Should people with epilepsy teach?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Ellybean, Apr 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Apr 7, 2014

In my opinion, if there is any real risk of a person having a seizure, it would inappropriate for that person to each alone. Perhaps with an aide, but leaving a class unsupervised with a teacher having an imminent health risk, and one that can traumatic to watch, is inappropriate. I'm not sure how to measure or define someone as "seizure-free," but I would guess that having such a status would be important before placing the safety of children in one's care.

2. Loveslabs

Loveslabs Companion

Apr 7, 2014

Please don't tell the children and then inform the parents. Tell the parents first so they can talk to their children first if they so decide. Some parents may want to approach their children in a certain way regarding this issue.

Also, as a parent I would be very concerned if my child brought their version of your information home, and I am standing there with no idea of what they are talking about. I say this because kids don't always go home with the understanding that we want them to have.

3. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Apr 7, 2014

There was a sub in my school who had an epileptic seizure once while teaching. I think I was in middle school at the time. It wasn't in my class, but I remember hearing about it and how a student just pushed the call button for the office. Kids are resourceful, and after all, any of us could be incapacitated at any time given the wrong situation.

4. bros

bros Phenom

Apr 8, 2014

For me personally, I have seizures every 12-15 months, with severity varying from a seizure where I know what is happening, but my vision is very obscured and I need to sit down to full blown convulsive gran mal seizure. The former is more common than the latter (the latter has occurred once, in 1996). I've had around 20 seizures since 2005, with 18 of them being my vision obscured & needing to sit down and rest (along with taking half a pill of my meds). Two of them involved a loss of consciousness. There's no known trigger for my seizures and I never have any forewarning as to when a seizure will occur.

When I am in the classroom, I will make sure that the school nurse knows about my epilepsy, along with seeing if the nurse would want my emergency medications which can stop a seizure (One of them is so strong it has a risk of stopping my breathing)

5. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Apr 8, 2014

I had a teacher in high school who had epilepsy. She informed us all on the first day and let us know exactly what to do for her and how to call the office etc.... Kids are smart and resourceful. Even in elementary, they would be able to go next door for help if needed.

6. teach1

teach1 Companion

Apr 8, 2014

One time an overhead light fell onto my teacher's head and knocked her out cold. What did my classmates and I do? Immediately ran for help. Another time a teacher fainted. What did we do? We ran for help.
    Even the youngest of children will know to get help in case of an emergency.

to the OP.... if you want to teach, and believe that you will be a good teacher, GO FOR IT :)

7. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Apr 8, 2014

When I was younger ( twenties I am sure) I was playing softball with my 6 grade. I was running fast for a flyball and the grass was in damp clay. My feet went up and I landed on my @$$ very hard. Almost put me out and the pain was unreal. I looked up at all these eyes and hearing "are you OK coach" The kids were helpful and attentive. It is funny thinking about it now but Lord it hurt and I was helpless with them for awhile. Great kids at that school.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.