Should Morbid Childhood Obesity Be Considered Child Abuse?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by missjessica, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2011

If we are going to focus on parents who endanger their children by allowing them to eat too much unhealthy food, then we also need to focus on all kinds of ways we endanger children. How about those who text and drive? or those who smoke around children? or those who allow their drunk in laws to babysit? or those who eat messy tacos while driving? or those who don't provide ADHD medication to children who would succeed better on it? or those who don't get their kids swim lessons? or those who shoot off fireworks? or what about kids who are only 490 pounds overweight? Are their parents blameless? I could go on and on. Once we interfere in parenting, we open a big old can of worms.

2. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 15, 2011

Junk food is expensive! A bag of chips is $3, how much are cookies?

I try not to buy a lot of my fruits/veggies at the grocery store, but at the fruit/veggie market. It makes a huge
    difference in cost. I can but cucumbers of $.89 each at the grocery store or go to the fruit market and get 4 for $1. Yes, it means an extra stop, but $ wise it's well worth it. Since I have a fruit/veggie market close to my school I try to remember to stop on my way home. Otherwise, it's out of my way.

3. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jul 15, 2011

neglectful IS abuse. Yes, it's child abuse. You are essentially killing your child by allowing them to overeat.