I felt the principal needed to be there & in charge of the crowd. Well guess what...no one wanted to do it so the all school awards ceremony did not happen the next 2 years.

39. SunnyGal

SunnyGal Companion

Aug 9, 2010

Oh wow! I'm so sorry you went through that! I did the awards ceremony last year. It's a lot of work, but I actually don't mind it. I make the program and script that outlines all scholarship/academic award recipients. Our principal is the MC. I can't imagine doing that as a teacher. Good for you for putting your foot down, though!:)