Should marjiuna be legalized and taxed?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by kinderkids, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Apr 11, 2010

I agree. There are many prescriptions drugs that many people overuse. Besides, if marijuana gets legalized it should be for medical purposes only.

2. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Apr 11, 2010

Two wrongs make a right, don't they?

I don't want to be on the road with someone who has been smoking pot, not do I want to be on the road with someone who has been drinking.

They'd have to regulate the he!! out of it, which means a lot of people would ignore the regulations, which would annoy the cr@p out of me but would keep the police very busy. (Think instead of cruising down the highway swerving all over with blinkers on and headlights off (alcholic), you have a person sitting at a green light staring off into outerspace with very red eyes (stoner).

Don't laugh. I was once in a car with a pot head during college driving to Washington D.C. in the Shenandoah mountains and he got to thinking and before you know it, the car had slowed down to a crawl. Deer could have come out of the woods and stared at us.

Forget it. The only ones who should smoke pot are politicians who think they know the best way to teach.

3. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Apr 12, 2010

Nope to dope!

4. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 20, 2012

Bringing this old thread back as now Colorado and Washington have made pot legal.
    I didn't think I'd see the day this soon...but here we are. My feelings: I don't like it. Not that anyone cares. We have such a war on cigarettes and have banned smoking in public places statewide in many cases...yet this. I have heard that smoking 3 joints is equal to smoking an entire pack of cigarettes as far as carcinogens, etc. I just can't figure people out. :dizzy:

I'm curious how some of you who posted on this thread feel today.

5. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Dec 20, 2012

I live in CO...I voted for it and was thrilled to see it pass. It was already "decriminalized" in Denver and medical mj was already being sold anyway which I think was a step in the right direction too. Police can focus on real criminals rather than go after recreational smokers. I've never smoked and don't plan on it. I had a "brownie" once in college. I enjoyed the experience but it's not something I feel compelled to do on a regular basis (obviously, since that was years ago). Pot being legal wouldn't change that for me either.

To me it seems that legalization is the obvious choice. Prohibition didn't work, so why would this- and pretty much everything out there says that pot is a lot safer than alcohol. It's not like people who don't currently smoke are only avoiding it because it's illegal. Obviously it's a big topic of discussion around here since we were a state that passed it, and I haven't heard of anyone that's just waiting for it to be legal to start using it. Either they already do or they don't plan on it. Legalizing it allows police resources to be used for actual crimes. The amount of money they were spending on "going after" recreational users was absurd. Not to mention taxing it creates even more revenue! Also there are the benefits for many different kinds of health problems...it's really hard for me personally to even see the other side of this argument. As far as people using in front of kids or smoking and driving...I don't think that the type of people who would do those things are the same type who would be anxiously waiting for it to become legal and only start smoking then. Those people are already using it anyway.

The news around here is that it would be another year at least before we'd actually start seeing it being sold in stores, and it's kind of expected that the federal gov. will fight us on it. I know a lot of people (myself included) just saw amendment 64 has a "step in the right direction" with getting people talking about it and making the federal government see it as a real issue. Most don't expect that we will actually see it come into full effect for years to come.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Dec 20, 2012

One of my college professor's was high up in the Sheriff's department. He said he'd rather pot be legal than alcohol.

I have never smoked pot in my life, and I have no desire to. I am VERY against it. I grew up with an uncle who's life is centered around pot. He has never moved out of my grandparents' house (he is in his 50s). His only job was given to him by my aunt. He is a loser. It made me realize at a young age that I would never smoke weed. Seeing it first had and being around it all my life makes me dislike it more than most people.

However, the practical side of me says that so many people smoke it anyway, we might as well legalize it and rake in the tax dollars.

7. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 20, 2012

Hahhaa, just noticed the way I titled this thread makes me look like I'm smoking a joint. Marjiuna???? What the heck?

8. Darkhorse

Darkhorse Companion

Dec 20, 2012

I have never done any illegal drug of any kind including marijuana. I can count the number of times I've been drunk on one hand. I voted for Amendment 64 and I was thrilled to see it pass. I can honestly say I probably won't smoke, eat or otherwise use marijuana even though it's legal. I really don't like mind altering anything, even legal pain killers.

I think it's a great idea to take the drugs out of the hands of the drug lords and gangs and earn tax revenue off of it. People are using it already and in my experience alcohol is more dangerous than marijuana. Only time will tell if this was the right call, but I really think it's a step in the right direction.

9. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Dec 20, 2012

I'm not trying to insult you, but you are ignorant if you think marijuana should be illegal--You're ignorant. You're ignorant to the effects/uses of marijuana (hemp), you're ignorant to the impetus that worked to criminalize marijuana, and you're ignorant to the very concept of freedom & liberty.

I would daresay that the cannabis plant that marijuana is derived from, could easily be considered the most useful plant known to mankind.

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 20, 2012

I agree. I know of too many people who have done time for growing a few plants in their home. Ridiculous.

Does anyone know how this will be handled? We are a dry county and I want it to stay that way, so the idea of pot being sold in stores weirds me out. Heck, when I go to neighboring counties that are moist or wet, it just seems so strange to see alcohol. So is pot sold in specialty smoke shops...or everywhere?

I've said this since I was high school. Absolutely.

I never noticed it. :)

11. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Dec 21, 2012

I find it somewhat hilarious that some of the most rabid guns-with-no-restrictions people are also the most rabid about things like this.

Personally, I find it unconscionable that people with chronic illnesses like MS are denied a drug that can help them. MJ is certainly far less harmful than many of the pain medications that don't even help as much.

I lived in the Netherlands for a while. The attitude of most of the Dutch people I knew and lived with (college students!) was "eh, been there, done that." maybe once in a while, someone would would have a joint, but, mostly the coffee shops in A'dam, and Enschede were just filled with tourists (Americans and Germans mostly). I actually never have tried pot. Maybe I would have had the opportunity presented, but it was just not that big a deal to anybody. Probably because they were too busy drinking beer.

12. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Dec 21, 2012

I know around here people are wanting there to be "bars" that are specifically for pot rather than alcohol. We already have "speciality shops," but at the moment only those with medical marijuana cards can use them. I would assume that these same shops would continue in the future, but theoretically anyone could use them. I don't think it would be sold in grocery stores or any "regular" stores...but as far as I know, nothing has been decided yet. The issue is of course that it's still a federal crime, even if the state has decided it's legal. That's why many people don't think that actually selling it in legal shops will happen and saw the amendment as more of a stepping stone to get the federal government to get there. The idea is that if enough states can pass amendments like ours the federal government will "have to" take some kind of action about the laws on the federal level. Personally, I'm extremely interested to see how it pans out. I was shocked that it passed by such a wide margin here. We are a "swing state" and have some extremely conservative/religiously focused areas so it certainly wasn't a given. I was not expecting it to even pass, much less pass by such a margin.

13. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Dec 21, 2012

I know in Michigan (where it is legal for medical use- and super easy to get a perscription, too), you can buy it from a 'dispensery.' You can buy food laced with it, as well as the actual stuff to smoke.
    I guess it will be like a liquor store or something. (Here is NC, the state controls liquor sales- you have to go to a specific store to buy liquor.)

14. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Dec 21, 2012

Numerous studies have shown that isn't true.

I don't have a problem with it. Some of the smartest people I know are total potheads, but they know when to turn off the "pothead mentality" and get to work.

15. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 21, 2012

Well I just said I have "heard". If you have a study that shows otherwise...please post. I would love to read about this. However, I am sure I could also cite studies that contradict your studies I suppose, but that isn't going to do any good or get anywhere either. Just the nature of the beast, unfortunately.

Those who have replied to this have genuine held beliefs why they are for or against. I appreciate all sides of the argument. Going back to a previous post, I don't think calling someone ignorant about their point of view is necessary or useful in this discussion at all. As I said, there are two sides (at least) to any real debate. Calling someone ignorant for voicing their side ..well...is ignorant. :rolleyes: So, I would like to see all the said statistics mentioned by this poster as to defend his point of view, rather than just spewing out negative terms to the opposition. I am willing to listen and learn. Please show me what you are referring to. I am not ignorant, perhaps uniformed.:confused: So inform me, please.

I really would appreciate seeing SCIENTIFIC data that supports the pro side of this debate because from what I have gleaned, I haven't see anything positive from it, outside of medicinal uses. Until I see actual scientific data from both sides,I will hold to my point of view. However, I am not so closed minded as to not read said data and if I see profound evidence to the contrary of my belief, I could perhaps change my mind. See..I'm not so IGNORANT after all, just willing to learn. So educate me. :2cents: